1. Ethan's rating of the film Archangel

The look of this film is extraordinary and I love the use of silent film techniques mixed with dialogue. It's definitely surreal.

2. Thom Slattery's rating of the film Archangel

Intriguing take on wartime and loss through Maddin's love of silent cinema. I almost found it more difficult to follow with the fairly structured storyline after having just watched the psychedelic trip that is The Forbidden Room.

3. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Archangel

Certainly unique and ambitious. Not sure it was interesting enough to sustain my interest throughout, however.

4. corycorycorycory's rating of the film Archangel

Full star for the vision alone. Guy Maddin makes some dense, "visual" films. I had the same experience with this as I did with Forbidden Room, swept off my feet by the rapid and deposited on the other side.

5. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film Archangel

It's a difficult chore to review this film, but just consider that it's part of Maddin's highly stylized, narcoleptic dream world that is both a homage and parody of the war films of the early sound era. It left an impression on me -- characters lost in a fog (literally at times) and unable to grasp reality, an absurdist universe of short memories and confused wandering. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

6. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Archangel

Like most Maddin films, this one begs to be re-watched. There's just so much going on that it's hard to get it all in one shot.

7. Cyrus Cassells's rating of the film Archangel

I love Guy Maddin's inventive tributes to the beauty and power of silent films. This is full of gorgeous and striking black and white images, braided with faux-naif dialogue in tune with the sentimentality of a bygone era.

8. David Richards's rating of the film Archangel

Interesting visual style, but I'm not sure what he's getting at exactly.

9. Ruiz Buñuel's rating of the film Archangel

Some good ideas, somewhat unwatchable.

10. David R Williams's rating of the film Archangel

In Maddin's world silent cinema never died. The techniques and acting styles used at the dawn of filmmaking remained the standard. I love what The Guardian wrote about Maddin...that he is "mining the unconscious not only of his perverse psyche but of cinema itself." - indeed.

11. Tibulle85's rating of the film Archangel

Un film brut de décoffrage, tant sur un plan esthétique (c'est du Maddin donc plus vraiment de surprise de ce côté là) que narratif (le réalisateur ne s'attardant jamais vraiment à exposer son univers). Après, on retrouve les mêmes obsessions romantico-familiales que dans "Careful", mais l'humour en moins par rapport aux films plus récents. J'ai achevé le tout plus par curiosité que par véritable intérêt...:-(

12. Henri's rating of the film Archangel

Brillante idée que ce "muet parlant". Un film charmant.

13. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Archangel

14. Ludovic72's rating of the film Archangel

Un délirium total, jusque dans sa post-synchronisation échevelée. Tout s'embrouille de plus en plus, à l'instar des personnages amnésiques et condamnés à rejouer les mêmes actions (à quelques variations près)... L'atmoshère quasi-burlesque du début en devient finalement sinistre et oppressante.

15. Harry Rossi's rating of the film Archangel

What strange, wonderful experience. My first Guy Maddin film and I'm certainly very impressed. I loved the staged, yet completely bizarre and mysterious feel to it. And I loved the ending. I look forward to seeing more films from him.