1. Maar's rating of the film Beach Rats

dunno why this shite got so many good reviews/recommendations but this movie doesn't have storyline worth than a 3min short movie.

2. Rocco's rating of the film Beach Rats

For those who found Call Me By Your Name's vision of youthful desire at full flower among the palazzos of rural Italy a touch whimsical, Hittman is here to remind us how being gay looks when you aren't affluent, well educated or liberal. Dickinson is a captivating (and beautiful) screen presence that elevates what's largely a tame, overly-familiar endeavor. A fully-realized, if modest, effort.

3. fashionlolito's rating of the film Beach Rats

Toxic masculinity portrayed in a glass closet

4. La quinta luna's rating of the film Beach Rats

5. Steve Pulaski's rating of the film Beach Rats

6. Pymo's rating of the film Beach Rats

7. virginwolf's rating of the film Beach Rats

I know this film is so much more but if it was just Harris walking around the beach looking for the T-shirt he lost (and is obviously not wearing it) I'd rate it 5 stars! Love the summer feel and how it looks on analog film, the raw masculinity and the ruin of it, and last the ending that just suggest that it all keeps going on, the same, without a big splash.

8. Gabriele Mariotti's rating of the film Beach Rats

A metro-sexual portrait form the "other side" of the shore. (no climax, no soundtrack, too biased)

9. Dan's rating of the film Beach Rats

Everything that's been written the film's exploration of toxic masculinity and its strong performances are accurate but can we discuss how Louvart made Hittman's sex scenes look as if they were Bill Henson photographs?

10. wi.bi's rating of the film Beach Rats

character like Frankie is definitely have a lot of story. I think Eliza Hittman know to not give everything about character like that. just focus with his confusing his sexuality.

11. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Beach Rats

Hittman y otra historia sobre la identidad sexual desde un contexto/situación desalentadora. Lo cierto es que "Beach Rats" tiene una trama más alentadora que su anterior película, a pesar de los convencionalismos propios del tópico sobre la homosexualidad: musculaturas, una estampa de Sebastiane, las drogas como escape. No habrá happy ending, pero sí un rastro de aprendizaje y reivindicación para su protagonista.

12. João Martins's rating of the film Beach Rats

The relevant theme of the coming-out by the character of Harris Dickinson recoil for an amount of moments that seem to reveal some indecision or confusion on the part of the director Eliza Hittman. It's still a good 35mm film, with artistically nice plans of body image and the erotic side of Frankie naive double life.

13. Bogdan Theodor Olteanu's rating of the film Beach Rats

14. Taufiq Hariyadi's rating of the film Beach Rats

15. oldeuboi's rating of the film Beach Rats

The usual suspect: toxic masculinity and closeted teenager with predictable fatalistic approach. Actually it's quite okay as character study. But it's also a little cold and the set-up isn't quite proper for make a better climax. Or simply different than the others.

16. Alex's rating of the film Beach Rats

17. astygianelysium's rating of the film Beach Rats

I have a lot of patience for this set of cliches, achingly choreographed and anchored by the lead's performance. It got me thinking about autonomy and heteronomy: how much is this boy responsible for his actions, under the stress of grief, repression, and malignant friendships? You want neither to absolve him, nor blame him. Written in his face is the impossibility of measuring the responsibility of another.

18. Des Horne's rating of the film Beach Rats

Where's that découpage? Tear down the Sundance labs!

19. José Neves's rating of the film Beach Rats

Digital. Queer Lisboa. It's clear that it's a film limited by its indecisions, whose best example is the end - everything is going around without evolving. Yet, the original 16mm gives it a granularity that goes well with the bodies and the spaces and, in that sense , brings to memory one of the films that in recent cinema better knew how to contextualize bodies and spaces by a camera's look: Ira Sach's "The Delta".

20. Mtume Gant's rating of the film Beach Rats

I loved her first film. Thought this film in certain aspects were beyond her scope. Everything external about the area represented felt spot on but the internal life of closeted Gay life to me didn't go past a 1st level Heterosexual gaze entry.

21. A.B. II: The Return's rating of the film Beach Rats

In regards to Eliza Hittman, I feel this succeeds in many areas that "It Felt Like Love" fell flat. While it still has some the focus and plot issues of her earlier work, it's nonetheless a deeper and more thoughtful work with a more thoroughly-examined protagonist. Her non-judgmental approach is also better suited here, making the audience ponder issues of self-identity and our need for social acceptance.

22. Michael Peer's rating of the film Beach Rats

Besides shooting on 16mm, I can't say I love anything about this film. Hittman seems content to let the subject matter do most the speaking for her rather than adding anything cinematically. It's a cold, shallow movie that checks off a bunch of boxes in today's progressive ideology (a female director, queer subject matter, toxic masculinity, victim) so I guess it gets a pass. There's nothing here you haven't seen.