1. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film As I Open My Eyes

2. Funda Can Çuvalcı's rating of the film As I Open My Eyes

3.5/5. It is the story of the relation between a mother and a daughter, how women are trapped in a traditional, Islamic country, a young girl's growing up and the beginnings of a country's upheavel. The story, the acting, the songs were nice.

3. Nabil Hamzaki's rating of the film As I Open My Eyes

"When I see this world Of closed doors I'm inebriated I close my eyes And everytime a girl appears to me Sometimes I think it's her In the end, is it her? It's another."

4. captainfez's rating of the film As I Open My Eyes

Much more face-punching than you'd expect.

5. Sachin Chavan's rating of the film As I Open My Eyes

Another passionately made movie on Mubi. It's the story of the teenaged rock singer who cries for freedom through her music, of the youth rebelling against a totalitarian regime, of a once firebrand mother who is torn between love and care for her daughter, and a country seeking self-determination in the build up towards the Arab spring. The lyrics and music are impactful and the acting moving.

6. findfilm's rating of the film As I Open My Eyes

A superb film ostensibly concerning a girl evolving to adolescence in Tunis. She the lead singer of a stunningly good band featuring her first love on amplified Oud. But there is so much more going on in this male-dominated society that is naturally hostile to confident and independent women. Spine-tingling moments when the band plays and tears when she is under interrogation or collapsed in the arms of her mother.

7. Jarek Tokarski's rating of the film As I Open My Eyes

At first you think that this is just a fun movie about living in Tunis, with beautiful people and beautiful music. But then the movie hits you right in your face.

8. Naila's rating of the film As I Open My Eyes

9. Caitlin's rating of the film As I Open My Eyes

10. Drew.'s rating of the film As I Open My Eyes

Has traces of a classic French Künstlerroman that would take place during May '68, but in its third act gives a proper postcolonial fuck you to those stories. The difference between low stakes teen rebellion and high stakes real rebellion. A beautiful film that balances the personal, political, and artistic with ease. And the music is divine.

11. Carlos Filipe Freitas's rating of the film As I Open My Eyes

... a genuine and articulate statement about human rights, well contextualized in its socio-political perception. (3.5 stars)

12. bogdann's rating of the film As I Open My Eyes

13. OldGermanCurrency's rating of the film As I Open My Eyes

14. Mihai Cristea's rating of the film As I Open My Eyes

A movie should be much more than a tearjerking jukebox.

15. Michael Zyx MH Claes's rating of the film As I Open My Eyes

Dans 1 Tunisie oppressante 1 étudiante & son copain cherchent en textes & musique à faire entendre le cri des jeunes. Le système va mettre sa détermination à rude épreuve. Tout est compliqué, reste à faire ... In an oppressive Tunisia, a student & her boyfriend try through the music to carry the cry of youth. The system will put her determination to the test. Nothing's simple, all is complicated and has to be done.

16. RoRoRoro's rating of the film As I Open My Eyes

17. Stephane Tanaka's rating of the film As I Open My Eyes

18. saitosouta's rating of the film As I Open My Eyes

Her sorrow & despair echo in Arab spring. Attractive soundtrack with lyrics like Emil Cioran's aphorism. Fresh and sour coming-of-age film.

19. Pipim's rating of the film As I Open My Eyes