1. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film An American in Paris

2-3. I think this movie could have been much better. Setting aside its vivid production values, its command over sentences such as the reconstitution of the torn, empty image of France (which is subsequently colored by the love of Lise) is impressive. But here, the musical interludes REALLY interrupt a plot that's too simple and weighed down by unfortunate implications. Great song and dance numbers, though.

2. LauraPalmer's rating of the film An American in Paris

Rewatched and re-loved. One more (colourful) reason to love Paris.

3. alchimia's rating of the film An American in Paris

I'm really trying to watch different kinds of cult movies, including musicals, but I fucking hate them. As much as I appreciate all the work behind them, here especially in the closing scene, I just can't bear the fact that all of this singing and dancing tries to hide the horrible plot.

4. Lauren Burrell's rating of the film An American in Paris

5. Cartaphilus's rating of the film An American in Paris

6. Carl Penguin's rating of the film An American in Paris

7. Vickie Retallick's rating of the film An American in Paris

"I don't need a paid escort. And I'm not trying to rob you of your precious male initiative. I'm interested in your work and want to know you better. Is that such a crime?"

8. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film An American in Paris

The razor-thin plot and heavily budgeted first 90 minutes are easily forgotten when witnessing the film's final moments of bombastic Hollywood glory.

9. Nolan Barth's rating of the film An American in Paris

Minnelli crafts a joyous musical that is full of a vibrant energy that almost can't be described. Minnelli makes Paris come to life like never before. The dance numbers are hauntingly beautiful, especially Kelly's 20 min ballet piece towards the end. However I didn't really connect to the characters or the story as much as I wanted to. I actually found the side characters to be much more interesting that the leads.

10. Janae's rating of the film An American in Paris

Three words: Gene Kelly's socks.

11. Aardsy's rating of the film An American in Paris

Beautiful film (with a somewhat lame plot.)

12. Duncan Gray's rating of the film An American in Paris

"You'll always be by my side," Gene Kelly says plaintively when Leslie Caron wishes him goodbye. And right behind me, a little kid asked his mom, "Is that because he's stalking her?" There is something kinda stalker-y about so many movie romances, which means they live or die by the charisma involved. Fortunately, Kelly had it. As for that little kid, when the lights came up, he said "That was a great movie!"

13. Alex Pintică's rating of the film An American in Paris

14. smndvdcl's rating of the film An American in Paris

The Studio sheen of Minnelli's 'An American In Paris' is hard to see past first time, but the dark horse that is Gene Kelly - a true moderate socialist. Here is a man embracing a compassionate, emancipating ethos through populist cinema. Arguably, an extension of Capraesque redemptive narratives, this classic fails to disappoint.

15. Landen Celano's rating of the film An American in Paris

16. Ethan's rating of the film An American in Paris

This is one of the more tolerable musicals. Gene Kelly just had a certain charisma that just sucked you in. Only we could have done without the twenty minute dance sequence.

17. Murat Erdem's rating of the film An American in Paris

Geçmiş hep güzel gözüküyor insana. Bu aslında film izlemek değil bir çeşit geçmişe zaman yolculuğu. Sanatsal gözle değerlendirebilmek çok zor bu yüzden bu kadar eski filmleri. İzlerken film dışında onlarca şey aklınızın ucunda. Tarih, yaşamın değişimi, sinemanın değişimi ve bir ton kişisel şey.

18. Andrew Miller's rating of the film An American in Paris

The colors evoke the promise of change-- a new scene, a new city will change your life. I'm not sure I believe it, even when watching.

19. SpacePirate's rating of the film An American in Paris

One of the best. I personally can't get enough Oscar Levant. Of course, this is the Gene Kelly show, so give credit where credits due. One of the hardest working men in show business. This one is a real stunner.

20. RoRoRoro's rating of the film An American in Paris

21. postblueink's rating of the film An American in Paris

22. Nabila Cyrilla Imani's rating of the film An American in Paris

Gene Kelly, please, never stop dancing

23. Daniel Metcalf's rating of the film An American in Paris

I wish I could be like Gene Kelly.

24. Burak Ozyilmaz's rating of the film An American in Paris

Un coup de coeur cinématographique donnant ses lettres de noblesses au genre, Minnelli prouve que, pour distraire le spectateur, il n’est pas nécessaire de faire dans le superflu. Une finesse d’esprit véhiculée par des danses élégantes, une musique raffinée, un casting hollywoodien implanté dans un décor parisien: en somme, l'extase. Merci Arte!