1. Oluseyi's rating of the film Ballast

3. Dries's rating of the film Ballast

4. marco's rating of the film Ballast

12 bad reasons to call a film great

5. dialupmodem's rating of the film Ballast

modern rural bleakness captured really well, I get the sound thing but they could have manipulated another medium for the same effect that's why 4 stars

6. Layla La Fleur's rating of the film Ballast

Agonisingly visceral, poignantly depressing with screaming loud silences. This film is incredible in its characterisation and cinematography.

7. m.jempson@btinternet.com's rating of the film Ballast

Such melancholia... Can't imagine anyone had much fun making this film. A grim but strangely refreshing (?) change from urban Black 'realism'. And convincing but understated acting by non-professionals that some pros would kill to be able to emulate.

8. jcroc's rating of the film Ballast

Not an easy watch. Sometimes you wonder where its going, but I was glad I'd stuck with it by the end.

9. raggiodisole's rating of the film Ballast

A pair of headphones did the trick for deciphering the dialogue. At it was worth it. Well-defined story with great acting, very solid, and really quite profound and simple

10. kimsha100's rating of the film Ballast

Looks like it could be good but impossible to decipher indistinct soundtrack and local slang. Needs subtitles.

11. SiIencio's rating of the film Ballast

What really stands out in this film is the originality of the language Hammer proposes to establish a conversation with the viewer. The audio is deliberately blurred so the viewer takes a more prominent & active role in interpreting the story. The cinematography reinforces the backdrop & mood, one of desolation & solitude, hopelessness. The film certainly feels real & authentic when stripped down to the bare bones.

12. Amyx's rating of the film Ballast

Simple, bleak, realistic, good acting. I liked it I agree with the last comment though that subtitles where needed in parts,

13. anwoody's rating of the film Ballast

I wish it had subtitles. My inexperienced ear struggled with the mumbled drawl. Cinematography is effective, the scenario makes for interesting dynamics and character development.

14. Leigh Collins's rating of the film Ballast

Oddly compelling. Not much dialogue or much happening, but I couldn't tear my eyes away.

15. Ben Dooley's rating of the film Ballast

A neorealist drama about the fallout from a man's death, as his twin brother attempts suicide while his estranged wife and child escape poverty through working at his family’s store. A de-dramatized script, with narrative ellipses and careful limits of audience knowledge, while a poetic hand-held style makes good use of shallow focus and jump-cuts. The (non-)actors offer muted but extremely powerful performances…

16. Scotch's rating of the film Ballast

A nice, thoughtful and quiet piece about love that harkens back to LA's Black neo-realist films of the 70s. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this trend of White filmmakers making movies about poor Black people (eg. Welcome to Pine Hill, Beast of Southern Wild), but the portrayals aren't racist. It would just be nice to see more filmmakers of color making these kinds of films.

17. Andre Rehal's rating of the film Ballast

A great realist drama with some very good performances from the non-professional actors, it reminded me of Soderbergh's film "Bubble" but with higher stakes emotionally.

18. Rakeem's rating of the film Ballast

Ballast boasts some beautiful cinematography and a stunning performance from Tarra Riggs, but it didn't have the impact I was anticipating.

19. Ash's rating of the film Ballast

This film blew me away. I can't believe that the actors have never been in a film before!! The characters were incredibly well-developed which allowed me to emphasize with them and their situation. Cinematography was beautiful, all and all 5/5 hands down.

20. KJDoree's rating of the film Ballast

Haunting, spare and gritty. Some segments a bit too low-key, but the world exposed is heart-breaking. Excellent performances from non-actors.