1. theminiwitch's rating of the film An Education

Not as good as I remembered when I first saw it. In a post-Weinstein world, the age gap is somewhat disturbing. Thankfully, Carey Mulligan's performance is subtle and complex enough to rescue the film from falling into the cliché of the young female student falling for an older male. Great secondary roles as well.

2. tomabroom's rating of the film An Education

This is a really hard one to rate - I found it at times excruciating because of the subject matter, and it feels just a little too sympathetic towards what is a predatory relationship. Being based on a memoir, I understand that it is focused on Jenny's experience and her longings to escape the monotony that seems prescribed for her by her background - but it still leaves me feeling pretty icky.

3. mis marg's rating of the film An Education

Unexpected revelation, capturing the period like a quick dash back in time. Adorable.

4. Martin Jensen's rating of the film An Education

Parents pimp out their daughter because they think it'll help her chances of getting into Oxford. The most disgustingly middle class thing I've ever seen.

5. aleorca's rating of the film An Education

Mulligan is great in this predictable yet enjoyable caper-as-romance film. Evocative depictions of teenage schooldays in SW London, I found myself eagle-eyed in looking for known locations around Twickenham and Hampton where I was 12 years younger than Barber, on whose experiences it is based. Certainly captures an era - but the gauche'flakiness' of some of the characters disguises the writer's ambivalent memories

6. janh24's rating of the film An Education

Finely acted, but leaves one feeling cold.

7. Adam Laurence Pitt's rating of the film An Education

8. John Burgess's rating of the film An Education

Oh bloody hell, what a diamond movie. Quite apart from Carey Mulligan being my all time heroine (dark hair, dark eyes; two weak spots) this is a gorgeous, mature, intelligent movie with a faultless cast. Molina gives painfully true support as the father who just can't get things right (spot a theme, gentlemen?); Mulligan's 16-going-on-22 is pitched just right & then Duffy makes you watch the credits right to the end.

9. Robert H's rating of the film An Education

A stiff but tasteful tale based on true events (apparently). Although the formula felt familiar, the film was well paced and told from an interesting and believable character, played by Mulligan - who I thought was fantastic. The ending wasn't satisfying, but it unfolded quickly enough towards the end. I also found myself admiring the era-throwbacks - the English middle class housing and schools....

10. Amy Cavender's rating of the film An Education

Nick Hornby's script eludes wit and wisdom, and allows the supreme acting to shine through. Carey Mulligan is the perfect protagonist - lofty and yet relatable. A great British film rooted in themes of love, deception, education, and above all what it means to grow up.

11. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film An Education

Based on Lynn Barber’s memoir, and written for the screen by Nick Hornby, An Education oozes quality from beginning to end. Lone Scherfig directs in a pretty straightforward manner that highlights the big plus points for the movie; namely, the dialogue and the performances. Deserving of a lot of the praise it received when released, although maybe not all of it.

12. jeanniemac's rating of the film An Education

Excellent movie, that conveys wonderfully the period, the mores and the place. Bases on Lyn Barber's autobiography, the parents of Jennie, an academically precocious but naive 16 year old, let their ambitions for their daughter blind them to the realities of her relationship with a much older conman. They collude with and encourage her involvement. Brilliant casting, especially the 2 leads and the father.

13. tegarbudi's rating of the film An Education

18. superjano's rating of the film An Education

Nick Hornby script + Carey Mulligan = good film

19. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film An Education

20. Bernardo Crastes's rating of the film An Education

Lovely and harmless movie. Overly simplistic, perhaps. There's not much to be said other than praise Carey Mulligan and the beautiful settings.

21. marlonbrandodepressed's rating of the film An Education

22. Palmat's rating of the film An Education

Very good movie with great acting and a keen sense of the period and its´ characters motivations. It is a pleasure to see the actors sparr off each other with such ease. A film experience filled with heartache and wonder.

23. Chris's rating of the film An Education

Man I was really loving it until the last act, the whole quick resolution fast forward is so lazy and disappointing, 7/10

24. marco's rating of the film An Education