1. FISCHER's rating of the film Baby Doll

Toute la puissance et l'intelligence d'Elia Kazan, dans ce superbe drame "sudiste". Le trio Malden / Baker / Wallach est incomparable. Une inamovible réussite du 7e Art... www.cinefiches.com

2. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Baby Doll

3. Diderot's rating of the film Baby Doll

As Pauline Kael wrote, this is probably "the only movie ever made in which the heroine invites a man into her crib". It might also be the only movie in which Eli Wallach is convincingly and compellingly seductive.

4. wiwitaek's rating of the film Baby Doll

5. grotescsetorg's rating of the film Baby Doll

6. Aardsy's rating of the film Baby Doll

Another calm, even-handed Tennessee Williams work.

7. Log Lady's rating of the film Baby Doll

The reason I liked this was precisely because none of the characters were particularly likeable. The sticky Southern Gothic atmosphere and the sleaziness mixed with bizarre humour really make this a gem, that I'm surprised not more people know about. Has the typical Williams themes, but hasn't been compromised for Hollywood. All of the performances are amazing, but Wallach in particular is striking.

8. SpacePirate's rating of the film Baby Doll

Malden and Wallach give two of their most memorable performances. Baker is also in top form as the object of everyone's desires. Not my favorite Kazan, or Williams, but a high point for sure in both of their careers. 4.5 stars

9. yasdnil's rating of the film Baby Doll

Half sultry, compelling drama with beautiful cinematography. Half annoying, sticky nightmare. I typically enjoy Tennessee Williams anything, but I couldn't attach myself to this one. It was a very uncomfortable experience.

10. AdrianM.'s rating of the film Baby Doll

11. Filipe F. Coutinho's rating of the film Baby Doll

I'm told this screen adaptation differs greatly from Williams' original play, and that only goes to prove that Williams was, indeed, a great screenwriter as well, one that understood the medium and how to write for an audience. Elia Kazan directs it to perfection and Eli Wallach just knocks it out of the park.

12. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film Baby Doll

★★★★ trophy wives bring all sorts of problems.

13. Ike Cinecult's rating of the film Baby Doll

Very Sexy indeed. Great naturalistic acting from small but powerful cast.

14. Jaspar Lamar Crabb's rating of the film Baby Doll

Carroll Baker is a half wit white trash prima donna and Karl Malden is her lunatic husband...both undone by black clad "villain" Eli Wallach. A classic slapstick tragedy to be sure.

15. Scott Harn's rating of the film Baby Doll

This is one of my favorite movies of all time. The electricity bewteen Eli Wallach and Carroll Baker is fantastic; it's too bad she went into obscurity in the '60s and '70s when she started doing a bunch of crappy Italian giallos. Not only was she a tremendous actress, but she was uniquely beautiful.

16. chasemiddaugh's rating of the film Baby Doll

Eli Wallach has always been a great actor, but I had no idea how much of a bang he started his career with. The argument could be made that his first role was his best. Carroll Baker proves she can act in this film as well.

17. Joseph Hefner's rating of the film Baby Doll

It's basically "A Streetcar Named Desire" without the rape scene... or the likable characters. While it has its moments of great acting and direction, it stumbles due to poor source material centered around a group of rather amoral figures about whom we neither worry nor care.

18. Donald R. Monroe's rating of the film Baby Doll

I love Tennessee William's characters-- you love all of them yet want all of them to be shot dead.

19. Harry Rossi's rating of the film Baby Doll

This movie is fucking unbelievable. Loved it. Very sensual and suspenseful and wonderfully acted.

20. MarcH's rating of the film Baby Doll

I never knew Carrol Baker could act.

21. Catarina C Gomes's rating of the film Baby Doll

I was watching it in a very defensive way, it's hard to go along with it. The acting looked very overreacted. Baker didn't sell a 19 year old to me, although she is laughing like a child all the time... I confess I was waiting for something else because it looked like a good idea.

22. Cassandra Taylor's rating of the film Baby Doll

Watching Archie Lee lose it. And Baby Doll twisting both of the men yet being so absent minded. I dunno I just love it. Cotton, Betrayal, and Fires works of a perfect movie.

23. Greg S.'s rating of the film Baby Doll

Weird, offbeat ,racy, surprisingly funny, southern Gothic, seemingly constantly shifting tone.... in short a subversive little masterpiece. I can't understand why Wallach is praised for the Good, the Bad and Ugly while his work here is seemingly unknown.

24. lauli's rating of the film Baby Doll

One of the sexiest scenes ever.