1. Django's rating of the film Best of Enemies

What if two men whose enormous intellects were only outsized by their monumental egos had a pissing contest on live TV? Robert Gordon not only answers that question but gives us both the historical and current framework for why we should care.

2. anarresti's rating of the film Best of Enemies

How did we get here? We used to listen to both sides. To be able to endure a debate where an enemy would argue and defend his case. Now we live in information bubbles and subscribe to feeds of people and news sources to validate how we already think. We purposefully do not expose ourselves to anything that could endanger our world view. And when we do publish ourselves it's to make sure we get validation and likes.

3. truffraud's rating of the film Best of Enemies

will you ever experience such romance.

4. s.birowo's rating of the film Best of Enemies

It's not just a formidable documentary of great eloquence and sharp repartee among William F. Buckley and Gore Vidal, it is an essential one

5. James Mackin's rating of the film Best of Enemies

It's very fun to watch these two debate.

6. Jason's rating of the film Best of Enemies

Oh, Christ. Talk about yr lesser of two evils.

7. ebabehh's rating of the film Best of Enemies

"Now listen, you queer, stop calling me a crypto-Nazi, or I'll sock you in the goddamn face, and you'll stay plastered."

8. msmichel's rating of the film Best of Enemies

Timely documentary that looks at the infamous debates between Gore Vidal and William F. Buckley Jr. during the incendiary conventions of 1968. The 'unconventional' coverage changed the face of TV news and opened the age of punditry that mars the face of reportage today. Both men gained fame but were haunted by their encounters. Impeccably researched and edited this thought provoking document is also entertaining.

9. Moses Lumpkin's rating of the film Best of Enemies

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times.

10. William's rating of the film Best of Enemies

"There is an implicit conflict of interest between that which is highly viewable and that which is highly illuminating." -- WFB

11. Operation Kino's rating of the film Best of Enemies

Eerily prescient. When I saw this in Los Angeles, the director had a Q&A session afterward. It was an interesting experience.

12. Jeremy Ashlyn's rating of the film Best of Enemies

To the bitter end. Gore Vidal is Carl Sagan?

13. Cláudio Martins da Silva Alves's rating of the film Best of Enemies

Surprisingly blunt and inelegant despite the critical acclaim it's been receiving. Less insightful than it thinks, and deeply dissapointing. The real life characters and their relationship are indeed fascinating but the filmmaking with which they're presented is monumentally lacking.

14. Célio g.'s rating of the film Best of Enemies

Nice surprise to see hitch.

15. Filipe F. Coutinho's rating of the film Best of Enemies

They say boxing is a gentlemen's sport. Well, 'Best of Enemies' proves that there's nothing like a debate between people who know their words to truly carry a punch.

16. Will Bryan's rating of the film Best of Enemies

The documentary is a little too excited about the timeliness of its own message. I wanted to see more of the debates and what each man stood for, instead of a history of their petty relationship and what it has to teach us about the news today. But still very fun to watch.

17. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Best of Enemies

A wonderful, captivating look at the origins of TV punditry, and how news turning into entertainment and American discourse dying by autoerotic asphyxiation were not corporate conspiracy but rather (even more frightening) a natural progression of public tastes. Horrifying, then, that it's still immensely entertaining, and that what was once a shocking failure of decorum on TV is now par for the course.

18. MarcelVonPure's rating of the film Best of Enemies

2 great political minds who proved to be total failures as politicians. (it's unfortunate that neither was born in a log cabin)

19. thomasjeff16's rating of the film Best of Enemies

Goddammit Hitch! Please resurrect. :-(

20. nouvelle vague 1960's rating of the film Best of Enemies

"Best Of Enemies" is the story of the 1968 television "debates"' between Liberal Gore Vidal and Conservative William F Buckley. This "clash of the intellectuals",takes place during the Republican and Democratic conventions.A fascinating account of this game changing TV confrontation,which finally devolved into mudslinging. Vidal had won the battle,but it was Buckleys ideas that were to win the war,in the Reagan years

21. Nathan Grey Hollis's rating of the film Best of Enemies

Interesting watch...great style with a wonderful soundtrack.

22. Rocco's rating of the film Best of Enemies

A total pleasure to watch these two erudite wordsmiths exchange barbs in a refreshingly even-keeled doc. Though Buckley reveals himself to be a beast, Vidal is simply a smoother operator with a desire to undermine and destroy as voracious as his opponent's.

23. Matthew Martens's rating of the film Best of Enemies

The bit-playing hired hands (talking heads, all) are almost as delightful as the film’s principles. My personal favorites are Reid Buckley, Bill’s baby brother, and Christopher Hitchens, whose reputation for scathing wit and intimidating erudition rivaled that of his elder blowhards -- “Hitchens identified himself for many years as the heir to me … unfortunately, for him, I didn't die,” said Vidal before he did.

24. flamingo jones's rating of the film Best of Enemies

Truly a delight to watch these two go at it, but I wish more of the dialogue from the 1968 debates had been featured (we mostly get jokes & vicious barbs). There is barely any footage of in-depth political commentary featured. Also, not all of the talking heads were necessary (the "media historians" in particular offered little insight). But the film prompted me to watch the debates and pick up one of Vidal's books.