1. Jesse Furgurson's rating of the film Atlantiques

My first instinct is to note some similarities in style and concerns with Claire Denis, but Diop is very much on her own poetic wavelength, which on first exposure is a little too elusive to pin down.

2. mpho3's rating of the film Atlantiques

Marked by a lack of cohesion but surprisingly seductive. "Look at the ocean. It has no borders..." "Yet it offers no branches to hold on to."

3. SueRay's rating of the film Atlantiques

4. barebeauty's rating of the film Atlantiques

"It's hard to say goodbye to people you love. One cannot say: Goodbye, I'm leaving to die!"

5. El Biffo's rating of the film Atlantiques

"Believing in yourself is part of worshiping God in Senegal."

6. Zac Weber's rating of the film Atlantiques

An intriguing story; however, the film never reveals anything about the lives of its subjects. Who is their community? Where do they live? The fireside dialogue felt like listening to someone talk too long around a campfire. I did enjoy the juxtaposition between the opening close-up of the recorder, and the wide shot of the small boat drifting in the ocean. The use of mixed media was also a welcome sight.

7. ADZERTY's rating of the film Atlantiques

Un court métrage tragique et poétique dont l'atmosphère et le rythme m'ont rappelé les films de Tarkovski. Magnifique illustration musicale !