1. pintobean's rating of the film Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

Watched with a new electronic score that adds a lot to the personality of the city depicted. Berlin feels alive.

2. Louis Léonard's rating of the film Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

3. Jérémy Poirier's rating of the film Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

A day in Berlin in 1926. No matter how heartfelt and optimistic some parts of the film are, with the knowledge of history, I can't stop seeing this film as a moment of calm before the storm. A last moment of happy living (it ain't paradise though). I love that this film doesn't require spoken or written language to communicate. Yes, I know it is a 1927 mute documentary but you can visually see the heart of the city.

4. FISCHER's rating of the film Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

De l'aube jusqu'à la nuit, le permanent fourmillement d'une grande ville, en l'occurrence la capitale allemande, filmé d'une façon magistrale et poétique, dans une œuvre époustouflante qui reste un monument incontournable du 7e art ..... www.cinefiches.com

5. ermete polpette's rating of the film Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

6. Nachtreich's rating of the film Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

7. Jennifer Weeks's rating of the film Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

A cool idea but there were only one or two scenes that truly felt like the city was a symphony of movement. The rest just looked like B roll from an old news network, or an episode of "How It's Made" with a weird soundtrack.

8. Beatriz Rüegg's rating of the film Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

Una enciclopedia visual de la vida y cultura popular en Alemania. Detalles aleatorios del minuto 1 al 64. --cuatro estrellas porque era cuando el cine no se basaba en una historias (¿tal vez? ¿quizas?) -- /*yo no se de cine*/

9. Ekaterina Chernyaeva's rating of the film Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

The footage is undoubtedly magnificent. Contemporary viewer may, though, find some parts a tad 'boring' or tiring to watch (I would compare this experience with classical music, to fully appreciate it one should be synched and not distracted. This could be my recommendation too).

10. Paul's rating of the film Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

As a German and due to modern politics I can't see anything in this but former Nazi-Germany. A seemingly civilized bunch of people who would turn into freaking animals a few years later.

11. m00njaguar's rating of the film Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

Lovely. A time capsule glimpse into a city and its culture in long ago moments. Nicely shot and edited, with some striking images. It saddens me to know that so much of what we see here soon was to be destroyed by World War Two. Modernity & mass culture in their early stages, still recognizable.

12. Graf von Zahl's rating of the film Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

In a way it's early predecessor of movies like Koyaanisquatsi. Full of energy. Valuable as a documentation of life is twenties - it may be surprising to see that crossing street in Berlin hundred years ago was similar to crossing street in Vietnam today.

13. AVA's rating of the film Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

Absolut hervorragend in jedweder Beziehung!

14. msmichel's rating of the film Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

Fascinating film chronicling a day and night in the life of a city; namely Berlin 1920's. Every facet is equally important here and the film doesn't get dated by politics or social norms. Instead we have a well edited, though some likely staging, document from morning to late night; the early morning production, the workplace, the hustle of the city, the night life, et al. A document of a time that stands apt.

15. Odradek's rating of the film Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

Genial. Urbane Impressionen von einem längst vergangenen Deutschland unterlegt mit klassischer Musik. Erinnert sehr an Koyaanisqatsi. Einmaliges historisches Dokument.

16. fearraigh's rating of the film Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

About half-way through the film a concerned-looking woman standing on the street has her hair ruffled by the rising wind. It's at this point you realise both how natural and unusual that looks. It embodies the tension between spontaneity and orchestration in a film that still looks as fresh as it must have in 1927.

17. David Weik's rating of the film Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

The critic at the time was that it is just a random bunch of little video snippets strung together by music, but to me it was interesting for three reasons: 1. The symbiosis of music and film 2. The glimpse into a the daily life in Berlin from the 1920s 3. And the way the clips are put together felt like they told a little story Follow me on Twitter @talkmovies2me Or on Letterboxd: letterboxd.com/criptictoumor/

18. Frank Gaviria's rating of the film Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

The great portrait of a great city.

19. Aube James's rating of the film Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

Isn't this film mesmerizingly deep and starkly unforgettable for historical reasons?

20. Le temps perdu's rating of the film Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

Enter the timemachine with this fastpaced documentary from 1927. A fascinating look at gay Berlin before the Great Crash and before the Nazis took over.

21. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

22. lindaaurorafajardo@gmail.com's rating of the film Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

Cinta que nos muestra la intensidad del Berlín de los años 20. Excelentes tomas de la vida cotidiana de diferentes grupos sociales.

23. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

The final chapter catched my eye as it seems to anticipate on the great nighttime scenes with harsh lighting we often see in film noir. The pacing, editing and the score did not do justice to the film, it felt very melancholic. It's hard not to compare this with the upbeat Man With a Movie Camera... which is better ;)

24. henk@loftmatic.com's rating of the film Berlin: Symphony of a Great City

Final score: 7. Storyline: 8, Originality: 7, Cinematography: 8, Involvement: 6, Sound: 6, Editing: 8, Educational: 9, Title design: 7, Acting: 0, Interesting: 9, Unusual: 7, Exciting: 7, Superior: 7