1. Superfrog's rating of the film Behind the Candelabra

The story of dependence, wealth and demise is not that interesting. The acting is mostly good. But the complex and pretty perverse relationships ( the sex is the cleanest bit of them all) keeps the film interesting.

2. Ramzi's rating of the film Behind the Candelabra

I'd like to say something to Michael Douglas: I sang with Liberace. I knew Liberace. Liberace was a friend of mine. Michael Douglas, you're no Liberace.

3. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Behind the Candelabra

In some ways this is a fairly standard kind of biopic from Steven Soderbergh, but it is elevated by the fact that a) it's about Liberace and b) it has a fantastic lead performance from Michael Douglas, and very good turns from Matt Damon, Rob Lowe, and others. Odd, entertaining, and surprisingly touching on a couple of occasions.

4. Adam Laurence Pitt's rating of the film Behind the Candelabra

5. Al Green's rating of the film Behind the Candelabra

Given that the public image of Liberace was a kind of joke as far as I'm concerned. This film was surprising, mainly because it's more a love story than a biopic. I found Matt Damon's character really touching and his performance brilliant as always. As for Rob Lowe, he is truly the most hideous character I've seen in film for a long time. Amazing, given how classically 'handsome' he is !

6. Ayesha Casely-Hayford's rating of the film Behind the Candelabra

An excellent and really fun watch. Very clear it is based on Scott Thorson's book. We feel Scott's frustration especially by clever repeated scenes mirroring Billy Leatherwood, representing past lovers. But no insight into Liberace's rationale (except obvious assumptions we can make) of why Scott was most favoured. I'd love to see this through the eyes of Liberace's black maid, then we'll be behind the candelabra!

7. theminiwitch's rating of the film Behind the Candelabra

Terrific performances, fabulous costumes, an eventful tragi-comic life...

8. Lights in the Dusk's rating of the film Behind the Candelabra

Impeccable craftsmanship combined with standout performances from the leads. As much as I love Soderbergh's observational aesthetic, he's perhaps too dry, too distant for this type of material. You wonder what a filmmaker more prone to melodrama might've made of this. While it does well to show the seamier side of celebrity & the machinations of an abusive relationship, it needed the punch of someone like Fassbinder.

9. S.J.B.'s rating of the film Behind the Candelabra

The definition of substance-less blah. I want to give Douglas props, but it was just a hair too obvious that he was /really/ affecting. Soderbergh needs to retire.

10. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Behind the Candelabra

Two famous actors play 'Truth or Dare'. He grabbed him in the biscuits!

11. Thomas Dods's rating of the film Behind the Candelabra

Felt a little pedestrian when I was watching it but it has weirdly stayed with me since. Great performances all round. Rob Lowe's performance is one of the most grotesque and funny in recent years.

12. allexandra's rating of the film Behind the Candelabra

13. Elle Johnston's rating of the film Behind the Candelabra

For some time this was a double bill with the Great Gatsby and was quite possible the longest 2 weeks of work I ever had.

14. James Mackin's rating of the film Behind the Candelabra

Both Matt Damon and Michael Douglas are a lot of fun. This is kind of like Soderbergh doing Boogie Nights, and I'm all about that.

15. Daniel Roque's rating of the film Behind the Candelabra

Damon and Douglas totally nailed it at their performances, though I felt a lack of chemistry between both. Rob Lowe gave his best acting since... forever. Liberace's life feels like an entertaining rollercoaster, but some truly dramatic moments would have been nice.

16. kopfkompass's rating of the film Behind the Candelabra

Ganz eindeutig: früher war mehr Lametta. Bisschen viel Lametta sogar

17. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Behind the Candelabra

Committed performances all around.

18. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Behind the Candelabra

19. Kelvane's rating of the film Behind the Candelabra

An amazing, transcendent artist.

20. Easton Dubois's rating of the film Behind the Candelabra

21. Nick Benson's rating of the film Behind the Candelabra

Really frustrating characters, never really bought Scott's image of Liberace at the end. But it was sold well, as Soderbergh always does with each side of his characters. Completely unbiased and sympathetic direction, and the fantastic performances of course help.

22. Mostafa Javadi's rating of the film Behind the Candelabra

it's good to see an engagement is emerging between TV (ever suspected neighbor) and indie-type minds, towards inevitably new and more comprehensive expression opportunities.

23. Sophy Romvari's rating of the film Behind the Candelabra

24. Federico Di Folco's rating of the film Behind the Candelabra

Grandiosa messa in scena,costumi ed interni bellissimi,con Douglas e Damon davvero bravi.Ma il tutto"corre"troppo,rimane sempre superficiale e non riesce mai ad andare in profondità perchè tentenna sia sul lato pubblico che sul lato privato del personaggio.La storia intriga,ma poi dà risposte non soddisfacenti. Una buona pellicola,che forse in mano ad un altro poteva essere molto meglio.3*