1. Eliza Lupu's rating of the film Belle de jour

"-I don't get it. You seem to like being with me. -Very much, but it's not enough. "

2. Claire (bookscoffeeandrepeat)'s rating of the film Belle de jour

Well, this film definitely kept my attention. It's an interesting take on fetishes, sexual perversions, and obsession. And because this is a surreal film (not fantasy), I still don't understand what that ending was about.

3. Martin Wilson's rating of the film Belle de jour

Once upon a time, there was a young lady named Severine. She had a dream that she was married to mild Dr. Jekyll. But she wanted to meet wild Mr. Hyde. The one with the funny teeth, from 1931. So she dreamed she was in that film, and was, you know, the fancy lady. And she did meet wild Mr. Hyde. But Mr. Hyde was jealous and, well, when he got shot, she woke up. And Severine and the Doctor lived happily ever after.

4. Henri de Corinth's rating of the film Belle de jour

Rewatch of a 4K restoration (co-financed by Saint Laurent!) in cinemas for its 50th anniversary. BdJ marks the apex of bourgeois anxiety if we view Buñuel, Dalì, et al and the 'surrealist' tradition for what they were: rich kids slumming it for a while.

5. Andra Nicoleanu's rating of the film Belle de jour

I'd kill for that Yves Saint Laurent wardrobe.

6. amariliz's rating of the film Belle de jour

3.5. and "fantasy" as a genre label doesn't fit at all...

7. ginobartolomi's rating of the film Belle de jour

Buñuel, the original rule breaker. This is risqué even by today's standards- I only wish I could experience the shear pleasure in the taboo of seeing this upon its release, 50 years ago! And how ahead of his time Buñuel was to turn a mirror on his viewers' most inner desires and fantasies, our inability to marry them with realities and societal norms. The shame and guilt of it itself being the root of the issue.

8. ceknklsn's rating of the film Belle de jour

9. Madeleine Davis's rating of the film Belle de jour

Deneuve Deneuve bondage hijinks Deneuve

10. callum mclaughlin's rating of the film Belle de jour

Buñuel's surreal touch to ‘Belle De Jour’ enhances Joseph Kessel’s original novel; the film offers a fresh perspective to Séverine, the comedy that ensues from this works wonderfully, in an adaptation that is done right. Not overly explicit, the film is rather tame compared to today’s standards but what is implied is far more effective. Deneuve stole my heart from start to finish; 'Belle De Jour' is a treat to watch.

11. Luca Angelini's rating of the film Belle de jour

12. cineholic's rating of the film Belle de jour

8/10. Bunuel's kinky dreamscape depicts the conflict that results from the impossible duality society expects of women: to be both the saintly chaste girl and the seductive temptress. Catherine Deneuve is both captivating and distant. The opening dream sequence is shocking and sets the tone for what's to come. I wish the dangerous young gangster character had shown up earlier -- he adds an engaging dramatic urgency

13. sabrina's rating of the film Belle de jour

This was a unsuspecting movie, and I appreciated how it played with prevailing hetero-patriarchal sexual norms (esp. profound for its time imo) OMG I just realized it is a Bunuel film, which is weird because of his reputation as somewhat misogynistic. Maybe he was just really into bdsm and it reflected in his movies in an unsympathetic time period.

14. Boyuan123's rating of the film Belle de jour

OMFG THIS FILM IS FREAKING SOOOOOO GOOD!

15. Arf's rating of the film Belle de jour

16. Johnny Seeker's rating of the film Belle de jour

"Semen retentum venenum est"

17. sahandmohajer's rating of the film Belle de jour

There is so much depth and yet the viewer is not plunged into it but simply made aware of its harrowing presence beneath. This is a modest film, made by someone who viewed films as no more than a keyhole into worlds of sorts.

18. postblueink's rating of the film Belle de jour

7/10 (12. 06. 2017). classic Bunuel.

19. lazycalm's rating of the film Belle de jour

You just can't really tell what's on people's mind, especially their fetishes (I bet people around me will be startled too if they know what I have in mind, but well...).

20. Natasha Angashanova's rating of the film Belle de jour

21. FISCHER's rating of the film Belle de jour

Une singulière étude au scalpel des moeurs dissolues d'une certaine bourgeoisie de classe et de claque qui végète et se vautre, de génération en génération, dans l'argent facile, le refoulé maladif et l'hypocrisie débordante. On peut préférer le fantastique d'un autre film de Bunuel "L'ange exterminateur" dans la même grinçante optique de dénonciation cinglante et nécessaire. www.cinefiches.com

22. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Belle de jour

My dad saw this film and I asked him about it. He said, "Not that great". I asked him if Deneuve was naked. He said "Not really". Later, when I actually saw the movie I understood what he was saying. It's just a film about male fantasies, which is fine, but certainly nothing new. Bunuel was just being lazy. Deneuve was way better in 'Repulsion', which deals with some of the same themes.

23. alchimia's rating of the film Belle de jour

men sure are awful, but women are a mess.

24. William R Clark's rating of the film Belle de jour

So effete and so raunchy at the same time.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7