1. Igor Ramos's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 2, the Desolate One

A primeira parte arrasta-se em torno do protagonista que não desperta grande interesse, não obstante o pitoresco cenário; uma segunda parte dedicada a um julgamento que começa divertido mas que rapidamente se desgasta perdido em historietas bizarras apenas para chegar à conclusão pouco subtil que é tudo um ciclo vicioso de crime e pobreza; a terceira e última parte é a mais forte, generosa e a menos pretensiosa.

2. -REM-'s rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 2, the Desolate One

3. bieup's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 2, the Desolate One

the last story was a+. but the thing about these sorts of films is like i get that we are encouraging contemplation and all that bullshit with minimal dialogue but i wanted to smack the filmmaker upside the head every time i caught what they attempted but that could not be communicated by visuals alone.

4. Diderot's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 2, the Desolate One

In the second volume, Gomes' film opens up to the playfulness of storytelling and becomes a truly great piece of work.

5. Mariana Basílio's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 2, the Desolate One

6. Blumes's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 2, the Desolate One

The first story here feels masterful.

7. Gonçalo Rosas's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 2, the Desolate One

6 - While not a particularly exceptional film, this is an absolutely massive improvement over the previous installment. The stories are less meandering, more succinct, and mostly free of the puerile, faux-whimsical musings (that, when present, are still executed far better) of its predecessor . It also still suffers from crude craftsmanship and appeals to emotion, but Gomes' presence is thankfully diminished overall.

8. launau's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 2, the Desolate One

9. fearraigh's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 2, the Desolate One

A film that can only really be appreciated as part of the trilogy. It sags a little compared to the other two parts but there are great moments, particularly the flight of Chico Chapas and the perigrinations of Dixie.

10. raggiodisole's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 2, the Desolate One

The concept of taking elements of real life misery, and imbuing them with a fantastical concept is OK, but the stories are mired in mundanity. Quirky but dull

11. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 2, the Desolate One

Maigcal, moral and universal... what a trip!

12. Jenny Coldpussy's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 2, the Desolate One

2.5 At times it was a delight, at times it bored me to tears. But now that I finished watching it, I have two unresolved questions boiling in my head: 1- Was "...the little whole to 10th B" some kind of poorly translated word play or just a typo? 2- For a low income home pet, Dixie had way too many fancy outfits. Was he secretly a drug dealer? After what I've seen from this trilogy, it wouldn't surprise me that much.

13. blyniukas's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 2, the Desolate One

It's like one of those random stupid dreams that makes no sense and goes nowhere.. I never enjoy those, so I found it almost impossible to relate to this film, on any level. it's just an endless blabber, for its own sake. It's not witty. It's not even absurd. It's just.. very dull and entirely useless mess, I felt.. Shahrazad wouldn't have survived a single night with this.

14. Federico Boswarlos's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 2, the Desolate One

15. goulton green's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 2, the Desolate One

16. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 2, the Desolate One

7.4/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2rs

17. vN44NvAA / noncivez's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 2, the Desolate One

18. Jason's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 2, the Desolate One

It's funny: though I suspect that Volume 2 is the least likely of the three to be programmed (in a festival context for example) on its own, independent of its bookends, in many ways I think it might be the one that works best as a standalone, perhaps, paradoxically, because the three separate pieces are so utterly distinct. The Desolate One is a masterclass on how to work w/ actors and non-actors in the same movie.

19. Kristina Tamelytė's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 2, the Desolate One

at some moments, it was unbearable

20. Absentia's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 2, the Desolate One

21. anarresti's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 2, the Desolate One

Chico Chapas is perfect as Simão 'Sem Tripas'. He is a non-actor. In a intriguing way. Unlike the Kusturica oddities that seem to fit the role and don't even need to act: they seem to have been found as they were presented, weird and wonderful and camera friendly. And unlike other non-actors in small roles in this very same film that are just bad actors (but don't harm the work). Chapas has a genuine uneasiness. *

22. filmcapsule's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 2, the Desolate One

Without the benefit of the framing device and documentary elements of Volume 1, 2 feels flat, groping for significance. Most surprising and disappointing is its paucity of movement and ideas. Images and concepts seemed to explore from Gomes' previous two projects, but Arabian Nights is static and occasionally even boring.

23. Filipe F. Coutinho's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 2, the Desolate One

24. Sónia Antunes's rating of the film Arabian Nights: Volume 2, the Desolate One

A melhor crítica social (e política) portuguesa que vi nos últimos tempos. A parte da juíza é talvez a minha preferida por ser tão cómica mas tão angustiante ao mesmo tempo.