1. dreamseed's rating of the film Essays

Today Switzerland mainly evokes banks, watches and probably some expensive cheese. So the rural roots of this tough mountain country, the uncanny and rugged innocence of a village school is a wonderful revelation and reminder. The documentation is precious in its arrangement of this small but profound theme: the dream and reality of growing up in one's natural environment.

2. Eric Rucker's rating of the film Essays

3. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Essays

Captures the naivety of life - which includes the pain and suffering of daily living, but without the pride associated with it through 'maturity'. The children's essays are a brilliant window into the contradictions of experience.

4. darioscha's rating of the film Essays

Un documental corto que combina ensayos escritos por niños en un día normal de escuela, hay una intención de equiparar la imagen con el discurso visual para ver por una ventana sus vidas.

5. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Essays

6. SpacePirate's rating of the film Essays

I enjoyed the look at rural Swiss life in the 60s, but thats about it. Extra star added for the location photography, otherwise not much to recommend here. I found the narration dull and uninspired. 2 stars

7. EdieEmm's rating of the film Essays

Charming, eg “die Lehrerin”, or Nils who had 'frights' on the way to Lapland. But perceptibly uncanny: Children’s voices, & their child’s perspectives of the world, represented through this distinctly adult lens. Something sombre & reflective; already nostalgic when it was made (& Nestler’s ‘kids’, by now maybe w/ grandkids that age…) And subtly, hauntingly distanced; space for winds to howl between image & word. 3.5

8. Gabo Acosta's rating of the film Essays

Its simplicity is overwhelming!

9. Loz Loory's rating of the film Essays

Endearing in its assumption of innocence and benevolence. No problems with obesity, but darker things always happen in homes, schools, and villages.

10. DrFirestone's rating of the film Essays

The footage gives us a brief glimpse into the life of a small school in Swiss mountains in the 1960s. I appreciated this part of the film; there doesn't seem to be much behind it though, and the whole experience left me rather indifferent, perhaps something was lost "in the translation"...

11. konochingo's rating of the film Essays

I don't mind subtitles but I think I would've liked this better if I spoke the language of the film. The emotional resonance of the children's voices would've likely been much more palpable. The visual material didn't do much for me. Would love to read this as a short book, there's definitely a poetry to it.

12. Monkey Flix's rating of the film Essays

So in 1960s Switzerland, fourth graders are allowed to light a fire unsupervised. In 21st century America, fourth graders aren't even allowed outside the house unsupervised.

13. nvmore's rating of the film Essays

14. Mafalda Costa's rating of the film Essays

15. Superfrog's rating of the film Essays

Great format of kids from rural Switzerland reading essays about their lives. Surprising format for a good doc short.

16. panagiotatos's rating of the film Essays

7/10 children reading their essays about their school life, while we take a glance at their activities. Nice one.

17. fearraigh's rating of the film Essays

An interesting take on school days in a small Swiss village. It's a smart idea to hand over the narration to the kids themselves, who have an incantatory quality to their stilted speech. It's reminiscent of The Langley Schools Project in its roughly hewn, unschooled eloquence.

18. caution's rating of the film Essays

Interessant, aber ziemlich nervig durch die Schülerstimmen, die ihre Aufsätze vorlesen.

19. Bilouaustria's rating of the film Essays

A beautiful short film i would have loved to shoot myself. Simply a great concept, where sounds and images compliment each other nicely. There is poetry is the texts, but the voices are naturally an important element as well : so much personality passes through the voice. I did not know Peter Nestler. I surely want to see more now.

20. Clara's rating of the film Essays

21. captainfez's rating of the film Essays

SHE HAS AN AUTOMATIC WATCH.

22. Chearth's rating of the film Essays

23. tinderness's rating of the film Essays

Der Kosmos einer Landschule in der Ostschweiz. Kinder lesen in holpriger Sprache Aufsätze vor, die ihren Schultag beschreiben. Die Bilder jedoch, die die kruden Ton aus dem Off begleiten sind anders Liebevoll und gar nicht distanziert machen sie die jungen Menschen in ihrem Universum komplett und zeigen ihren Weg sich und ihre Welt ausdrücken zu lernen.

24. Michael Diers's rating of the film Essays

Die Einsamkeit und das raue Leben in den Schweizer Bergen aus Kindersicht. Schöne Bilder und teils witzige Formulierungen in den Aufsätzen.