1. DenoResandono's rating of the film Ashes of Time

I watched the Redux Version. In my humble opinion, ASHES OF TIME is director Wong Kar-Wai's overlooked masterpiece. It offered a different kind of Wuxia genre. Although I gave the same five-stars, I (slightly) liked this movie than CHUNGKING EXPRESS. It's poetic, intriguing, and beautifully filmed. I loved Christopher Doyle's camerawork from the first minute I saw this movie. I'm gonna watch this movie again soon...

2. josh scam's rating of the film Ashes of Time

a rare burst of machine gun poetry that seems simultaneously simple and chaotically complex

3. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film Ashes of Time

I saw the Redux version. I can't remember much about it except a lot of sand.

4. Eliza Lupu's rating of the film Ashes of Time

"The harder you try to forget something, the more it will stick in your memory. Once I heard someone say that if you have to lose something, the best way is to keep it in your memory."

5. Chelsea's rating of the film Ashes of Time

hard to grasp but visually stunning and probably wkw's most interesting film

6. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Ashes of Time

7. filmcapsule's rating of the film Ashes of Time

Lush, beautiful and evocative. Narratively, this film is notoriously sketchy and perhaps (consciously) underdeveloped, but this doesn't diminish the diverse visual impact of the experience. And by gesturing at characters and emotions in broad, sweeping brushstrokes, Wong foregrounds the haze of memory and the fickleness of love and human connection that becomes his theme.

8. Dale Wittig's rating of the film Ashes of Time

Containing the great Leslie Cheung most thoughtful performance, this is also Wong's most ravishing film. Again forgetfulness is a major theme and consolation for some of the heartbroken characters. Some seem unable to remember who they are from moment to moment. The flash editing style in the monumental battle scenes is elegant, disorienting and has to be seen to be believed (or not.) Drink the wine, forget.

9. ikkini's rating of the film Ashes of Time

Wong Kar Wai s'essaye au film de cape et d'épée, ni une réussite, ni un échec, ce film se laisse regarder.

10. ASHES IN THE HOURGLASS's rating of the film Ashes of Time

Interesting throughout but it never reaches an emotional peak even approaching those that can be found in Kar-Wai's best. Also, though it's an admittedly unfair criticism, I can't help but feel that the abundance of recent films with blue-orange color scheme that flood the market has somewhat tempered my enjoyment of this film's visual, with the exception of the shots of the women and horse which were sublime.

11. Sara Lucas's rating of the film Ashes of Time

12. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Ashes of Time

Desde su escondite, un hombre será testigo de drama ajenos. Forasteros a los que conoce poco o nada, pero que a fin de cuentas va reconociendo algo a fin en ellos. "Cenizas del tiempo" coincide el encuentro de individuos que han decidido abandonar sus tierras producto de una búsqueda o una carencia. Es bien a la aventura o al amor. Dicho destierro será estrategia para madurar cualquiera de estas necesidades.

13. teresa romã's rating of the film Ashes of Time

14. Jack D. Fleischer's rating of the film Ashes of Time

I lean towards throwing "pretentious" at this, but it still delivers on some fronts.

15. Luluah's rating of the film Ashes of Time

lame story but the cinematography was stunning.

16. Marv1n's rating of the film Ashes of Time

Un peu trop abstrait, on lâche quand même par moments... par contre j'ai rarement vu un visuel aussi somptueux

17. Moamen's rating of the film Ashes of Time

18. alina.juravle's rating of the film Ashes of Time

19. Lightintodark's rating of the film Ashes of Time

Ou-yang Feng: "People say, when you can't have what you want, the best you can do is not to forget. "

20. diana's rating of the film Ashes of Time

21. pkyg's rating of the film Ashes of Time

Gold from start to end.

22. Isiah Donté Lee's rating of the film Ashes of Time

"...the root to Man's problems is memory. Without a past everyday would be a new beginning."

23. joey Noodles's rating of the film Ashes of Time

Ashes of Time is a funny one, the visuals are wonderful and the last 15 minutes holds some incredibly profound moments, but I'm afraid the plot is ridiculously convoluted and makes little sense, making it a bit unsatisfying in the end. 3/5

24. Sandy Connell's rating of the film Ashes of Time

I can't see what all the fuss was about. Even Christopher Doyle brings his B-game here (beautiful birdcage shadows aside).