1. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Ballad of the Little Soldier

2. Sean's rating of the film Ballad of the Little Soldier

Very intriguing and gripping.

3. naokoken's rating of the film Ballad of the Little Soldier

This was a case of being thrust into a situation with very little context that was both rewarding and horrifying to watch. I liked that there was no moralizing narration, just footage.

4. Tyler Barton's rating of the film Ballad of the Little Soldier

A made-for-TV documentary that should've been feature length, it definitely had more story to tell.

5. The Boreal Chorus's rating of the film Ballad of the Little Soldier

5 stars, and not only because the politics and logistics are trivial, whether reported objectively or in a biased fashion; and Herzog knows this. I’m not sure I’ve ever felt such pain while watching a report in which so little happens, even as it serves as a ballad about ‘men without women’ which will always carry us back to childhood.

6. Thom Slattery's rating of the film Ballad of the Little Soldier

A sad look at the creation of child soldiers. And while I appreciate the need to emphasize the horrors brought upon them by the Sandinistas, I feel Herzog waited too long to show the universality of the issue. Only at the very end does Denis Reichle's commentary point out how it's no different from his own experiences. And, unfortunately, I think that point gets lost in such a short work.

7. dAlton Anthony's rating of the film Ballad of the Little Soldier

i like historical footage so i could give this four stars no matter the content. but i just don't trust propaganda films like this. is it true? isn't it true? who is this guy anyway? and the title? ugh...I thought it was going to focus way more on the plight of child soldiers. i did some research and apparently this film caused a lot of protest. it was accused of being a one-sided tool for Reagan's Contras.

8. mpho3's rating of the film Ballad of the Little Soldier

"Ballad of the Little Soldier is not a rabble-rousing film. It's both a lament about the idiotic state or the world and a song in praise of the human spirit." - Vincent Canby, New York Times

9. David R Williams's rating of the film Ballad of the Little Soldier

32 years ago..... Denis Reichle talks about his own experience serving as a child-soldier in the Volkssturm now 72 years ago....how far back can you go I wonder? To the beginning? Today there are thousands of child soldiers around the world...how much further will we go allowing this to happen...forever?

10. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Ballad of the Little Soldier

Not enough follow-through for a better rating. But an interesting and sadly disturbing real-life look into these poor kids' lives.

11. Victor Gonzalez's rating of the film Ballad of the Little Soldier

Miskito children against sandinistas. A piercing document on the Nicaraguan Revolution.

12. ionosonde's rating of the film Ballad of the Little Soldier

short, depressing portrait of a depressing situation. relatively light on the history and heavy on the toll that combat takes on people and cultures. lots of people doing awful things on every side. reichle's interjection at the end was real as hell and provided a lot of context into why this movie was made at all. it made it a movie of solidarity as opposed to just one of observation.

13. Mark Tallo's rating of the film Ballad of the Little Soldier

Very sad. I wonder what happened to these children who by now must be entering their forties.

14. Zac Weber's rating of the film Ballad of the Little Soldier

A nauseating documentation of tragedy. There's a political angle at play, but I think Herzog was most interested in capturing the horror inflicted on the Miskito children by the Sandinistas and their own people. This is certainly a precursor to Joshua Oppenheimer's 2012 film, The Act of Killing, although Ballad... is more journalistic in its construction. The last couple shots are so potent.

15. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film Ballad of the Little Soldier

A bit slight but with a reportorial quality that keeps it moving forward, especially in the first half. In contrast to what others are saying here, I found it a bit slow going once it just focused on military maneuvers and why the kids were fighting the Sandinistas (mainly because they killed the rest of their families). But a nice look at a peaceable Indian tribe forced to take up arms.

16. Omus's rating of the film Ballad of the Little Soldier

This is a bit slight as documentaries go. But there's no denying Herzog's passion when he latches on to a subject.

17. corycorycorycory's rating of the film Ballad of the Little Soldier

Wow, wow, wow. Why did it take me until subscribing to Mubi to finally watching Herzog films.

18. John's rating of the film Ballad of the Little Soldier

Watching the militarization of children makes me sick to my stomach. Thanks again to Herzog for showing us so much of the world.

19. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Ballad of the Little Soldier

Herzog's most journalistic doc, probably owing to the fact that it was a partnership with a journalist. The first two thirds are a swift, passionate, factual genealogy of how war spreads, but it's the last 15 minutes that are truly brilliant, paradoxical, and Herzogian: the sight of child soldiers, part caught in an endless cycle, part desiring to take an active role in it, and part still very much children.

20. misgenc's rating of the film Ballad of the Little Soldier

This documentary manages to capture the innocence of the kids so well. Even brainwashed, we see how childish and happy they are and they don't even know what fighting is actually going to be like.

21. ronny's rating of the film Ballad of the Little Soldier

intensely musical, but amidst the beautiful harmonies woven through the film lurks the twin specters of fear and hate, dropping on your doorstep endless fuel for the ceaseless fire of death.

22. Neil troost's rating of the film Ballad of the Little Soldier

fascinating access to the culture, the people, in a very turbulent time. sadly the director chose to make the people seem pathetic, rather than emphasize the desperation that leads an obscure jungle people to enlist even their children to fight against the ills of the socialist agenda.

23. Landen Celano's rating of the film Ballad of the Little Soldier

Not to trivialize the rest of the movie, but everything you need to take away from this film is in the handful of its last few compelling, complex shots.

24. Eric Adkins's rating of the film Ballad of the Little Soldier

Ah... Herzog films, this little ballad of life and childhood represents the ready child, the fresh souls to train to fight the designated bad troops who killed their families. Call it career soldiering or what they have left in their circumstances of life, albeit young and trainable(brainwashable)... These children seem to get training, like deadly boy scouts, of course "comrades" would be the wrong word choice here.