1. ejonline's rating of the film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

The media formats and the nature of the narration do come together to suggest the inner workings of a young man's struggles to figure out what went wrong. It felt a bit long, and in the end the film finally crawled up inside itself. Something about the narration, repetition and surreal art reminded me of late 60s/early 70's moviemaking or nouvelle roman's aesthetic distancing and formality (as opposed to formalism).

2. Eric Rucker's rating of the film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

A young movie in the best ways: searching, playful, willfully ignoring rules, experimenting, trying things on for size. I’m very curious to watch subsequent films. There were some veins of real poetry threaded through this one. Thank you, Mubi!

3. Loz Loory's rating of the film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

The structure of this was fantastic, as were the animated sequences and the voiceover commentary (bravo, voiceover artist--really fine job). I was blown away by the tour de force editing of the limited footage. Yes, at times I wished for more "action" plotwise, but I was still impressed. I hope that some studio has eagerly offered Nance the money to shoot more features. His talent is formidable and brilliant.

4. Paul Rot's rating of the film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

5. David R Williams's rating of the film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

Extra star for the artistry of the vision - but another where if a short film I would have been left wanting more, but when given more...I realize that less is more.

6. mpho3's rating of the film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

3.5 stars is an oversimplification of Nance's oversimplification. Such heavy doses of talent, bravado, and introspection sometimes have unwanted side effects: self-indulgence, narcissism, or overkill. I loved parts of it. I could relate to it, was touched by it, thrilled by the collaborative multimedia. But it also felt like a too big, unchewable bite of complex flavor. Choking. Spit it out. 5 second rule?

7. thelastronaut's rating of the film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

Sometimes the narration was a bit too much but there were parts that I loved. In particular, I loved the part where the narrator states that there are some people you love so much that you would manufacture time just to be around them longer.

8. G. Thomas Esmay's rating of the film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

7.5/10. AN OVERSIMPLIFICATION OF HER BEAUTY is an odd poetic form that's hard to pin down. Deeply personal, highly intellectual, extremely verbose. At times, however, the imagery of the film feels incidental to the more essential narrative essay being spoken aloud.

9. Ali Mossawat's rating of the film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

10. rachelldancer's rating of the film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

A heartfelt, comforting and intriguing film. A perfect blend of live action and the different forms of animation. The cinematography was beautiful, captivating and visually pleasing. A perfect mixture of reality and fantasy.When the mysterious woman stands him up, he begins over thinking and questioning his existence and his past- something we all do. The film is beautifully made and something we can all relate to.

11. Korial's rating of the film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

Beautiful, ingenious, and eclectic, at times impressive; though, rather verbose and way too convoluted and cathartic (for the bad).

12. Slappy McGee's rating of the film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

Like a graduate art project or spoken word visual piece, this movie is more of a subjective work that has an audience, I'm sure... but that audience is not me. There is certainly skill to be found at moments here. It's not the work of someone without talent... however... I just found it pretentious and amateurish.

13. Paul Sonnenberg's rating of the film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

14. ekeal9497's rating of the film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

"An Oversimplification of Her Beauty" is a film that defines something within yourself. This film perfectly describes what it takes to find someone or something you find interesting and go with it. The lighting in the film really drew up the suspense and mystery within the plot and characters. A very phenomenal film that will make anybody watching this rethink why this film is powerful in a way. I recommend to couple

15. Blakevon's rating of the film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

An interesting take on relationships and all of the noise that surrounds their complexities. I found my self not really wanting to sit through this hour and a half long film, but the little peculiarities of the film kept me watching. A mix of vibrant colors, cartoons, indie-ish music, modern jazz, and a love story are pretty much the key reasons why I gave this film three stars. It was a bit hard to follow.

16. Mtume Gant's rating of the film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

3.5. Really (Wish Mubi did halves)

17. flamingo jones's rating of the film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

Loved the inventive use of animation and analog film techniques to tell different parts of the story. Remained lighthearted, frank, and touching while offering profound musings on love, courtship, friendship, and emotional memory. An ambitious project that turned out formidably.

18. Zac Weber's rating of the film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

An Oversimplification of Her Beauty is an impressive visual love poem that utilizes an array of mediums. Beyond the unique editing, the story is very universal and heartfelt. The self-reflexivity becomes repetitive eventually, but the movie is still an enjoyable docu-drama.

19. dave gunn's rating of the film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

I loved this. There was so much courage and ambition in it, and while comparisons to "Four Eyed Monsters" may be fair, this is the superior of the two. Between unrelenting, poetic, honest introspection from the author and a delightful variety of artistic tactics, this was something of a masterpiece in my eyes.

20. El Biffo's rating of the film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

A film that lacks a compelling punch, but is obviously a labor of love. Terence Nance wrote, directed and stars in this film, as well as doing the animation and the music. Call it a film school project if you like, but as film school projects go, I give it an "A".

21. Skinnedteen's rating of the film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

It's like a 500 days of summer documentary. It was only interesting the first 30 minutes of the film

22. linuskendall's rating of the film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

A 20 somethings navel gazing - self-centered with a somewhat exaggerated idea of its own importance - not entirely unenjoyable. The animations and production style speak of something more interesting than the content.

23. Nikyatu's rating of the film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

lovely! This is not "black cinema" this is universal cinema.

24. FailedImitator's rating of the film An Oversimplification of Her Beauty

For the first 20 or so minutes, it was really fresh and engaging. Still, I really admire the ambition.