1. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Bicycle Thieves

4.5 stars. Less realist and more fabulist that its designation as 'neorealist' would imply, but the two central performances are so emotionally convincing that you only feel whatsoever manipulated in retrospect [in this way, it reminds me of Ghibli's 'Grave of the Fireflies']. I wonder if it's an especially male thing to do, but I couldn't help but read my relationship with my own dad into the film. Weepily sincere.

2. Aulia Indry's rating of the film Bicycle Thieves

Sad but fun that seeing little things can change everything

3. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Bicycle Thieves

Like a shaggy dog version of Kurosawa's 'Stray Dog', 'Bicycle Thieves' is an understated articulation of issues accompanying life in Italy's post-war economic depression. It also reminds me a bit of 'M' in the way it lays out why someone could completely and utterly fail to overcome the criminal element in a crowded city. I can see why it meant so much to the Italian neorealist movement.

4. ninchok's rating of the film Bicycle Thieves

The fact that none of the actors really were actors makes this beautiful film even more beautiful.

5. Edna Sweetlove's rating of the film Bicycle Thieves

6. FISCHER's rating of the film Bicycle Thieves

Classique des classiques de l'école néo-réaliste italienne, le film n'a perdu ni de son émotion diffuse ni de son limpide constat social d'après-guerre... www.cinefiches.com

7. Ben Nash's rating of the film Bicycle Thieves

De Sica has an important political point to make, and the child is absolutely incredible, but I find myself feeling that there's not much else other than that.

8. yovargas's rating of the film Bicycle Thieves

A thoughtful, kind-hearted, deeply compassionate movie about the plight of the common man that is also, well, kinda boring. It has some really nice moments but a lot of it feels a bit flat to me, lacking that certain punch or panache it needed to win me over. A movie I can respect, while not especially enjoying. It gets a B-.

9. Aardsy's rating of the film Bicycle Thieves

It's very simple to break one's heart.

10. P D Dawson's rating of the film Bicycle Thieves

Quite simply a masterpiece in every way. The acting is heart aching and beautiful and one believes this is life itself. So wonderfully shot and tenderly put together, this film left me speechless. Its enduring power owes much to the father and son relationship, one which is unparalleled and rarely explored and treated as tenderly as it is here. My heart was breaking at the finale, and a little broken still.

11. ΞRIC B∆D TASTΞ's rating of the film Bicycle Thieves

12. MistaRichard's rating of the film Bicycle Thieves

A classic tearjerker. The young Enzo Staiola (almost) outperforms Maggiorani; extraordinary.

13. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Bicycle Thieves

14. ermete polpette's rating of the film Bicycle Thieves

15. _cmb's rating of the film Bicycle Thieves

16. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Bicycle Thieves

I watched it because it's on TSPDT's list of the 1000 greatest films ever. I can appreciate it without actually liking it. It's that neo-realism thing that turns me off. It just seems like melodrama to me.

17. Samuel Righi's rating of the film Bicycle Thieves

18. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Bicycle Thieves

I can't deny the masterful potency of Bicycle Thieves, its moral clarity and the way that, although it's arthouse by default today, it could play to a crowd in '48. Part of my skepticism toward Italian neorealism has to do with its legacy, and the way so many modern festival pretenders gild the lily with over-the-top plot contrivances. De Sica's original knows that simple and mundane can have great emotional power.

19. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Bicycle Thieves

20. Rebecca Lynn Johnson's rating of the film Bicycle Thieves

I can appreciate its portrayal of post-WWII poverty and the struggle of Italian families to keep afloat, but it wasn't very engaging. The story was elongated to a flaw. It would've worked better as a short film.

21. Luca Casilli's rating of the film Bicycle Thieves

22. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Bicycle Thieves

23. Sander Moyson's rating of the film Bicycle Thieves

What reverberates in the interlocked hands of a child and his father? The grief that gleams in raw reality.

24. greers's rating of the film Bicycle Thieves