1. Matthew Martens's rating of the film Ball of Fire

Or: Eliza Drumboogie, the Seven Dwarfs, and One Very Tall Cornball. (Or something like that.) There are more than enough sparks here to compensate for the occasional sputtering, and more than enough Stanwyck--root, zoot, cute, and, you know, also solid--to compensate for Cooper's comparatively flat feet and stilted delivery. Fully conjugated fun, kids.

2. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Ball of Fire

7.5/10, my review: https://wp.me/p1eXom-3dB "BALL OF FIRE excels in conflating different genre fodder (comedy, musical, gangster) into a helluva ride of a modern fairytale, and runs away with our affection on a moment’s notice"

3. Ethan's rating of the film Ball of Fire

Barbara Stanwyck and Gary Cooper are an absolute delight here and this is another comedic gem from the great Howard Hawks who really knew how to make entertaining pictures.

4. LauraPalmer's rating of the film Ball of Fire

She is love https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcRlcdbDpTk

5. FISCHER's rating of the film Ball of Fire

Petit chef-d'oeuvre d'humour et de sourires, souvent ignoré ou méconnu par la cinéphilie française, qui nous vaut un merveilleux spectacle de divertissement où la fraîcheur du sujet égale la qualité de la réalisation. Howard Hawks a encore sévi pour notre plus grand plaisir, alliant avec subtilité quelques séquences fort émouvantes avec de nombreuses plages d'humour délirantes au possible. www.cinefiches.com

6. Risya's rating of the film Ball of Fire

Howard Hawks and Billy Wilder, no wonder its good. What a cast, just a joy to watch! And I just can't not love Barbara.

7. Adina's rating of the film Ball of Fire

8. Aardsy's rating of the film Ball of Fire

Ye old prof studying slang falls for a stripper thrope.

9. patríciapinho's rating of the film Ball of Fire

i love him because he doesn't know how to kiss, the jerk

10. Love Walked In's rating of the film Ball of Fire

That 'putting towel on the back of the neck' thing is transmitted from Gary Cooper to Barbara Stanwyck. So is the clicking tongue of Barbara to the charming 'seven dwarfs'. Epidemic.

11. Erik F.'s rating of the film Ball of Fire

12. Landen Celano's rating of the film Ball of Fire

It's like Shakespeare. Yum yum.

13. caitlin.f's rating of the film Ball of Fire

14. 5000yearoldbogmummy//Rhett's rating of the film Ball of Fire

Luxurious comedy with light-hearted screwball antics and a good sense for ensemble. As per usual I love Dan Duryea.

15. KingBeard's rating of the film Ball of Fire

Fantastic. A perfect screwball.

16. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film Ball of Fire

Billy WIlder's script is da bomb (90s slang). Written while he was in Germany and adapted for U.S. audiences, the wordsmithing and 40s slang is a howl -- to hear the debate on "corny" sent me to the moon. The story benefits from this all-star crew of character actors, including Clarence the angel and a guy who was in D.W. Griffith's Intolerance. Stanwyck is the glue, the bon vivant who falls hard for the bumpkin.

17. Randall KC Kau's rating of the film Ball of Fire

No other screenwriter threw in a reference to Richard III in a comedy!

18. dAlton Anthony's rating of the film Ball of Fire

Really, 3.5. What you see is what you get. I love Stanwyck but Ball of Fire almost gets a full four stars for Mr. cool Gene Krupa and the eternal Roy Eldridge. This is the kind of movie I watch when I get tired of stuff like L'immortelle. I also like it because it is a perfect example of the classic Hollywood period. Just straight ahead 180 rule and standard three point lighting. Just wind it up and let it go.

19. Nacnud Schmalz's rating of the film Ball of Fire

Strange plot-point cuz it's from back in the day when saying "I do" in front of a Justice of the Peace was supposed to actually somehow be a major, huge deal. Ah, Screwball, you're the hoi-toi-toi.

20. Eric Rucker's rating of the film Ball of Fire

Gary Cooper has real comedic chops! Some of the dialogue in tense moments with the unfinished sentences and what have you could be dropped straight into a Coen Brothers script.

21. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Ball of Fire

So many great character actors in this one! At the end I was hoping Robert Osborne would come on and give us some more information about the film. Like "Howard Hawks recalled that for the scene in which Bertram reveals his feelings about Sugarpuss in the darkened bungalow, cinematographer Gregg Toland coated Barbara Stanwyck's face with black grease paint so that her eyes would stand out."

22. A:A's rating of the film Ball of Fire

I'll be Stanwyck's mark anytime, anywhere. And if I can be Gary Cooper, all the better.

23. Matt Schlee's rating of the film Ball of Fire

Corny Hollywood at its finest, straight off the cob. Ball of Fire was so hilarious and charming, I never wanted it to end. Every character is more delightful than the last, and Barbara Stanwyck is at her best. The highlight is the (as expected) clever screenplay by the legendary Billy Wilder, which will have you laughing out loud throughout.

24. Bernardo Anderson's rating of the film Ball of Fire

A very fun and well made romantic comedy. Funny group of characters!