1. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Beautiful Darling: The Life and Times of Candy Darling

(4.5 stars) I really had ZERO idea of Candy Darling's existence before this film. So this film was a COMPLETE and WONDERFUL surprise. It's UTTERLY FASCINATING. The filmmakers are careful to let the people in Candy's life tell the story and edit it all together quite perfectly. An absolutely intriguing story that is told with bold clarity and a loving touch that is apparent throughout every frame of the picture.

2. David R Williams's rating of the film Beautiful Darling: The Life and Times of Candy Darling

Such a sad, lonely person. What a wonderful meditation on her memory.

3. davidscottlewis's rating of the film Beautiful Darling: The Life and Times of Candy Darling

Candy's quote at the very end of the movie was my favorite part. To paraphrase in an Aristotelian way, to live a good life, be true to yourself.

4. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film Beautiful Darling: The Life and Times of Candy Darling

I'm so happy that there was a gorgeous movie star named Candy Darling who wrote a diary which was partially recorded (voice by Chloë Sevigny) in this James Rasin doc. The film felt intimate, personal, with a monumentally sad denouement. For a fan, and who wouldn't be a fan?--it rewinds a time, place and artistic gender spirit of the fabulous.

5. Nacnud Schmalz's rating of the film Beautiful Darling: The Life and Times of Candy Darling

A great doc. Very warm, beautifully made. "And the colored girls say..."

6. Aaron Blandina's rating of the film Beautiful Darling: The Life and Times of Candy Darling

An enjoyable film about an otherwise, to me, unknown character. Such a rich story that probably inspired an entire movement, with highly compelling interviews.

7. Susannah Magers's rating of the film Beautiful Darling: The Life and Times of Candy Darling

A portrait of a pioneer who likely would have had an illustrious career, taken too soon. Not a Warhol fan (his aloofness towards his privilege is frustrating, i.e. "oops, I just stumbled into getting a Whitney exhibition") but I do love how he defers to Candy to answer for him. Friend Jeremiah Newman lovingly preserves Candy's legacy, saving her diaries etc. from her mother who wanted to hide Candy's existence.

8. Adam M's rating of the film Beautiful Darling: The Life and Times of Candy Darling

What a woman. Some of the archival footage in this is pure gold.

9. Myles's rating of the film Beautiful Darling: The Life and Times of Candy Darling

A melancholic account of a pretty pathetic attention whore. There's bravery in what she did back in the sixties, but she was really nothing more than a naive muse. One more face in the portrait gallery of young, queer New Yorkers trying to seem interesting.

10. Em Kim's rating of the film Beautiful Darling: The Life and Times of Candy Darling

Tragic and glamorous. Candy's life was full of dichotomies concerning both her private life and public image. Her personality was well crafted but also absent as she struggled with individuality and acceptance. She's portrayed beautifully in this film: a bright flame that burned out too fast.

11. MarAnhelo's rating of the film Beautiful Darling: The Life and Times of Candy Darling

I find this film to be transphobic. I was hoping for storytelling instead of gossip-telling. There's great footage but, in my opinion, the way Candy Darling, Holly Woodland, Jackie Curtis, and the other transwomen’s experiences were framed, leaves way too much to be desired for a film in the 21st century.

12. Chunkino's rating of the film Beautiful Darling: The Life and Times of Candy Darling

Good documentary but ended quite abruptly just like Candy did...

13. kaj's rating of the film Beautiful Darling: The Life and Times of Candy Darling

borderline transphobic?

14. suu-mei's rating of the film Beautiful Darling: The Life and Times of Candy Darling

this breaks my heart it is one of the most beautiful and important movies to me mainly bc it collects fragments of gorgeous candy darling <3

15. mpho3's rating of the film Beautiful Darling: The Life and Times of Candy Darling

"I will not cease to be myself for foolish people. For foolish people make harsh judgements on me. You must always be yourself no matter what the price. It is the highest form of morality." - Candy. 3.5 stars

16. valerie b's rating of the film Beautiful Darling: The Life and Times of Candy Darling

god SHUT UP fran lebowitz. but aside from that love you candy darling you're an inspiration to me forever <3

17. mjgildea's rating of the film Beautiful Darling: The Life and Times of Candy Darling

The archive footage was cool & the subject matter was interesting. I wasn't too familiar with Candy Darling so I assume I got more out of this documentary than an actual fan would. Skates the line between tragic & well, fabulous, falling into both sides often. Some of the interview subjects & their sometimes conflicting stories cracked me up. This didn't exactly inspire to check out Darling's work but I enjoyed it.

18. ΞRIC B∆D TASTΞ's rating of the film Beautiful Darling: The Life and Times of Candy Darling

>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFbYL7BE0GY

19. msmichel's rating of the film Beautiful Darling: The Life and Times of Candy Darling

Candy Darling was someone truly special. She was more than a drag queen, but a true vision of femdom the definition of a woman trapped in the wrong body. This documentary doesn't really cover any new ground but is full of long unseen footage and the memories of those who knew her even if those memories contradict themselves. A film that joins the long list of "factory warhol" documentaries.

20. ‏ㅤ's rating of the film Beautiful Darling: The Life and Times of Candy Darling

21. enigmacuture's rating of the film Beautiful Darling: The Life and Times of Candy Darling

a great documentary. ı love James Rasin!