1. Nicholas Gregory's rating of the film Batman Returns

Especially when compared to DC's The Dark Knight, let alone Marvel, this Burton film feels so much more natural in its comic book-affiliation. Batman Returns is more genuine in the balance of its outrageous action and genuine character drama, while its underlying meaning is actually traditionally extracted subtlety than announced for dummies. Also, all the sexual humor feels so alluringly un-PC, and is even daring.

2. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Batman Returns

Kinkier & weirder & generally more vivid than Burton's first 'Batman' movie, not least for the villains. Danny DeVito wouldn't be this rankly animalistic again until 'Always Sunny'! It's arguably an over irreverent sideshow of oddities, but I'm inclined to take that over Nolan's tiresome right-wing seriousness. Burton is always on side with the freaks even though that never becomes a political project.

3. A.B. II: The Return's rating of the film Batman Returns

As much I want admire Burton for taking the superhero genre in unexpected directions, this film is rather messy in the end. It gives the villains some interesting story arcs, but at the expense of shoving Batman too much into the background. It goes for a darker, mature tone, but breaks it constantly due to its campy moments. It's a unique cinematic experiment, but not a successful one.

4. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film Batman Returns

Tim Burton's definitive grotesque fantasy adventure about misfits done on a big budget where the villains have memorable moments all the time. It is an orgy in Gothic atmosphere and music. Batman is reduced into a supporting player in his own film that is a carnival of freaks.

5. Bob's rating of the film Batman Returns

It departures from previous film-noir and stays a lot closer to German expressionism. Although not on a pair with Anton Furst's vision, Gotham remains seductive architectural nightmare. When it comes to sex and violence, this is the darkest Batman film. But overall, the story is so nonsensical and silly, that it feels closer to Schumacher than to its predecessor. Danny DeVito and Michelle Pfeiffer shine as a villains

6. Aditya Watts's rating of the film Batman Returns

7. Jérémy Poirier's rating of the film Batman Returns

The bat, the cat and the penguin. I've just rediscovered how amazing Burton's Batman is. I saw it only once like 7 years ago and didn't taught much of it. Now that I have way more film knowledge, I can clearly see the expressionist influence of this film. It is one of the best Batman films but also the one with the least of him in it. More than a superhero film, this is a darkly comic story about freaks and outcasts.

8. Andre Flickatina's rating of the film Batman Returns

tragic irony or poetic justice - you tell me

9. Z's rating of the film Batman Returns

Gone are the days when a big budget event film conceived to sell merchandise would be helmed by a director as idiosyncratic as Tim Burton was at this time. Burton and scripter Daniel Waters twist the iconic hero and villains to their own perverse ends. Less a franchise place holder than an anguished cry of fury. A distinctly personal statement by an artist given a wide commercial canvas with which to express himself.

10. Mordfockas's rating of the film Batman Returns

11. hamsa's rating of the film Batman Returns

12. Star Lord's rating of the film Batman Returns

Anche questo non è per niente male, ma non eccezionale.

13. Ladyslobberin's rating of the film Batman Returns

14. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Batman Returns

(3.5) I re-watched Burton's Batman the other day and found it disappointing but watching this for the first time (24 years late) I was pretty impressed. It feels like Burton got to make a film more in his own style, darker and weirder than the first Batman, and DeVito and particularly Pfeiffer are great.

15. Addy K.'s rating of the film Batman Returns

Although lacking the raw, visceral power of the original, BATMAN RETURNS improves upon its predecessor's clunkier parts (dialog, plot, tone). Given free rein by the studio, Tim Burton pile-drives his artistic credo ('it's okay to be a freak') while leaning on the stunning production and costume design. Then there is Keaton's Batman and Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman. Their sadomasochism as unflinching modern romance.

16. James Mackin's rating of the film Batman Returns

I really hated this film as a kid, because it wasn't a film about Batman, but instead, a film about freaks. The older I get, the more I appreciate this film though. This isn't a Batman film. This is Tim Burton making a film about freaks.

17. Mark O. Stack's rating of the film Batman Returns

More stylish and inventive than any superhero material is likely to be in the next decade.

18. Ethan's rating of the film Batman Returns

Where the first film felt like a comic book, this one feels like a German Expressionist film disguised as a Batman movie with a feel that is a prelude to The Nightmare Before Christmas.

19. Barış Akpınar's rating of the film Batman Returns

20. ikkini's rating of the film Batman Returns

"Allo ? Tim ? On tourne un film là ? C'est pas toi qui réalise ? Non parce qu'il y a personne pour diriger là !"

21. sainte's rating of the film Batman Returns

Back when Tim Burton used to be great.

22. Dogukan4Ever's rating of the film Batman Returns