1. callum mclaughlin's rating of the film Belle de jour

Buñuel's surreal touch to ‘Belle De Jour’ enhances Joseph Kessel’s original novel; the film offers a fresh perspective to Séverine, the comedy that ensues from this works wonderfully, in an adaptation that is done right. Not overly explicit, the film is rather tame compared to today’s standards but what is implied is far more effective. Deneuve stole my heart from start to finish; 'Belle De Jour' is a treat to watch.

2. Luca Angelini's rating of the film Belle de jour

3. G. Thomas Esmay's rating of the film Belle de jour

7.5/10. Bunuel's kinky dreamscape depicts the conflict that results from the impossible duality society expects of women: to be both the saintly chaste girl and the seductive temptress. Catherine Deneuve is both captivating and distant. The opening dream sequence is shocking and sets the tone for what's to come. I wish the dangerous young gangster character had shown up earlier -- he adds an engaging dramatic urgency

4. sabrina's rating of the film Belle de jour

This was a unsuspecting movie, and I appreciated how it played with prevailing hetero-patriarchal sexual norms (esp. profound for its time imo) OMG I just realized it is a Bunuel film, which is weird because of his reputation as somewhat misogynistic. Maybe he was just really into bdsm and it reflected in his movies in an unsympathetic time period.

5. Boyuan123's rating of the film Belle de jour

OMFG THIS FILM IS FREAKING SOOOOOO GOOD!

6. Arf's rating of the film Belle de jour

7. Johnny Seeker's rating of the film Belle de jour

"Semen retentum venenum est"

8. sahandmohajer's rating of the film Belle de jour

There is so much depth and yet the viewer is not plunged into it but simply made aware of its harrowing presence beneath. This is a modest film, made by someone who viewed films as no more than a keyhole into worlds of sorts.

9. postblueink's rating of the film Belle de jour

7/10 (12. 06. 2017). classic Bunuel.

10. lazycalm's rating of the film Belle de jour

You just can't really tell what's on people's mind, especially their fetishes (I bet people around me will be startled too if they know what I have in mind, but well...).

11. Natasha Angashanova's rating of the film Belle de jour

12. FISCHER's rating of the film Belle de jour

Une singulière étude au scalpel des moeurs dissolues d'une certaine bourgeoisie de classe et de claque qui végète et se vautre, de génération en génération, dans l'argent facile, le refoulé maladif et l'hypocrisie débordante. On peut préférer le fantastique d'un autre film de Bunuel "L'ange exterminateur" dans la même grinçante optique de dénonciation cinglante et nécessaire. www.cinefiches.com

13. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Belle de jour

My dad saw this film and I asked him about it. He said, "Not that great". I asked him if Deneuve was naked. He said "Not really". Later, when I actually saw the movie I understood what he was saying. It's just a film about male fantasies, which is fine, but certainly nothing new. Bunuel was just being lazy. Deneuve was way better in 'Repulsion', which deals with some of the same themes.

14. alchimia's rating of the film Belle de jour

men sure are awful, but women are a mess.

15. Scienceofphantoms's rating of the film Belle de jour

So effete and so raunchy at the same time.

16. anacecil's rating of the film Belle de jour

Maravillosa !!! Muy buena actuación y muy interesante tema, que muestra el pequeño hilo que puede exisitir en una mujer conservadora y el deseo de uan doble vida de prostitua

17. Mert Kaya's rating of the film Belle de jour

this one was filmed perfectly but story doesn't hold its perfection up enough - 4.5

18. ermete polpette's rating of the film Belle de jour

19. choupinet's rating of the film Belle de jour

Intriguing and captivating.

20. Nolan Barth's rating of the film Belle de jour

This was my first exposure to Bunuel and it's safe to say that I was blown away! I loved how flexible reality seemed to be with Deneuve's character slipping in and out of bizarre dream sequences. This is a complex character study and Deneuve gives a tremendous performance in the lead role. I can't wait to check out some of Bunuel's other films!

21. s.birowo's rating of the film Belle de jour

Catherine Deneuve's masochistic diversion

22. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Belle de jour

23. Mighty Quinn's rating of the film Belle de jour

My review: https://letterboxd.com/dynamitefilms/film/belle-de-jour/

24. miles's rating of the film Belle de jour

catherine and luis doing the day shift.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7