1. ZiggySan's rating of the film Au hasard Balthazar

Even though the acting is rather bad, I still love this movie. I can't even explain why.

2. Jacques de Villiers's rating of the film Au hasard Balthazar

Bresson manages the difficult feat of simultaneously using Balthazar to put human cruelty under the microscope, whilst respecting the ‘non-human-ness’ of Balthazar by refusing to translate a donkey’s experience of the world into the dinky Disney-eque terms of the human. It reminds me of what Gayatri Spivak said: 'All are equal but all are not the same'. This film is a moving demonstration of that principle.

3. Dave Muñoz Velasco's rating of the film Au hasard Balthazar

A film filled with endless poetry and unforced symbolism. This is a work about the objectivization of, not only animals, but of women, children, sickness, wealth and religion. Looking at Balthazar being eaten alive by the problems in his world is like looking oneself in the mirror, while society turns innocence and purity to suffering and blind cruelty. A true work of art from one of the greatest directors.

4. nvmore's rating of the film Au hasard Balthazar

5. Didonne's rating of the film Au hasard Balthazar

Il y a quelque chose de définitivement bouleversant dans la souffrance des bêtes lorsqu'elle est infligée par l'homme. Bresson choisit d'aborder la cruauté de l'existence à travers la vie d'un âne, un animal humble, la proie des mauvais traitements, le témoin des errances des hommes, quelquefois aimé, le plus souvent maltraité. Un film qui prend aux tripes.

6. Paul Rot's rating of the film Au hasard Balthazar

The Saddest Film Ever Made.

7. headofhair's rating of the film Au hasard Balthazar

I didn't care about any of these characters, it was painful watching the donkey get harmed, and the plot was complex, boring and hard to follow. Meh.

8. DrFirestone's rating of the film Au hasard Balthazar

I truly enjoy abstract and surreal experiences. With that said, the plot here is absurd, and not in a good way. Apart from Anne Wiazemsky the performances aren't captivating (to say the least), which does not help. Basically, a story of sadistic people obsessed with a donkey... There are a couple of promising moments of greatness, certain dialogues or the cinematography, but overall the film left me disappointed.

9. Ma-rewind's rating of the film Au hasard Balthazar

Portrait, grandiose de simplicité, d'une impitoyable nature humaine. Et quelle image.... Et quelle actrice... Touchée, vraiment!

10. dandyarriaga's rating of the film Au hasard Balthazar

I will forever say that this is the saddest movie I've ever seen. An absolute masterpiece.

11. Sergey Belov's rating of the film Au hasard Balthazar

12. captainfez's rating of the film Au hasard Balthazar

So you don't think people are shit, eh?

13. darioscha's rating of the film Au hasard Balthazar

Balthazar y la hija me recuerdan a el Agnus dei de Zurbaran, Burro en lugar de Cordero los dos personajes se funden en ese simbolo que tiene que sacrificarse en una sociedad consumida por la violencia, los ritos y la crueldad

14. Elena's rating of the film Au hasard Balthazar

15. qw0aszx's rating of the film Au hasard Balthazar

Life is devastating, Balthazar doesn't understand this cruel world but he watches it all the time. ★★★★☆

16. abunchoffilms's rating of the film Au hasard Balthazar

Quite possibly the simplest yet, one of the densest experiences one can see.

17. samuraiargento's rating of the film Au hasard Balthazar

Un hilo conductor: la vida de un burro y como se relaciona con un mundo pequeño y rural, una excusa para retratar un mundo inmovil y en apariencia bucólico pero que, implacable, se debate en un durisimo mundo sin piedad.

18. Federico De Bonis's rating of the film Au hasard Balthazar

Full of poetry, this is the first film I watch from Bresson and is heartbreaking. Somehow I think, this movies are the ones could make a better world if everybody watches.

19. Ben Nash's rating of the film Au hasard Balthazar

I was going to make a 'Clerks II' joke but then I decided against it.

20. Peregrine's rating of the film Au hasard Balthazar

The best donkey film out there. No film is more simple and more pure than this one. We're all Balthazars crushing under the weight of fate. There's cruelty and kindness. But mostly cruelty.

21. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Au hasard Balthazar

22. Stefan Drees's rating of the film Au hasard Balthazar

A film with few words and beautiful cinematography, full of symbolic gestures and strong visual compositions. I think there is also a strong political subtext.

23. Dory Bakiewicz Ehmer's rating of the film Au hasard Balthazar