1. Markus Baumknecht's rating of the film August in the Water

The way the strangeness of everything is captured is breathtaking. Japan is a perfect backdrop for the sterile surrealism of this film. The soundtrack is truly special - so subtle and yet all the more wonderful.

2. lIZUKA's rating of the film August in the Water

Intense stone. Even stoned.

3. dalena's rating of the film August in the Water

i swim through compounds of myself and i carry the working junctions of the universe in the cartridges of memory that quench me. sunken images from our ancient sky threading together a reality shape-shifting like sand collapsing towards a puncture of the earth.

4. Anthony De Luca's rating of the film August in the Water

I love a Japanese film set in the summer. You can really feel that heat beating down on you.

5. TheCentralRuhr's rating of the film August in the Water

Ideas of new age mysticism and science-fiction are treated with such reverence that Ishii transcends their generic limitations. A sublime, ineffable experience.

6. matelot's rating of the film August in the Water

7. Juan D.'s rating of the film August in the Water

Surely one of the best scenes of "caracther acknowledge its new superpowers" i had ever seen in any media..

8. C҉ă҉t҉ă҉l҉i҉n҉'s rating of the film August in the Water

Even maps can encourage solipsism, prescribing users to ignore them and find their own way. The more they walk and look around the more they’re drawing out new webs of associations between fragments that liquefact under the melting charm of canicular paralipomena: How can all things be distributed, dispersed? How can they communicate in a state of constantly being ripped apart and rearranged, but without completely ↓

9. kartina obskura's rating of the film August in the Water

ishii might have films with plot-flaws but who cares when he creates other worlds. flow, fly, sink, immerse, float, forget. then hug the stone.

10. Ostermyers's rating of the film August in the Water

Ishii is still thiking beyond with punk or some metaphysical stuff !

11. Arisu's rating of the film August in the Water

12. Ciprian David's rating of the film August in the Water

And end-of-century and fresh start film. abounding in occultism i cannot cope with. As I wrote in a recent Text on Ishii, the swimmers and their diving plattform as a temple for diving as a sacred movement were my favorite parts.

13. Viktor Pedersen's rating of the film August in the Water

"August in the Water" often moves into the realms of the indescribable. Creating a state/ sensation where words and analysis is pointless, leaving an deeper feeling of relation to nature and how to appreciate each other while we are still here. Rarely does sound and image join together in such a perfect symbiosis of evocative power. Spiritual and definitely unique.

14. nrh's rating of the film August in the Water

A deeply strange film, even from the eccentric Ishii. Working without even the trace amounts of thriller mechanics found in "Labyrinth of Dreams" and "Angel Dust," he relies here almost entirely on hypnotic, associative image work... Be warned - this film does include pre-Millennial new-ageisms, including talk of UFOs, astrology, and psychic communication with dolphins.