1. Joel's rating of the film Ballad of a Soldier

"Don't touch my bubbles!" Everything that's sweet and bitter about life that stubbornly goes on despite difficult times. Sure it's a tad melodramatic at points but we'll call it the excess of poetry. A real sweet story elegantly shot and humanely told. Grateful for it.

2. Aardsy's rating of the film Ballad of a Soldier

To be poor and Russian... so romantic!

3. Caitlin's rating of the film Ballad of a Soldier

On a brief leave from the army, a young soldier makes his way home. Over the course of his journey, he witnesses a wide range of the human condition across Russia during World War II. "Poetic imagery" indeed. The light is beautiful. There are stunning close-ups and scenes that capture the vast landscape. The storytelling is full of emotion. I loved this film from start to finish.

4. Enrico Gaudenzi's rating of the film Ballad of a Soldier

Storia di un soldato in viaggio verso casa, tra disillusione, amore e l'umanità varia che i registi russi amano mostrare quando parlano del loro paese. Atipico e arioso film di guerra, da riscoprire.

5. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Ballad of a Soldier

Un básico del cine soviético. Chukhrai una muestra del cine como medio de adoctrinamiento. El viaje y percances de un soldado será excusa para mostrar el perfil perfecto de un héroe para el Partido Comunista. Temas como el valor, el compromiso y la martirización serán bondades que el protagonista irá aflorando. En paralelo, el filme no deja de tejer ese lado humano. Una estética simbólica que embellece lo funesto.

6. ЖЕНЯ Gelbelman's rating of the film Ballad of a Soldier

this film is a russian classic... even though it is propoganda it is well made

7. KKeating's rating of the film Ballad of a Soldier

Despite the fact that the film is completely unrealistic, it is a beautiful slice of cinema and Chukhrai did an amazing job given his restraints. Alyosha is noble in his naivety and his journey back to his mother is a study in morals and principle. When watching this film, crying is a definite possibility.

8. Gylfi's rating of the film Ballad of a Soldier

Saw this just one week after watching Kalatozov's 1957 masterpiece The Cranes are Flying, I urge anyone to do the same. There are many interesting similarities between the two films. Both are poetic meditations about what effects war has, in Cranes on the family and friends of a soldier and in Ballad on the towns, the landscapes and the citizens who populate the war-torn area. Many unforgettable scenes, a real treat!

9. This is Jake Kath's rating of the film Ballad of a Soldier

10. Harry Rossi's rating of the film Ballad of a Soldier

Honestly less engaging than I hoped it would be but by no means a bad movie. Loved the visuals very much but I couldn't get connect to the central character at all. Good story, great visuals, just wish it did more for me emotionally.

11. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film Ballad of a Soldier

12. João Eça's rating of the film Ballad of a Soldier

if all films could be this beautiful...

13. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Ballad of a Soldier

Once in a while, I get slapped in the face by a film, more and more rarely, I must confess. It was the case with Ballad of a Soldier. Lyricism at its best. Masterpiece.

14. Nicole Cecile Holland's rating of the film Ballad of a Soldier

15. cristiananananana's rating of the film Ballad of a Soldier

16. Gus's rating of the film Ballad of a Soldier

17. John Smith's rating of the film Ballad of a Soldier

18. aelder's rating of the film Ballad of a Soldier

This is a beautiful, empathic and thoughtful film filled with longing for what was only glimpsed.

19. Landen Celano's rating of the film Ballad of a Soldier

This film had me weeping more than any other war film I've ever experienced. Such glorious storytelling and commentary on the personal and humanistic effects of war. It gives me shivers just remembering it.

20. Andre A. Neves's rating of the film Ballad of a Soldier

One of the most lyrical movies I have ever seen. I saw it recently and touch me the deepest.

21. Tony Stark's rating of the film Ballad of a Soldier

The happiest war movie I've ever seen.