1. DrFirestone's rating of the film Atlantiques

I appreciate handling the difficult topic, which might serve as an eye opener for those looking down on immigrants or opposing illegal (or legal) immigration. There are some truly poetic moments, filled with nostalgia, hope and despair - mainly the discussion by the campfire. It doesn't seem to work well as a whole though - the different parts feel fragmented, awkwardly put together.

2. panagiotatos's rating of the film Atlantiques

3. Leo Andreiko's rating of the film Atlantiques

A strong, touching portrait of living in sub developed countries and grasping the opportunity of a better life.

4. Massimo's rating of the film Atlantiques

5. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film Atlantiques

Contains individual ingredients that each have their own distinctive feel and poetic potential - intriguing and tantalising - but does Diop succeed in blending them into a coherent whole? Of that I'm not so sure.

6. dionysus67's rating of the film Atlantiques

A minimalist, ecovative and touching portrait of human dilemmas, expectations, ethical demands, prejudices, existential aporia, set in the context of a social milieu plagued with material deprivations of sorts. The plight of men is treated with dignity and the ending compresses the drama with economy and symbolic resonance. Highly recommended.

7. fecalis's rating of the film Atlantiques

Mati Diop filme un témoignage qui nous apprend vraiment quelque chose sur la dure réalité de l’émigration clandestine :le désespoir qui vous donne tous les courages.

8. joao.crepschi's rating of the film Atlantiques

Serigne já não está...Deus, tampouco..

9. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Atlantiques

4.1 stars. I felt more human for having watched this, which is an amazing thing cinema can do. Anyone who has mouthed off about illegal immigrants should watch this, as should anyone who has had friends to help ward off the darkness. It's rare to find an object that looks more beautiful shot on grainy digital than on film, but Diop succeeds with (what I believe to be) the rotating lamp and lens of a lighthouse.

10. poetboi's rating of the film Atlantiques

over my head. a shame this keeps happening. beautiful long shot of the boat and wonderful cinematography.

11. captainfez's rating of the film Atlantiques

STOP TOUCHING THE GODDAMN FIRE, DUDE.

12. Superfrog's rating of the film Atlantiques

I like the text a lot and the image supports it.

13. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Atlantiques

A short film from Mati Diop that shows some Senagalese friends discussing the perils of their journey, this is slight but just intriguing enough to be worth your time. It perfectly illustrates the risks taken by illegal immigrants and what people are willing to risk for a new life that is far from guaranteed to work out well for them.

14. guillermo's rating of the film Atlantiques

Nice insights into the complexity of identity. This is not only about Senegal, life, death, and the materiality of human existence. This is about being human. A short film that thinks about us while we think about this film.

15. EdieEmm's rating of the film Atlantiques

Quiet power. A sort of micro-verite, like a 16 min zoom into (beacon onto) these actual moments being had in Senegal. (Registers a bit, sensorily, like the memory of being there.) And to hear these young men expressing so frankly (because that's how you express your reality) emotions that we recognize get to stay, for most of us watching, mercifully untapped... The lighthouse beacon shots at the end were beautiful.

16. Rex Freeman's rating of the film Atlantiques

Please, gentlemen, do carry on. Don't let us interrupt you.

17. Jesse Furgurson's rating of the film Atlantiques

My first instinct is to note some similarities in style and concerns with Claire Denis, but Diop is very much on her own poetic wavelength, which on first exposure is a little too elusive to pin down.

18. mpho3's rating of the film Atlantiques

Marked by a lack of cohesion but surprisingly seductive. "Look at the ocean. It has no borders..." "Yet it offers no branches to hold on to."

19. SueRay's rating of the film Atlantiques

20. barebeauty's rating of the film Atlantiques

"It's hard to say goodbye to people you love. One cannot say: Goodbye, I'm leaving to die!"

21. El Biffo's rating of the film Atlantiques

"Believing in yourself is part of worshiping God in Senegal."

22. Zac Weber's rating of the film Atlantiques

An intriguing story; however, the film never reveals anything about the lives of its subjects. Who is their community? Where do they live? The fireside dialogue felt like listening to someone talk too long around a campfire. I did enjoy the juxtaposition between the opening close-up of the recorder, and the wide shot of the small boat drifting in the ocean. The use of mixed media was also a welcome sight.

23. ADZERTY's rating of the film Atlantiques

Un court métrage tragique et poétique dont l'atmosphère et le rythme m'ont rappelé les films de Tarkovski. Magnifique illustration musicale !