1. Dada Kubin's rating of the film Beauty and the Beast

Fairy tales are often surreal in many ways, and almost any filming of a fairy tale tends to be surreal, and Cocteau’s film is no exception. But it is exceptionally poetic and somehow glamorous, very elegant and aesthetic experience. While watching this I was enthusiastic like a child hearing the story for the first time, albeit in my case I was mesmerised by all those visual elements so impressive and beautiful.

2. Masoud Einabadi's rating of the film Beauty and the Beast

3. bryanvmh's rating of the film Beauty and the Beast

Beauty, and other such diabolical devices, are not as appealing as gazing into the sadness of the abject other

4. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Beauty and the Beast

7.9/10, my review: https://wp.me/p1eXom-3o6 "Granted, Cocteau sprays some of his own magic potion onto the story’s child-friendly prospect, and its ending comes off as both expected and unexpected."

5. ginobartolomi's rating of the film Beauty and the Beast

the 'special effects' are mind blowingly simple, yet they rival any contemporary attempts and beat them out by miles and miles

6. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film Beauty and the Beast

A great timeless fairy tale that is so good that Disney pretty much reused everything. The Beast here is magnificent realized and Jean Cocteau add some great surrealistic imagery and poetry in it.

7. dionysus67's rating of the film Beauty and the Beast

An exceedingly dazzling accomplishment which takes the beauty and the beast myth into unprecedented heoghts of aesthetic perfection. Cocteau follows the redoublings of the beauty/beast dialectic that, its countless psychoanalytic significations aside, gives rise to some indelible imagery of bestiality's needy dimension (as in the stunning scene in the pond) amalgamating it to a human index of moral/immoral dualities.

8. V.S. Luoma-aho's rating of the film Beauty and the Beast

The stuff outside the Beast's castle (the sisters & brothers) is kind of lackluster and theatrical today, but inside the castle everything is great. Is that the point? Kind of, but for reasons not intended by Cocteau, I'm sure.

9. Beau Folsom's rating of the film Beauty and the Beast

Maybe the greatest of all cinematic fairy tales. The opening scroll, which encourages the audience to have a childlike sense of wonder while watching, is beautiful and one of my favorite things Cocteau decided to include in this film, but it's almost unnecessary - only because the film is so engaging and awe-inspiring anyway.

10. En Sangers Bøn's rating of the film Beauty and the Beast

much things have been said here...I won't add anything, finally the power of magic triumphs at the very end, moral of the story. A demonstration of poetical dreaminess in cinema, the film slightly aged compared to a few others in the genre but still an important work of art, espeically for the period it was directed.

11. Alex Flores's rating of the film Beauty and the Beast

12. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film Beauty and the Beast

The Beauty and the Beast from a French surrealist perspective. Dreamlike and poetic.

13. Jackson Staninger's rating of the film Beauty and the Beast

The definitive version of this classic tale. The term "Movie Magic" brings on a whole new meaning with this movie.

14. Peter Tran's rating of the film Beauty and the Beast

15. Lex Lucas's rating of the film Beauty and the Beast

The creation of such a fairy world is marvelous.

16. EdieEmm's rating of the film Beauty and the Beast

Cocteau builds up these worlds in the threshold... the indefinite spaces between life & death (Orpheus); the liminal spaces where disbelief is suspended; the enchanted, magical spaces, reachable only by flights of fancy... Rare & ephemeral & delicate worlds that make us hold our breath, to not disturb them. That's our contribution: Wide eyes & light heads! A fair trade for that sort of wonder... A true delight. 3.75

17. Loud Rocks's rating of the film Beauty and the Beast

18. cyrildruesne's rating of the film Beauty and the Beast

C'est quand même autre chose que Disney…

19. Emil Kurjak's rating of the film Beauty and the Beast

ad essere moooooolto generosi

20. Ethan's rating of the film Beauty and the Beast

This film is nothing short of magical. Cocteau was a true poet of the cinema and with the great team he put together to make this film it is a true wonder to behold with dazzling special effects and great spirit.

21. ermete polpette's rating of the film Beauty and the Beast

22. Nolan Barth's rating of the film Beauty and the Beast

I love Beauty and the Beast (1991) and having never seen this version I was curious to see how it compared to the animated classic! I loved the gothic imagery and design of the castle. This is a beautiful looking film and I was really impressed by the cinematography. I also love the look and design of the Beast! However for some reason I just couldn't get into this movie. Maybe I need to give this film another chance

23. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Beauty and the Beast

Shout out to Dr. Sidle, my 7th grade social studies and world cinema teacher who first exposed me to French cinema. It had very little affect on me at the time, but I was surprised by how much of it I remembered. When people call movies magic, this is what they mean.

24. LauraPalmer's rating of the film Beauty and the Beast