1. Kk Soft Boss's rating of the film Before Night Falls

5/5 Read the book. The memoir of revolutionary queer Cuban writer Reinaldo Arenas. It is phenomenal. Arenas, alongside fellow queer artist and writer David Wojnarawicz, are 2 of my favorite authors of all time. This is a brilliant and beautiful film. When you read his memoir this film becomes all the more powerful. This is also an integral film to watch for any queer cinephile.

2. Michael Zyx MH Claes's rating of the film Before Night Falls

3. Marina C.'s rating of the film Before Night Falls

Became one of my absolute favourites, for Bardem's sensitivity and talent portraying this wonderful artist, and for its incredible direction. Overall, it was a priviledge and an inspiration to have seen this film.

4. Bernardo Anderson's rating of the film Before Night Falls

Great performance by Javier Bardem and a wonderfully unique film and story.

5. Dada Kubin's rating of the film Before Night Falls

The superb performance from Javier Bardem carries the whole film right until the end. But it's not just Bardem but also the director Schnabel who does a great job. Schnabel has his own kind of visual storytelling method which is artistic but serves the story at the same time. The only downside of this movie is that it is spoken in (broken) English for reasons I don't understand.

6. alcools's rating of the film Before Night Falls

7. llamil's rating of the film Before Night Falls

8. kokeshi's rating of the film Before Night Falls

"La mia fu un'infanzia di singolare splendore, per l'assoluta povertà e l'assoluta libertà."

9. Mtume Gant's rating of the film Before Night Falls

I don't like Schnabel's films. There is a conservative agenda to much of his work that bothers me to the core. And this film was a manipulation of someone who was truly an interesting figure that he manipulates for his own devices.

10. Beril's rating of the film Before Night Falls

"O, güç fark edilen ama sürekli ritme şükürler olsun... Aralıksız "tap-tap" diye ses çıkaran, o müzik..."

11. GiantCockEater's rating of the film Before Night Falls

I watched this for the 3rd time in my life the other day. I have a lot of problems with this film, especially towards the end, but damn if I don't love it for nostalgic reasons. I LOVE the opening of the film, I love Javier Bardem's acting and voice- and I love the music in this film. Carter Burwell's score is one of my favorite of all time, plus the Cuban music makes it unforgettable. A lot of passion here at least.

12. Hector Camero's rating of the film Before Night Falls

I wonder if there could be a link between both films other than being about gay writers. Mishima is highly stylized, a sort of triptic between music, novels and his life. The other film seems to be more straightforward. I loved how much they did with 16mm, but with great acting, a music that fits when needed, but also agree: it should have been shorter,& it could have dismissed the criticism to socialism.

13. Algitya's rating of the film Before Night Falls

There's a thing that 'ngganjel' in my head...

14. mooniac's rating of the film Before Night Falls

I think Castro was more into idealistic notion; his struggles was more than dealing with homophiles. Actually I don't think he is homophobic at all. This movie is just looking after no:1 here, taking credits for capitalism. Sick and tired of their stupid propagandas. I wonder why most artists are indifferent to politics and history?

15. Felix Piñeiro's rating of the film Before Night Falls

Poetic and epic in every sense.

16. Mayukh Sen's rating of the film Before Night Falls

i really, really wanted to love this but after the near-perfect first hour i just felt so distanced from reinaldo's character...so much really IS left unexplained, and though i usually don't have a problem with that the film feels so slaphappily mashed together (with very lyrical imagery, of course) that it's hard to really be invested in this man's story by the time the film is over. beautiful, but flawed indeed

17. Nutter Jr's rating of the film Before Night Falls

Yet another masterful performance by Bardem in an emotionally penetrating film about the famous Cuban poet and novelist, Reinaldo Arenas .

18. REH1101's rating of the film Before Night Falls

Great film. Schnabel does a terrific job working within the realm of stylistic realism in biopics, and Bardem's performance was magnificent. There was about 15 minutes of footage used that was totally unnecessary and dragged out (in my opinion), and it keeps me from rating this a perfect 5 stars. Otherwise I really loved it, and in all honesty enjoyed it considerably more than Paul Schrader's Mishima.

19. L.A.™'s rating of the film Before Night Falls

Javier Bardems brilliant performance makes us feel Reynaldo's pain so intensely that you are worn out by the end of the film. Schnabel's unique eye shows us just how horrible life can be and the beauty that somehow survives the torture that men bring upon others.