1. Peregrine's rating of the film Billy Liar

One for the dreamers lying under the sheet of the system. We will build towers. Towers! No less.

2. Feellikeanumber's rating of the film Billy Liar

3. Elif's rating of the film Billy Liar

Julie Christie, the rumors are true. As the pages turn, my eyes are glued to the movie star and his sordid life.

4. josé neves's rating of the film Billy Liar

5. Timbo of Boston's rating of the film Billy Liar

Billy Liar has a nice Beatles era 1960's feel. Courtney is excellent and Christie beautiful and perfect, as always. The British cast of quirky character actors and street scenes are what Schlesinger continued to perfect. It's interesting to compare to Midnight Cowboy for the theme of imagination and ambition squelched by everyday reality.

6. David R Williams's rating of the film Billy Liar

Sooner or later we all have to grow up...or perhaps not. Still...choosing not to go to London with Julie Christie...hard to believe that.

7. Morris Bros.'s rating of the film Billy Liar

8. Nick Potter's rating of the film Billy Liar

A solid improvement over the previous Sclesinger, mostly due to the tighter script and the even better performances from Tom Courtenay (who eerily reminds me of a young Ewan McGregor) and Julie Christie.

9. Joanne Allen's rating of the film Billy Liar

Without giving away the ending, the film ends just as it should. Amazing from the beginning

10. adamjaymorris's rating of the film Billy Liar

Brisk direction and skilled filmography make up for the slightly cloying plot, such as it is.

11. ShawnD's rating of the film Billy Liar

Utterly delightful and at once knowing and innocent. Borrowed if not outright lifted from Walter Mitty, this vehicle for Courtenay captures the willingness we all have to escape from the drab humdrum of everyday life. And who wouldn't be snapped out of a dream state by Julie Christie and agree to meet her at a bus station in the middle of the night?

12. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Billy Liar

(3.5 stars) An intriguing character study of story about an "Angry Young Man" who constantly reasons himself out of moving on with his arrested development. He amuses himself with daydreams that have him enacting various roles from his imagination. Some really funny editing to make these daydreams come to life onscreen, such as becoming a gangster and gunning down anyone who angers him. A true delight of a film.

13. Matthew Martens's rating of the film Billy Liar

Let's to Ambrosia while the sun flames out.

14. Michael Schmidt's rating of the film Billy Liar

Wacky. If Julie Christy wasn't in it, I'd probably have given it a 3.

15. Tomymac's rating of the film Billy Liar

16. Aardsy's rating of the film Billy Liar

Just sit and imagine ourselves there.

17. SpacePirate's rating of the film Billy Liar

What an excellent film. I loved Courtenay in Dist. Runner so wanted to see this for some time. Early Christie also peaked my interest. The result is a great gem that serves as a giant middle finger to the British films of yore. Its equal parts funny and sad, and I feel I identify a bit too much with the title character which has me worried my life is passing me by while in fantasy land. Midlife crisis aside, 5 stars

18. Bilouaustria's rating of the film Billy Liar

The best exemple of Free Cinema or what some called the British New Wave. Whether it is Tony Richardson in England, Forman or Wajda elsewhere, even Bellochio at the time, you can feel in those movies how the 60´s was a time of rebellion against the system, a need to reject authority. It is fresh, out of the studio system, full of energy, and bitter in the end. In a word : generational.

19. HSBilly's rating of the film Billy Liar

superb performances. oh and julie christie is beautiful as ever.

20. Muraki's rating of the film Billy Liar

I really love this dreamy atmosphere drama

21. Severus Snape's rating of the film Billy Liar

22. Stevie's rating of the film Billy Liar

Julie Christie's introduction is a blissful scene of pure cinema.

23. Maurice Lee's rating of the film Billy Liar

If there was to be a remake of this, I wonder if The Decemberists would do the score...

24. Teona Gal's rating of the film Billy Liar

Today's a day of big decisions -