1. Dav I.D.'s rating of the film Ashes of Time

Wong was very fond of step-printing during the 90s. It works great for introspective images (such as through the rainy window in Fallen Angels), but its used to frustrating excess during fight sequences in Ashes of Time. So we get a mash-up of Wuxia "sword ballet" with confusing, nonsensical movement. But still, you'll gasp when Brigitte Lin summons pillars of water, or when Tony Leung blows a fireball off his blade.

2. Core's rating of the film Ashes of Time

Immagine senza parola: il paesaggio desertico in parte nascosto da una bandiera strappata mossa dal vento (A.V.).

3. Feellikeanumber's rating of the film Ashes of Time

4. Henrique Barbosa Justini's rating of the film Ashes of Time

as pessoas transitam num deserto (metafórico e literal) onde a memória errática se perpetua na colorida paisagem construída por wong kar-wai. em certo ponto, uma espadachim duela contra seu próprio reflexo na água e seu arrependimento é sentido por todas as personagens; elas querem reconfigurar o passado através dos relacionamentos presentes.

5. Naoya Kugimiya's rating of the film Ashes of Time

6. jhubbs's rating of the film Ashes of Time

Weak for Kar-Wai, but visually arresting. Plot makes more sense if you first familiarize yourself with the story it serves as a deconstructionist prequel to

7. 상빈 윤's rating of the film Ashes of Time

'Ashes of Time' offers a very rare cinematic touch, which is the time stretches and contractions. It detaches (already a lot scattered) narrative from the images (also got temporal modifications very oftens). A drag, that's what makes this film alive.

8. Teona Gal's rating of the film Ashes of Time

9. Peter Tran's rating of the film Ashes of Time

Beautifully crafted but emotionally incomprehensible.

10. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film Ashes of Time

Wong made this the same year as Chungking Express. The love story/tragedy is a bit hard to follow, so just let the color palette wash over you.

11. DenoResandono's rating of the film Ashes of Time

I watched the Redux Version. In my humble opinion, ASHES OF TIME is director Wong Kar-Wai's overlooked masterpiece. It offered a different kind of Wuxia genre. Although I gave the same five-stars, I (slightly) liked this movie than CHUNGKING EXPRESS. It's poetic, intriguing, and beautifully filmed. I loved Christopher Doyle's camerawork from the first minute I saw this movie. I'm gonna watch this movie again soon...

12. josh scam's rating of the film Ashes of Time

a rare burst of machine gun poetry that seems simultaneously simple and chaotically complex

13. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film Ashes of Time

I saw the Redux version. I can't remember much about it except a lot of sand.

14. Eliza Lupu's rating of the film Ashes of Time

"The harder you try to forget something, the more it will stick in your memory. Once I heard someone say that if you have to lose something, the best way is to keep it in your memory."

15. Chelsea's rating of the film Ashes of Time

hard to grasp but visually stunning and probably wkw's most interesting film

16. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Ashes of Time

17. Dale Wittig's rating of the film Ashes of Time

Containing the great Leslie Cheung most thoughtful performance, this is also Wong's most ravishing film. Again forgetfulness is a major theme and consolation for some of the heartbroken characters. Some seem unable to remember who they are from moment to moment. The flash editing style in the monumental battle scenes is elegant, disorienting and has to be seen to be believed (or not.) Drink the wine, forget.

18. ikkini's rating of the film Ashes of Time

Wong Kar Wai s'essaye au film de cape et d'épée, ni une réussite, ni un échec, ce film se laisse regarder.

19. ASHES IN THE HOURGLASS's rating of the film Ashes of Time

Interesting throughout but it never reaches an emotional peak even approaching those that can be found in Kar-Wai's best. Also, though it's an admittedly unfair criticism, I can't help but feel that the abundance of recent films with blue-orange color scheme that flood the market has somewhat tempered my enjoyment of this film's visual, with the exception of the shots of the women and horse which were sublime.

20. Sara Lucas's rating of the film Ashes of Time

21. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Ashes of Time

Desde su escondite, un hombre será testigo de drama ajenos. Forasteros a los que conoce poco o nada, pero que a fin de cuentas va reconociendo algo a fin en ellos. "Cenizas del tiempo" coincide el encuentro de individuos que han decidido abandonar sus tierras producto de una búsqueda o una carencia. Es bien a la aventura o al amor. Dicho destierro será estrategia para madurar cualquiera de estas necesidades.

22. teresa romã's rating of the film Ashes of Time

23. Jack D. Fleischer's rating of the film Ashes of Time

I lean towards throwing "pretentious" at this, but it still delivers on some fronts.

24. Luluah's rating of the film Ashes of Time

lame story but the cinematography was stunning.