1. Dada Kubin's rating of the film Aquarius

“Aquarius” is a movie with a message, a portrait of a strong woman who stands for knowing the past and enjoying the present. The bad guys come from a construction company and personify the greed and neglect of personal and historical values. Although it’s easy to morally agree with the message, the movie feels self-righteous and goes too easy on the protagonist. Otherwise a very solid film with a great main actress.

2. Diogo's rating of the film Aquarius

nice themes, great metaphors,

3. Lance L O T's rating of the film Aquarius

I wanted to give it a 4, but there's something off about the film. There's lots of good things, the acting, the plot, the past scenes, the love scenes and many many more, like the music and all. But it came to a point for me that it got repetitive and it didn't need more explanation, for example the children scene convincing her to move, not needed, we had got it. Otherwise, super solid and a great film almost 4!

4. Pavel Dumitrescu's rating of the film Aquarius

5. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Aquarius

6. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Aquarius

8.3/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-35A

7. dalena's rating of the film Aquarius

a woman who moves through time and space of her own pace, mapped by sentimental memories taking along her endurance passed down from generations ago. she is a butterfly caught in the midst of a great veil.

8. Francisco Mouraz's rating of the film Aquarius

9. Trunfos's rating of the film Aquarius

10. Pango's rating of the film Aquarius

Ageing is like a old record bought in a second hand shop. It carries knowledge, stories. It's like a message in a bottle. Even if it's old, is sound absolutely beautiful on the record player, as good as if you were listening to it with a model iPod, or even better. We live in a time where old is often scene as derogative adjective. It is not. Sonia Braga is the embodiment of ageing with class and strenght.

11. hemachandra's rating of the film Aquarius

Sonia Braga! Oh My! I seriously don't understand how she wasn't nominated for any major awards. She is sly and sensual, disciplined and dynamic in the way she delivers a complex performance at the centre of this candid yet powerful film, which is both Brazilian AND GLOBAL.

12. Jorge Mourinha's rating of the film Aquarius

A love letter to a woman. https://medium.com/the-flickering-wall/love-letters-5226ffe4cfc4

13. Chevalier de Pas's rating of the film Aquarius

I didn't know I needed so many scenes of Braga's luscious hair in my life, but I do now!

14. Isa Reis's rating of the film Aquarius

15. moniquekidman's rating of the film Aquarius

Sonia Braga is an unstoppable force in this film, which is not only an examination of the permanence of memory and history in objects and structures, but a tribute to the resilience of women and the importance of female sexuality as well. All of these concepts converge to create an evocative portrait of gentrification and resistance.

16. fearraigh's rating of the film Aquarius

An equally great follow-up to Neighbouring Sounds that maintains the same parsimonious hoarding of ambiguity. Braga's performance as the formidable hold-out Clara brings an unexpected freshness to a fairly familiar scenario. Mendonça Filho is once again great on the dialectics of class in Brazil and there are few films about older women as deeply sensitive and nuanced as this one. Another masterpiece.

17. chanandre's rating of the film Aquarius

[Not Even Ants] Aquarius: a Metronomy song; an astrological sign; a place for fishy fish and now an amazing film that plays homage to women, motherhood, memories, growing old, confronting greedy corporations, loving old bodies (from architecture's to the human body's), cars, beaches, buildings and music. velho vs vintage. Suruba vs Fine wine. Kleber um cineasta de futuro e do futuro.

18. Daniel Roque's rating of the film Aquarius

Com um elogio à nostalgia musical como banda sonora e uma Sônia Braga a mostrar porque é a rainha do cinema brasileiro, este filme nunca vai ser velho, vai ser vintage!

19. Igor Ramos's rating of the film Aquarius

Running at almost two and half hours, the film doesn't feel too long mostly because of Sonia Braga's magnetic presence. Her Clara is a complex lady that demands your attention at every look and gesture. A little too many moments lost re-enforcing just how smart/clever/poised the character is... but other than that, this was pretty marvellous to see.

20. msmichel's rating of the film Aquarius

Filho's film is a marvelous tale of a woman steadfast in her refusal to give up her apartment to urban renewal focusing on the importance of history and memory in our own living spaces. Sonia Braga is simply sublime in the film especially in a scene talking about a physical LP versus digital media which is lost on the person interviewing her. Film became a political hot potato at home.

21. JoaoM's rating of the film Aquarius

22. luís debonoir's rating of the film Aquarius

23. José Neves's rating of the film Aquarius

Digital. "Around" was part of the title of this filmmaker's previous film and this notion is added in this film in the terms of which cinema distinguishes itself: formally. There are constant moments when the camera seeks, perceives, perspective spaces, objects, people, details "around", unrelated to the main plot but a permanent immanence, concomitance of it. They are imponderable glimpses of an omnipresent threat.

24. Ana Sousa's rating of the film Aquarius

"Sorriso é coisa séria" ♥ Sónia Braga é a mulher mais elegante, charmosa e distinta que já tive o prazer de ver. Que obra de arte.

← Previous 1 3 4