1. spasmolytic's rating of the film Barfly

I don't regret watching it, but once is plenty. If I never set foot into another dive bar in my life that would also be just fine.

2. Karl J. Kipling's rating of the film Barfly

3. Thomas's rating of the film Barfly

I agree with many of the other reviews on here, that Mickey Rourke 'tries too hard'. The affected manner he adopts becomes tiresome and ends up stifling his downbeat performance and natural charisma. Still, some good dialogue scenes and Faye Dunaway was an inspired casting choice.

4. Alp Yenibalcı's rating of the film Barfly

5. Anita G's rating of the film Barfly

Thought Rourke was trying too hard and was not convincing at all - which seemed odd. The neon lights, the signage and the fabrics in this film, however, worked very well and some of the styling is very watchable. If i am looking solely at these elements, it usually means the film content is not engaging enough for me. I did like .. " some people never go crazy - what truly horrible lives they must live"

6. Nicolas Pierce's rating of the film Barfly

For a hopeless drunk and reprobate, Chinaski sure has sex with a lot of beautiful women!

7. harnake36@gmail.com's rating of the film Barfly

8. Steve G.'s rating of the film Barfly

Enjoyed Mickey Rourke's impression of Al Sleet.

9. alimcintyre's rating of the film Barfly

Faye Dunaway made it for me. A great movie despite Rourke's extraordinary interpretation of the role.

10. ofNatalie LA's rating of the film Barfly

"I can't stand people. I hate them, don't you" is a good pickup line.

11. Muraki's rating of the film Barfly

a classic eightys american movie. the neon bars' signs, the wasted alcoholic people & the addiction to the same kind of life.

12. Ross's rating of the film Barfly

Give this film an extra star if you are already a Bukowski fan.

13. Zanna Walsh's rating of the film Barfly

I guess when you become that much of a drinker you don't puke up your guts or have the ax slamming down into your skull. Poetic licence and let's face it, seeing our two leads staggering about looking for the nurofen probably wouldn't have been as interesting. He spoke a good line did Mickey, but god, I'm having a bath now as I feel unclean.

14. Trickstian Shantih's rating of the film Barfly

Hank and the ordinary man sharing the same misunderstanding. How to live. While Hank seems to be blessed by the gift of days off and Bacchus, the normal man has only the path of Sisyphus and payslip.

15. SiIencio's rating of the film Barfly

Utter garbage that seems to spring from a distant echo of Bukowski's voice. To infer any honest connection between Bukowski's artistic thematic and this overacted plonk is reckless. Rourke & Dunaway should have first pickled themselves in scotch for 6 months before mildly resembling drunken goods and the operatic tone is so cringing that one should seek confession for forgiveness after watching this sin.

16. JCPJD's rating of the film Barfly

As someone who works in a bar, I wish the characters were as colourful, wise, tragic and beautiful as they are here. It's a grubby, sad little affair. That Henry is such a great writer hints at the narcissism of both the author and his characters. Still, American confidence; it can't be beat or reasoned with.

17. Riccardo Anacar's rating of the film Barfly

Seen this... first I have to say Faye Dunaway for me is/has been one of the most beautiful actress in hollywood really capable ... mickey rourke... you fucked this up, as Bukowski said ... you tried to hard... i like the movue

18. cinegeek.de's rating of the film Barfly

(...)Barfly entspringt aus der Welt der Trinker, in der ein Schritt nicht zwingend zum nächsten führt. Zwischen dem Kater danach und vor dem nächsten Suff kann alles passieren. Barbet Schroeder hat den Film gemacht nach einem (dem einzigen!) Original-Drehbuch Bukowskis.(...)

19. Francis Andrew Hudson's rating of the film Barfly

20. ΞRIC B∆D TASTΞ's rating of the film Barfly

Rourke & Dunaway are just brilliant here - weird & much fun, with some good dialogues & thoughts !

21. grotescsetorg's rating of the film Barfly

22. Pedro C. Alencastro's rating of the film Barfly

I'd give 5 stars if there weren't some really bad actors in this film

23. dino dancer's rating of the film Barfly

24. kubrickhallway's rating of the film Barfly

For fans, this is the endlessly re-watchable Bukowski film that Bukowski was around to co-sign - and the one that’s most full of his spirit. For those unaware, this is a great film about a writer who accepts his place in the world by posing his judgement of other people against his own ideals. Schroeder does well by the poet, bringing direction to the madness through (among other things) the continuous loop presented