1. Scorpio Velvet's rating of the film At Land

I wonder.... I wonder.... - such ever-changing moments Maya goes through as if this was her dream she's having. Another brilliant & surreal classic short in America's avant-garde cinema, and may have well be her masterwork (although I would say MESHES OF THE AFTERNOON has more of a special place in its canon).

2. kiras's rating of the film At Land

the og artsy-chess-on-the-beach scene

3. truffraud's rating of the film At Land

the sort of headache that makes your head feel like its made of metal and you understand concepts and abstract frameworks but humanity escapes you. symbols without signifiers. or something

4. ermete polpette's rating of the film At Land

5. Amanda Violetto's rating of the film At Land

6. EdieEmm's rating of the film At Land

Fluid and oneiric, but not surrealist. More like... curvilinear. A path, if a tricky one, with snakes & ladders; social norms & vast expanses; compulsions & constructions (and enough escape hatches to make it fun to play in). But primarily, insistently, directional. Narrative. Our diligent act: unmasked. That's the bit that's so beautiful! Irrationality - not forcibly created, just gracefully, intuitively, exposed.

7. Mariana Basílio's rating of the film At Land

8. Mighty Quinn's rating of the film At Land

Maya on the beach, the waves in reverse motion, her climbing up a tree only to land in a dinner party. These images still remain striking after seventy years, and her experiments with time and space are pretty innovative. I'm not quite sure the meaning of the film, but I was entranced. A more languid piece than "Meshes of the Afternoon", but almost just as good.

9. AdrianM.'s rating of the film At Land

10. mad.lucas's rating of the film At Land

Maya Deren was more like a one-woman-band: acting, writing and directing her own movies in a masterful - almost magical - way. "At Land" left me even more obssessed with her than before.

11. Jason's rating of the film At Land

The earth is a place we never belonged. Thankfully some of us were never actually here.

12. Michael Harbour's rating of the film At Land

Waves in reverse look cool. Props as an fairly early "avant-garde" or "experimental" film. Playing with the tools is a good thing.

13. Polyglot's rating of the film At Land

I'm in love with Maya Deren's hair

14. Monsieur Arkadin's rating of the film At Land

Maya Deren's best film, in my opinion. Much better than even "Meshes."

15. Aimee's rating of the film At Land

16. © <',))( Astro-Tofupraxographer's rating of the film At Land

Vital and Visceral. Sensual and Sexuelle. Favourite moment: when a cat appears in Maya's arms and then plops out. <',))(

17. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film At Land

A interesting feminist piece, Maya Deren viewed the world in a way which many people of her time would call deviant. She was ahead of her time!

18. Danny Indio's rating of the film At Land

In all of my favorite Deren films, Maya creates at least one powerful image that lasts with you like you just woke up from a dream. In this film, for me it was: the retreating wave dropping her off on the beach, her climb up the tree to the chess board and the walk with the man(men) on the road.

19. Indrek's rating of the film At Land

Not a pleasant feeling having these kind of dreams, though pleasant watching them awake. Especially starring the lovely Maya Deren...

20. Andrés Pff's rating of the film At Land

she was way ahead of her time

21. Neither/Nor's rating of the film At Land

More than the ocean sucking.

22. Low's rating of the film At Land

23. Chard's rating of the film At Land

24. jimmylorunning's rating of the film At Land

Maya sliding down the rockface-- Maya going over the sand dunes-- The water reflecting off her rockface--