1. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film Bedlam

3.5 stars. Absorbing. Val Lewton had his finger on the pulse, as they say. I think this film is almost perfect of it's kind and Karloff is wonderful. I even like Anna Lee, whom I usually find bland.

2. Aardsy's rating of the film Bedlam

One of the better movies suggested by a painting.

3. SpacePirate's rating of the film Bedlam

Great B movie and another solid film in Lewton's canon. Deals with subject Hollywood rarely touched upon. The Snake Pit is the only other film to deal with mental illness from the period that I can think of. That film is a top notch production and an undeniable classic. This one is a minor classic, given the shoestring budget, but the great actors like Karloff elevate it considerably. It ain't Cat People, but good.

4. film_lies101's rating of the film Bedlam

Period pieces often bore me but I was enthralled by the film, kudos to Karloff and Anna Lee''s performances

5. Silenzio's rating of the film Bedlam

A jewel, one of the many highlights in Karloffs career

6. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Bedlam

The near perfect B movie : a theme that major studios won't handle for fear of indisposing the saturday night common audience, a cult movie star like Boris Karloff who will not disappoint his fans no matter what he plays in, numerous interesting supporting roles. Highly recommended.

7. Christopher R. Smith's rating of the film Bedlam

A handsome B-movie production from producer Val Lewton, stylishly made by director Mark Robson and cinematographer Nicholas Musuraca, is not so much a horror film as an effective gothic period drama. Boris Karloff is at his oily best, and Anna Lee plays a strong counterpoint. Maybe not quite among Lewton's masterpieces, but it has a compelling moral complexity that sets it above the usual Hollywood costume drama.