1. Auranee's rating of the film Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt

Warm, nostalgic, melancholy

2. David R Williams's rating of the film Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt

"Here, as in so many other documentaries about troubled musicians, the word genius is casually tossed around. But does every unstable, self-destructive artist defiantly living on the edge qualify for that description? In Van Zandt's case, maybe yes." - http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/02/movies/portrait-of-a-problem-child-with-a-songwriters-soul.html?_r=0

3. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt

Great doc on a songwriter whom I've only heard sporadically (mainly Pancho and Lefty) but has been talked about as a tragic figure. I compared it to Let's Get Lost, the Chet Baker film recently on Mubi. Both had addiction issues that could not be overcome; the main difference is that Van Zandt had a rock-solid family supporting him, while Baker hung with a wilder crowd. But even a good family couldn't save Townes.

4. Insider1's rating of the film Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt

Cool film about one of our great songwriters. Sad how his life ended.

5. Mark's rating of the film Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt

Oy vey. So many folks full of themselves.

6. dAlton Anthony's rating of the film Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt

You take what you can get, and anything by and about Townes Van Zandt is as good as gold in my book. If you don't know, now you know....and if you do know, there's nothing more to say.

7. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt

More involved into his personal life than his music, with some great rare footage.

8. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt

Apparently there's some musicians out there with self-destructive tendencies.

9. Joshua Paolino's rating of the film Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt

Honest and engaging doc; while his music normally isn't my cuppa, there's an almost sad poetic feel to Van Zandt's work that grips you. There are portions during this film that do the same visually; the shot where the old black man weeps is one, the other is at the end (no spoilers here) where Townes throws on a hat that, had it been shot in b&w, would look like a still from one of Dorothea Lange's Depression photos.

10. javelin tea's rating of the film Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt

A well-crafted and engaging doc that did not endear me to its subject much.

11. Vincent T's rating of the film Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt

an okay documentary about Townes. There are some good moments.

12. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt

Gibson J-45 with a sunburst--fills my heart with joy. Some of this same footage must be in Heartworn Highways (1976), a good doc about lots of inebriated and talented singer-songwriters from Townes' era.

13. Naitsabes's rating of the film Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt

"Stand among the ones that live in lonely indecision."

14. Rashed's rating of the film Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt

well sometimes / i don't know where / this dirty road is taking me / and sometimes i don't even know the reason why / well i guess i'll keep on gambling / lotta booze and lot of ramblin' / it's easier than just to wait around and die. a worthy tribute to who was probably america's finest songwriter.

15. Joshua Dysart's rating of the film Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt

Van Zandt's music has been in my life from as early as I can remember. As a child to young parents in south Texas in the 70's, the alt-/hippie-country scene was my soundtrack. The music van Zandt's heart made sculpted my idea of home forever. This film is fantastic. It feels as true as his songs.

16. pivic's rating of the film Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt

I'd not heard van Zandt before discovering this documentary. A lonely soul, in interview commenting on a statement that many of his songs are sad, saying "they're not all sad...some are hopeless", seemingly without irony. A slew of known musicians gather to comment on van Zandt's visions, his problems with alcohol and of how he has influenced people. I'll recommend it not only for music fans.