1. MATTEO BITTANTI's rating of the film The Edge of Seventeen

Insufferable pedantic parable about a first world generic white teenager devoid of any passions or interests in life. The film's ideology - conformity is bliss - is depressing. Even Woody Harrelson seems to have been replaced by a body snatcher. A far cry from Greta Gerwig's Lady Bird.

2. apriccot's rating of the film The Edge of Seventeen

3. Nutter Jr's rating of the film The Edge of Seventeen

Delightful. Woody Harrelson is a living legend. I can watch him looking at paint drying.

4. Taufiq Hariyadi's rating of the film The Edge of Seventeen

8. nadnab's rating of the film The Edge of Seventeen

9. camilladej's rating of the film The Edge of Seventeen

10. Marco Tassinari's rating of the film The Edge of Seventeen

11. janice.hughes's rating of the film The Edge of Seventeen

As a huge fan of Woody Harrelson my expectations were high but this teen comedy of nuanced social pressures has failed to meet the test of time in spite of a good performance from Hailee Steinfeld.

12. felisaf's rating of the film The Edge of Seventeen

13. Ryan327's rating of the film The Edge of Seventeen

14. Claennis's rating of the film The Edge of Seventeen

15. ali di pollo's rating of the film The Edge of Seventeen

16. Zach Closs's rating of the film The Edge of Seventeen

I wanted to love it, for the acerbic screenplay and nuanced performances. "The Edge of Seventeen" ventures into dark, stressful territory most 'teen comedies' wouldn't broach -- but it betrays itself when it shoehorns tacky 'teen comedy' elements into the narrative, at the expense of a consistent tone and natural character development. Still a special film, but it could've been so much more.

17. Laura Ivaškėvičiūte's rating of the film The Edge of Seventeen

18. lonesome-boat's rating of the film The Edge of Seventeen

19. orangepeelon's rating of the film The Edge of Seventeen

20. Kamran's rating of the film The Edge of Seventeen

A little more clever and entertaining than the average, but ultimately it's just another quirky indie with a predictable arc and superficial resolution. 71/100 - Good.

21. Alden's rating of the film The Edge of Seventeen

I connected with Nadine and thought I understood each of the feelings that she keeps storming all over the place. The ending could be too luminous or plain for some, but Hailee Steinfeld helped me buy into it. Haley Lu Richardson is radiant and Woody Harrelson's crude sacarsm works marvels when crossing fire with Nadine. Possible moral is: you may have to teach yourself to think outside of you if no one else did.

22. Louise_Dietrich's rating of the film The Edge of Seventeen

Hailee Steinfeld was so great in this. The screenplay, wow. Add this performance with Rebecca Hall's in the "how did the academy nominate Meryl Streep but not x" list.

23. Aardsy's rating of the film The Edge of Seventeen

Andy Herren never steers me wrong!

24. Huey McEvoy's rating of the film The Edge of Seventeen

Hailee Steinfeld gives one of the most brilliantly committed and thoughtful performances I've seen in a coming of age movie, perfectly portraying Nadine - and by extension, all teenagers - as her own worst enemy. The short texting scene towards the end between Nadine and her mother beautifully illustrates the eternal parenting anguish of Letting Go.

← Previous 1 3 4 5