1. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Anatahan

A universal story that doesn't need subtitles. Highly recommended.

2. L'immoralistee's rating of the film Anatahan

3. FISCHER's rating of the film Anatahan

cette avant-dernière création du cinéaste, où il cumule à la fois les fonctions de réalisateur, de producteur, de scénariste, de chef-opérateur, tout en assumant lui-même la voix off de la narration, se présente comme une splendide virtuosité cinématographique, de part sa fulgurante mise en scène du rapport de l'homme au désir, de la femme à la séduction, de la civilisation face à la barbarie. www.cinefiches.com

4. le Gars's rating of the film Anatahan

4,5 "The ideal film will be a synthetic one" (Josef von Sternberg)

5. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Anatahan

Sternberg's best film? Well, it's definitely one of his most experimental, structured like he dove into one of his fantasias and reported on it like a newsreel. It's a fine and dandy allegory for the carnality that drives civilization, though I caught myself missing the wit and rapture of his more opulent Dietrich films. Still, this is a statement of his obsession: women transcending a world run and dominated by men.

6. Stephane Tanaka's rating of the film Anatahan

I'd like to love it: cult, rare, based on a serious true story (12 sea fishermen "imprisoned" 7 years with one pretty girl...); but... it's long and slow and too classical/theatrical (not in a Brooks or Greenaway way) and most of time not very catchy... Lack a bit of craziness and good shootings. I know, it was 1953...

7. Charles Coleman's rating of the film Anatahan

8. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film Anatahan

9. Warren Spratley's rating of the film Anatahan

Sternberg's greatest achievement?

10. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film Anatahan

11. Howard Orr's rating of the film Anatahan

A grim and beautiful film, full of light and shadow, movement and horror, and not a little wonder at the destruction man can wreak. I don't feel embarrassed to point out the obvious and say that the jungle is a metaphor for all that's dark inside us, or that it's oddly appropriate that the image of Anatahan at the very end of it could be Mount Fuji at the beginning of any Japanese film.

12. L. Nolan's rating of the film Anatahan

Stunning, supposedly true (?) story and brilliantly shot. I recall reading somewhere that it was all filmed in a studio.

13. chanandre's rating of the film Anatahan