1. Igor Ramos's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 1, the Restless One

Nem sei bem que dizer. O choque entre dois registos - a dureza e veracidade dos testemunhos documentais misturadas com a tolice dos segmentos satíricos da troika, da criança incendiária, do bizarro galo - resultam num filme difícil de caracterizar, que ora se estranha ora se entranha e cujas histórias mais não têm em comum que a intenção de retratar uma certa "portugalidade" (que é isso?): ora de ontem, ora de hoje.

2. Diana Vaz's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 1, the Restless One

Não sei se ria ou se chore.

3. MarcusArcus's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 1, the Restless One

4. -REM-'s rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 1, the Restless One

5. FISCHER's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 1, the Restless One

Imbuvable et prétentieux ! www.cinefiches.com

6. ant's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 1, the Restless One

Some of the chapters could have worked as individual short films.

7. Diderot's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 1, the Restless One

Gomes inherits a version of Godardian anxiety that seems potentially fruitful. I need to see the whole before I can have any real thoughts. On its own, this volume is nice but not very compelling.

8. Sara Sousa's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 1, the Restless One

2.8 I love Miguel Gomes' work, but this was so pretentious. Seemed like he had in mind the critics above all. It's a shame, because there's so, so much creativity here. The little stories don't add up in a meaningful way... This film is too self aware of its duty as a purportedly art film to convey an intelligent message.

9. Alex Pintică's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 1, the Restless One

10. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 1, the Restless One

I found the stories themselves more engaging than the postmodern frame, and the stories themselves were most interesting (and moving) when at their simplest, e.g. the straightforward interview sections towards the end. All this suggests to me that Gomes doesn't need to try so hard to be so "clever" with his material and instead let it speak more for itself.

11. EdieEmm's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 1, the Restless One

4.5. Like a meditative, post-modern Fellini. Gomes is a coherent conscience adrift in the incoherence of late capitalism's economic absurdism; of austerity & collapse. Initially close to overwhelming (esp. subtitled) as the viewer is all but plunged in to Gomes' subjectivity. But by the end it seems the only way he could've conducted this particular tour. Astonishing filmmaking. I'm hanging on for the next story...

12. Gonçalo Rosas's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 1, the Restless One

(Generous) 3 - I would forgive this film its affectations, as I would its narrative pomposity; its laziness and even its ungodly Paulo Coelho-via-self-help-flotsam pseudo magical-realist fucking pretentiousness, if it wasn't so mind-pulverizingly boring. I went into this wanting to like it, and I like the concept behind it; it deserves to be tackled by a director more full of ideas and less so of himself.

13. fearraigh's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 1, the Restless One

The second best of the trilogy, it takes a while to get going, and not everyone will be into it, but it is one of the most exhilarating films I have seen in recent years.

14. Angus George Alexander Brown's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 1, the Restless One

Whilst I appreciate I shouldn't have watched this film half-asleep, the abject quirkiness of some moments doesn't really carry for me. That being said, things like "The Tale of the Men with Hard-ons" are utter genius - more like this please Mubi!

15. BernardoL's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 1, the Restless One

Entendo a motivação política e até aplaudo a consciência social, mas sejamos honestos, à parte de algumas gargalhadas o filme é uma seca. Os “relatos dos magníficos” foram a melhor parte.

16. Andrew Tighe's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 1, the Restless One

17. Kaonashiii's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 1, the Restless One

Failed to watch the rest of the trilogy; MUBI marathon fail :-/

18. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 1, the Restless One

There's something particular about this trilogy: You just go in to the rhythm in a way that you could watch these vignettes for hours and hours, without notice. Masterpiece.

19. Nikola Enchev's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 1, the Restless One

It is rather unique but that is not necessarily a compliment...

20. DanB3000's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 1, the Restless One

Lots of loosely connected stories with a lot of pathos, just relax into it and there's warm humanity to bathe in

21. 'king Harold's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 1, the Restless One

I liked the ramshackle way it told the story, full of personality, without the usual film cliches, it seemed very free of history. The struggles of the people made me sad.

22. Jenny Coldpussy's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 1, the Restless One

So far, I think I would enjoy reading the script much more than watching the film.

23. Federico Boswarlos's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 1, the Restless One

24. goulton green's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 1, the Restless One

Fascinating movie. And so warm. http://www.filmcomment.com/blog/film-of-the-week-arabian-nights/ Masterpiece.

← Previous 1 3 4