1. Richmond Hill's rating of the film An Optical Poem

Delightful and stunningly simple (that means devilishly painstaking to achieve) piece of handmade art. The pedantic pattern-making is practically timeless. This is screaming out for IMAX re-release for a sensory blast.

2. Kadjavsi's rating of the film An Optical Poem

3. msmichel's rating of the film An Optical Poem

A milestone in animation. This frame by frame animated short set to the music of Liszt is quite phenomenal. Even more surprising is that this was produced and released by a studio (MGM)...experimental animation !!! Just imagine.

4. Stefan Drees's rating of the film An Optical Poem

German abstract film goes Hollywood. Fischinger's experimental works from the 1920s had a much more deeper impact than this colored one in Hollywood style. But nonetheless it's a nice and precise work. I think Walt Disney got a lot of inspiration from this kind of abstract dance of forms and colors.

5. Matt McManus's rating of the film An Optical Poem

What a person with synesthesia see when listening to music? Recently had a man who developed synesthesia after a stroke come talk to my Psychology class. After watching this short film, I can now understand his description of "riding the sound waves" even more. Such a fun film, but the thought of labor that went into it makes me want to go back to bed.

6. Juan Correa S's rating of the film An Optical Poem

7. Nathan Hopkins's rating of the film An Optical Poem

It seems like such a natural idea, though it must have seemed quite daring at the time. An Optical Poem is a beautifully choreographed dance of shapes and colors, and appreciating the time it must have taken to create this in 1937 adds to the wonderment at this experimental film. Give it a watch if you enjoy music and color, it's quite pleasing to the senses.

8. Ultra Kebab's rating of the film An Optical Poem

use this as soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_iO30bDEIw

9. Güven Şahinkanat's rating of the film An Optical Poem

I have read that this animator also worked in disney's old feature ''fantasia'' . I think timing and geometrical forms are very beautiful animated in this movie . Year 1938 and a man who was living in this world trying to make an experimental animation own his own ... This is masterpiece.

10. Chichago_'s rating of the film An Optical Poem

11. suede's rating of the film An Optical Poem

Sharper and brighter than Ruttmann's Opus 1, yet visibly analog – hence quite beautiful. How much work this must have taken.

12. WY's rating of the film An Optical Poem

Imagine this on a projection. Think paper.

13. kartina obskura's rating of the film An Optical Poem

i think i saw eternity. twice. and god. once. he said "use clonazepam every time you're about to watch abstract animations "