1. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Ballet mécanique

Seems to hint at intrusion, invasion - bodies both human and machine fuming under extreme duress. A foundational example of image assaulting emotion, reason, and taste - from this perspective, it's pretty clear this film added tools to the filmmaking toolkit.

2. FISCHER's rating of the film Ballet mécanique

Comme souvent dans la fantasmagorique panoplie du cinéma expérimental, on peut être subjugué par le déferlement sauvage et pulsionnel d'images qui réveillent des substrats de l'imaginaire et de l'inconscient ou tout simplement indifférent, hermétique, non concerné par le défilement anarchique et inconséquent des images... www.cinefiches.com

3. Crina Cătălina's rating of the film Ballet mécanique

(2.5) Trippy and somewhat interesting, but it kinda tests your patience. Mine failed so I skipped through it. Too long for such an experiment in my opinion, but I am granting an extra 0.5 for it being an early piece. Maybe another watch some other time.

4. Namsai's rating of the film Ballet mécanique

maybe i subscribed to mubi to discover something like this ?

5. fearraigh's rating of the film Ballet mécanique

An arresting Dada curiosity that can't help but feel dated (a bit heavy on the kaleidoscope). Still, there are some brilliant effects in it, particularly the cross-cutting of the old and young women, not to mention the portrayal of machinery, which underlines Welles' view that cinema was the greatest toy train set a man could ever have.

6. katerpink's rating of the film Ballet mécanique

Dadaism, there are no rules. The title counterposes with images - ballet has nothing in common with machines and sharpness. How our lives are more and more repetitive. Disturbing music. Not for epileptics, though.

7. Herman Witkam's rating of the film Ballet mécanique

I'm not sure who composed the score to the version shown on Mubi, as the score is a total cacophony, rendering this film totally unwatchable. It's a shame that this composer was so full of shit, as some great imagery is shown.

8. AVA's rating of the film Ballet mécanique

Entgegen jeder Vorstellung tatsächlich ein Balett.Ein Eckiges.

9. Gustavo Herrera Taboada's rating of the film Ballet mécanique

The images and the rhythm create an electrifying concoction of a film. Proves narratives are inessential to make cinematic art.

10. Ekaterina Chernyaeva's rating of the film Ballet mécanique

Incredibly important work in the history of cinema, video and art. I wonder if we find more meaningful details in this work than it was consciously meant to be.

11. OrfgenT's rating of the film Ballet mécanique

Ein heute noch beeindruckender Film. Welch verstörende u. faszinierende Wirkung er 1924 gehabt haben muss! - das Zusammenspiel von Ton u. Bild, das Repetitive, das Kaleidoskopartige, die Bewegung und Geschwindigkeit. / Even today a breathtaking impres. film. Which distressing and fascinating effect he must have had 1924! - the interaction of tone and picture, the repetitive, the kaleidoscopic, the movement and speed.

12. Tutu888's rating of the film Ballet mécanique

I appreciate the sense of freedom that brings a new form of art. Must have been very impressive in the twenties.

13. Vincent T's rating of the film Ballet mécanique

14. Harrywolf Krstl's rating of the film Ballet mécanique

15. Terry_Moby's rating of the film Ballet mécanique

There should be more films like this!

16. En Sangers Bøn's rating of the film Ballet mécanique

With "anemic cinema" this is the film which introduced the spirit of dada on screen, a strange ballet between abstract forms and figurative expressions.

17. Ruiz Buñuel's rating of the film Ballet mécanique

VJ, stop scratching the dvd!

18. Kim Nyman's rating of the film Ballet mécanique

19. tsamaroden's rating of the film Ballet mécanique

Well that was an experience. Interesting to see everyday life seeming juxtaposed with strange editing and the movement of machines. Are we nothing more than movement, existing as machines in a machine dominated world? Or is the whole exercise meaningless and a farce, much like what life may be like? Its hard to know, but short films like Ballet Mecanique help keep these questions alive for those willing to watch.

20. EdieEmm's rating of the film Ballet mécanique

I'm struck by the way these meditations on, or drawn from, the mechanical are fast becoming archaic in our post-modern, predominantly digital ordering of life and thought and theory. Compelling, but almost in the same way as something like steampunk: Either could be the true predecessor of our age; both capture the imagination, seem equally improbable... Meh. Musings aside: The brash, relentless dance of modernity.

21. Renton47's rating of the film Ballet mécanique

I wonder what it would have meant to see something like this in 1924. Would it have justified any suspicions of the role technology was coming to play? Or would it have seemed like liberation from flesh and blood? Or a fusion of the two; the ballet and the mechanical of the title.

22. Matt McManus's rating of the film Ballet mécanique

The amazing visuals and striking score along set this film apart from others for me, First introduced to this film in a week of film class dedicated to avant-garde film, with a line up of people like Stan Brakhage, Maya Deren, Luis Buñuel and many more, Lèger's 'Mechanical Ballet' was the first film we tackled. Subsequently, my introduction to avant-garde film making at it's purest, is the one that has stuck with me

23. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Ballet mécanique