1. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film At Berkeley

2. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film At Berkeley

3. josh scam's rating of the film At Berkeley

like a bad lecture on a good topic, it's only fascinating afterwards

4. Andrew Miller's rating of the film At Berkeley

The aborted, ill-planned student protest in this film has kept me thinking since I first saw it. What would be required to do better next time?

5. Jefferson's rating of the film At Berkeley

I was really blown away by the subtle build-up throughout the first half of the film. He portrays a multitude of perspectives and abstains from vilifying. I loved the man mowing all the grass.

6. EyesRus's rating of the film At Berkeley

Ayant été étudiante à Berkeley en 2010-2011 (au moment du tournage), je salue le côté ultra réaliste du film, qui passe à première vue au peigne fin tous les recoins du campus et a ravivé ma nostalgie californienne... Je trouve cependant ce documentaire bien morne, Wiseman n'ayant pas choisi d'angle d'attaque suffisamment précis au moment du montage. Au final, au moins 150 minutes de trop!

7. n/a's rating of the film At Berkeley

The best seminar you never had. It makes you wish you had skipped that mountain of college debt, and just watched this Wiseman masterclass instead. [cont’d]

8. Elena Lazic's rating of the film At Berkeley

9. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film At Berkeley

★★★★ processing relationships.

10. wolfmansRazor's rating of the film At Berkeley

Wiseman adopts the administration's POV wholesale. This would be disappointing in any case but given the considerable failures of this particular administration, it's particularly untenable. People speak in this movie in direct relation to their authority. Administration, faculty, students (whose speech is almost entirely mediated by authority), and (silent window dressing, never speaking) staff.

11. Mike A's rating of the film At Berkeley

Radical duration is standard for non-commercial movies these days, but it's rare to see it used to such verbal ends: not just to accommodate hours of bubbling speech, but also for a novelistic, dense portrayal of human activity and social dynamics. This is a doc that treats speech as a physical occurrence as well as a signifying act; it's about ideas in conflict with the material and social world. Masterpiece.

12. Aflwydd's rating of the film At Berkeley

http://jacobinmag.com/2013/12/at-some-other-berkeley/ This is an important critique. There is nothing objective about what is going on in universities both in the US and in the UK right now. Administrators are glorified PR agents, saying the right things while at the same time selling off our universities to the detriment of staff and students. I think Wiseman is one of the greats but I am uncomfortable with this.

13. © <',))( Astro-Tofupraxographer's rating of the film At Berkeley

“When you look at situations where changes have occurred, dramatic changes, always ask yourself, what is the backstory here? Who’s actually behind this, what happened before our great leader decided to actually do the right thing. What was going on before that? Ask yourself that question, and then look into that history yourself.”

14. Jesse Furgurson's rating of the film At Berkeley

There are limitations to the POV Wiseman adopts here (I found myself longing for more student time, less admin time), but that POV is put across with a beautiful complexity, intelligence, and sensitivity.

15. Macklemore's rating of the film At Berkeley

Exhausting, intelligent, powerful. One of the most important films made so far this century, capturing the zeitgeist of the Millennial generation better than anything produced by Hollywood this year. I'm so happy this got aired on PBS.

16. filmcapsule's rating of the film At Berkeley

Using montage to show us a familiar place under a new organizing logic, Wiseman also shows us how individuals become collectives. In his films, single images become greater than the sum of their parts in much the same way people do: with great effort and tremendous resolve. http://filmcapsule.com/2013/12/03/at-berkeley-2013/

17. Kilgore Trout's rating of the film At Berkeley

Heads up, film friends: At Berkeley, the latest masterful chronicle of this American life from Frederick Wiseman and the best documentary so far this decade, is airing on PBS tonight at 9pm. Set your DVRs, stay in on a Monday, it earns every minute of its 4 hour runtime and you owe it to yourself to see it.

18. Matthew_Lucas's rating of the film At Berkeley

The 4 hour running time of Frederick Wiseman's sprawling documentary about life at UC Berkeley may be daunting, but it's also a fascinating and essential portrait of the current state of higher education. An illuminating cross section of beleaguered administrators, idealistic students, and a thirst for learning. It's a behemoth, to be sure, but Wiseman's sure hand delivers something quietly stunning.

19. nrh's rating of the film At Berkeley

as in the best of wiseman's work, this view of berkeley the campus sits on the imperceptible line between clear eye-reporting and existential nightmare. ..most unforgettable moments - an empty library, strewn with the remnants of a stillborn protest; a classroom discusses thoreau's view of a pond as hidden place of murder, we cut to a janitor sweeping dust from a stairwell, the dust collects in great pools below...