1. Harriehhh's rating of the film Betty Blue

Only watched the theatrical version so I'm holding off full judgement till I've seen the director's cut. However, I absolutely loved the use of colour in this film – so vibrant and provocative. Some scenes were a little over the top, which came across a touch too comedic, or at the very least ironic, and tended to break my immersion when I was trying to stifle inappropriate giggles at otherwise serious moments.

2. xuxuxush's rating of the film Betty Blue

another one that reinforces destructive and boring myths of a woman as sub-rational, crazy, hysterical, primal, "natural," dangerous femme fatale/unhinged seductress/fragile childlike figure that needs constant male protection etc. etc. This is every Picasso painting and Baudelaire poem and Wagner opera and Hollywood movie. So tiresome.

3. Nancarrow's rating of the film Betty Blue

4. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Betty Blue

5. Sarika Joglekar's rating of the film Betty Blue

a week later --- i think i hated this

6. Johnny Seeker's rating of the film Betty Blue

I didn't like it! there is no point to this and the world doesn't work as such! Alas, I enjoyed looking at Béatrice Dalle's body very much.

7. choupinet's rating of the film Betty Blue

It was difficult for me to finish it. It certainly could've been shorter.

8. vizija's rating of the film Betty Blue

9. Superfrog's rating of the film Betty Blue

Photography is amazing with some of the best photography I have encountered in a long while. The character study is interesting, ringing closer to home than what many of us are comfortable with. The script itself lacks rhythm somewhat and some of the surrealist scenes feel a bit like coming out of nowhere. I can't believe it took me so long to actually see this having known about it for ages.

10. Ankush Samant's rating of the film Betty Blue

Disturbing and beautiful!! You might never see anything like this ever again!

11. Leon Berrange's rating of the film Betty Blue

I only ever gave one other 5 start rating... to Altman's Nashville. This is just stunning in every way...

12. ant's rating of the film Betty Blue

If this would have been shot in the US I think Juliette Lewis should have had the part.

13. Za Hoo's rating of the film Betty Blue

shallow presentation of both betty and her mental illness.

14. Millie's rating of the film Betty Blue

Complex characters with a touching story. I laughed and cried. Also beautiful colours and landscapes which complimented the mood.

15. charlotte kepel's rating of the film Betty Blue

16. Laura Hitchman's rating of the film Betty Blue

Heart-warming, stylish, funny, arousing... and devastating. I bawled my eyes out. I find the ultra-erotic label odd; it was just a genuine portrayal of a romance.

17. SiIencio's rating of the film Betty Blue

Beineix can not hide his capital sins with a string of glossy shots infused in colour lights. Cheap comic acts, shallow treatment of mental illness and self-indulgent eroticism are what Beineix' Cinéma du look has to offer, a melting pot of poor and vague ideas good enough as long as the wrapping is colourful and shinny. It beggars belief how shallow and vague it all feels after a 180-minute long feature.

18. m.jempson@btinternet.com's rating of the film Betty Blue

Fascinating if doom-laden exploration of infatuation, restlessness and rootlessness - sadness and madness. Solipsistic and amoral but no less enjoyable for all that, Perhaps this version is a tad over-long. Admirable performances all round.

19. DanB3000's rating of the film Betty Blue

Shocking French misogynism, but beautifully shot. Plot: guy meets hot chick, guy likes to screw hot chick, hot chick becomes "difficult" every month or so, goes crazy, so guy decides he's had enough and smothers her in her hospital bed. Guy now much happier and writes books while smoking Gauloise and talking to his cat. But having said all that, the first half of the film is great.

20. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Betty Blue

It's one of the greatest gems from the 80's. One of the best movies about lucidity, or not. One of the best movies about escape. A classic one. Three hours length, and it worth every frame.

21. alimcintyre's rating of the film Betty Blue

A great movie that covers all the emotions from lust through romance, eroticism and happiness to crime and violence. Probably the best French movie I've seen.

22. Renzo Vasquez's rating of the film Betty Blue

One of the best films that I have ever seen.

23. Tja's rating of the film Betty Blue

Betty Bender, more like! This is an engrossing three hours of French bi-polar mayhem. Had it been set in the US, there would have been multiple firearm fatalities within the first hour, but the French mileux gives us a more relaxed context for the display of Betty's psychological condition, her hot bod and her on-off-on-off-on relationship. The tragic ending is inevitable and moving.

24. lemmontage's rating of the film Betty Blue

Incredible performances. 1986. Very original style. Bold choices. Lean. Honest.

← Previous 1 3 4 5