1. Stéphane's rating of the film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

I'm of the post-Lumet generation so my appreciation for his work is limited. PSH and Ethan Hawke are fantastic nonetheless.

2. juan. Audivert's rating of the film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

3. Marcelo's rating of the film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Bella pelicula, con un tiempo justo, con saltos de tiempo refinados. Verlo a Seymour Hoffman con tanto despliegue es un placer

4. Alejandro Villa's rating of the film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

impeccable movie. but it is inadmissible the prejudicial act of considering that South Americans are drug traffickers. "- Yeah, I guess he'll just go to some other dealers and suppliers. and that's all we need, is 10 South Americans chasing us..." OMG!

5. FRIEDRICH VON PÉREZ's rating of the film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

SL really knows how to tell us another sordid story about the US. He thrives to be modern in this one. Whatever happened to Baby Hank?

6. Marco B.'s rating of the film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

7. Gallus's rating of the film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

8. Peyton's rating of the film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

while i do love the gradual escalation of the stakes here, they were way too low at the outset, and that threw off the momentum for me. i'm supposed to believe a guy who's a little behind on child support would resort to robbing his parents' jewelry store? also, oh my god, did the women have nothing to do. ethan hawke and phil sey horfman did absolutely bring it though.

9. bryanvmh's rating of the film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

The last shot left me with a bad taste in my mouth, and I feel like Albert Finney's father isn't explored enough, but PSH and Ethan Hawke give really good performances.

10. EdieMaas's rating of the film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Style and structure scream 'American (white, male) auteur', but are used artfully, land well, aren't smug or trite. And, despite Marisa Tomei's character being among the flattest in screen history, and sometimes driven purely by the force that was PSH, the film becomes by the end a profoundly sensitive, deeply nuanced expression of (the?) human tragedy, on all its interacting and mostly unacknowledged levels.

11. sahandmohajer's rating of the film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

I was uninvolved throughout this film except it was heartbreaking to see Hoffman take heroine and hazily admit that the parts of his life don’t sum up. Otherwise this is my first Lumet film and I didn’t see anything special. The structure and editing really stagnates the story.

12. Brenda Billy's rating of the film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

"May you be in heaven a full half-hour before the devil knows you're dead."

13. Curtis Steele's rating of the film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Superb film! As I contemplate writing this review, there is such quality to every aspect that to emphasize any one would be a disservice to the others. So I’ll say it again: A supreme film!

14. Jeff Gay's rating of the film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Feels like Sidney Lumet gives his actors a lot of freedom, and he certainly hired some good ones for this. Bits of the story ping-pong off each other, out of sequence, as scenes dissolve with digital fast dolly zooms. All this adds nothing to a simple story of betrayal between family members that ends in a blood bath, but it is consistently engaging, and a great vehicle for the talents of Phillip Seymour Hoffman

15. James Mackin's rating of the film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

This is a film to get your heart racing.

16. michael jacques's rating of the film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

The labyrinthic narration is as messy as the story itself. All in a good way. You really feel like an unpowered witness in the middle of all these complex characters, you can never identify yourselves to a protagonist because there's no leading character. All of this amplifies the tension all along in a genuine way. The numerous throwback can indeed be a little too repetitive and slow down the suspense.

17. Jonathan's rating of the film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

18. Mari's rating of the film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Trilha sonora genial! Uma única música e é o suficiente para criar a atmosfera tensa ao longo da trama. Recurso fantástico e inovador: o efeito de transição de zoom com intercalação de frames para introduzir no tempo diegético presente memória das personagens. O filme também foge dos clichês, atrelando elementos de tragédia e comédia em uma sequência de catástrofes que assolam o seio daquela família.

19. mmassias's rating of the film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

20. Rafael's rating of the film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

21. Reynaldo Goulart's rating of the film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

22. Matheus Redfield's rating of the film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Incrível como o filme da um "BOOM" do nada, você não espera aquilo e fica o filme todo angustiado e com raiva. O filme é muito bom, ótima surpresa!!

23. Jason's rating of the film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

My short list of Best Last Films of Great Directors probably gets to BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD very quickly, after we account for L'ARGENT, NO HOME MOVIE, and THE SACRIFICE. In this august company, Lumet's final film stands alone (and stands out) as an American film distributed quite widely. What's the film up to? Violence can be brutal, to be sure, but nothing is as brutal as the truth at its perfect worst.

24. Sonia Marybel's rating of the film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Tenso , violento pero muy bueno .

← Previous 1 3 4 5