1. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Aparajito

After Pather Panchali, I wasn’t expecting something this conventional, but that didn’t make Aparajito any less moving. If anything I responded more to this film. My mommy attachment issues run deep.

2. Slow Immersion [Joe]'s rating of the film Aparajito

2/3 in of the trilogy and it is getting better; really nice progression and although my favourite achievement in cinema (Yusuf Trilogy) probably took inspiration from this, I have always wondered why there aren't more works like them!

3. Lorna Singh's rating of the film Aparajito

The opening shot of the passing train sets the stage for a profound story of making decisions and their consequences.

4. FISCHER's rating of the film Aparajito

Toujours aussi magnifique et dense que la partie précédente de l'oeuvre... www.cinefiches.com

5. Ramona Arsene's rating of the film Aparajito

4.5 Goddamn it, Satyajit Ray :'(

6. ermete polpette's rating of the film Aparajito

7. Mr. Marston's rating of the film Aparajito

8. bibonoaozora's rating of the film Aparajito

9. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Aparajito

10. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Aparajito

What is most admirable about Ray's work is the way he deals with his subject matter. Often, it is some pretty hard stuff. But he is too smart to think that life is all tragedy and no relief. He's a master of the little beauties of life, and balancing the pain with the joy. No matter how bad things get, there is always hope in Ray's world.

11. HSBilly's rating of the film Aparajito

i shouldn't watch this, too many tears-maker moments.

12. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Aparajito

When I first saw this, I was young enough (in several senses) to miss the full poignancy of Apu's mother. A colleague at my first real job had to point it out to me.

13. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Aparajito

14. mikong's rating of the film Aparajito

the faulty and reductive boundaries between world films as pigeonholes of their own culture is shattered by the power of the imagery of this and the two other films in the trilogy. the films are not just about india but us as humans. ray, along with ghatak, has given us these films as a priceless gift to mankind.

15. Zac Weber's rating of the film Aparajito

Aparajito is a melancholy film that straddles the industrial transition of Bengali society and the subsequent shifts in consciousness. So many of the emotions conveyed by Apu and his mother feel universal and genuine. While I missed some of the charm found in Pather Panchali, Aparajito finds its strength by dramatizing transition and opposition.

16. Jason's rating of the film Aparajito

As Aparajito cover so much wider a swath of time than Pather Panchali, the sense of the cyclical, seasonal passage(s) of time becomes more foregrounded - of time eddying, of time lost (and found) - however, the requisite amount of story material that must be dealt with is amplified. We are invited to occupy this world, to be carried by its quiet currents, at the same time arriving at powerful, cathartic plateaus.

17. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Aparajito

The older you get, the more remarkable it seems that everything that happened to you is all the same life—it feels more like different mini-lives placed end to end. From the opening shots from a moving train, this transience is the heart of part 2 of the Apu Trilogy. Where part 1 was rooted in one place, part 2 cycles through locations & casts and ends before you get your bearing. Which is why I'm glad there's a 3rd.

18. John Baldwin's rating of the film Aparajito

In a sense, though I prefer Pather Panchali, this seems the most impressive of the trilogy. It starts out as a tale about a village family trying to survive in the big city (Benares), but a half hour in becomes a radically different and much more profound film about the tragedy of the parent-child bond. A good case could be made that Sarbojaya (the mother) is one of the most tragic female characters in films.

19. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Aparajito

Apu sigue cargando nuevas tragedias, pero en paralelo va construyendo su lado personal, ese que lo va separando tanto de su familia como de sus tradiciones. El personaje de Ray va asumiendo la senda de la madurez, de la autodependencia. Se va formando en el una suerte de dureza. Muy a pesar, no deja de sorprender esos momentos de sensibilidad innata. Pero hay más. Es también la historia maternal, sobre la abnegación.

20. Stevie's rating of the film Aparajito

Compelling sequel in the Apu trilogy with an impressive emotional impact.

21. Kamran's rating of the film Aparajito

REVIEW: 97/100. http://nextprojection.com/2014/07/05/sun-moon-films-satyajit-ray-aparajito-review-np-approved/ Ray’s Aparajito is an example of Indian Neorealism, wherein naturalism and depth come together through artifice as a means of expressing truth. The truth which Aparajito conveys is beyond words and beyond definition; one must experience the middle-child of Ray’s monumental trilogy for oneself...

22. Michael Harbour's rating of the film Aparajito

It's a rather Dickensian tale, but a muted Dickensian tale. The structural echoes of PATHER PANCHALI were in some ways pleasing, but made the ending very predictable. A lot to appreciate, but I wouldn't call it a "masterpiece."

23. Robert W Peabody III's rating of the film Aparajito

The Unvanquished (1956) Aparajito DIR Satyajit Ray SCR Bibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyay, Satyajit Ray DP Subrata Mitra 110 Min pars pro toto or totum pro parte

24. Jon's rating of the film Aparajito

It's missing the wonderful presence of the boy who played Apu in "Pather Panchali," but its emotional pull is just as strong.