1. Jason's rating of the film Bird of Paradise

Deliriously salacious pre-code romp w/ exposed posteriors, barely camouflaged breasts, and seriously suggestive use of coconut milk. It was the beginning of talkies. The machinery was ponderous and heavy. It is impressive to see some of the ways Vidor is inspired to place the camera. It looks great. And it is deliciously stupid. Coconut milk shooting out the nostrils stupid. Some will be aghast. Some appalled.

2. Denise's rating of the film Bird of Paradise

Un film d'amore estremamente classico, mi è piaciuto molto.

3. Leco's rating of the film Bird of Paradise

Please, do not watch this if you are taking it seriously. Joke (?) aside, it's one to pass without feeling guilty. But if you have some spare time, it's a pre-Code movie, so it's kinda interesting to watch with that in mind. Other than that, it really isn't a good movie.

4. msmichel's rating of the film Bird of Paradise

Pretty creaky old King Vidor film that seems to have tried to cash in on 'Tabu' and 'Tarzan' with a silly story about a seaman's love with a native girl. McCrea is pretty awful here and Dolores Del Rio may well be sexy but even the film's pre-code naughtiness doesn't keep it interesting.

5. janh24's rating of the film Bird of Paradise

Enjoyable enough romp, but nothing spectacular.

6. samu_'s rating of the film Bird of Paradise

I watched this film for breakfast and I am so happy I did. A little slice of Paradise was a great start to my day. Johnny knocked that house up pretty swiftly and that coconut water must have given Luana the power to speak English! haha

7. Storm KMB Moon's rating of the film Bird of Paradise

Given the age of the film I expected racism and sexism, but that's no excuse for the flat, unengaging characters and flimsy plot! Definitely one to miss.

8. Ben Dooley's rating of the film Bird of Paradise

A sublime RKO ethno-fantasy of the South Seas, combining genuine island footage shot in Hawai'i with pure cinema magic. The cinematography excels in earthquake, whirlpool, and volcano effects, but also in the lighting of faces, underwater scenes and in Vidor's bold visual storytelling. It's an absurd story of a white man in love with a native, using all the expected stereotypes; but it's also a triumph for cinema.

9. 0ldScratch's rating of the film Bird of Paradise

10. Howard Orr's rating of the film Bird of Paradise

Dolores del Rio, modesty saved by strategically-placed sticky tape under her garland, falls for Joel McCrea's Ivy League hair and way with TEFL. Joyously un-PC, but the wonderfully economical storytelling is what makes such a lightweight little film thrilling.

11. raggiodisole's rating of the film Bird of Paradise

aw so sweet in the beginning, it just had you smiling along. But it all got a bit muddled by the end. Who were you rooting for? All this wearing my 1930's glasses by the way

12. Charlie's rating of the film Bird of Paradise

Not my kind of movie, sometimes too romantic for me.

13. rociof's rating of the film Bird of Paradise

Visualmente extraña y perecedera. No soporté los primeros cinco minutos. Ellos lanzando sus pertenencias y lxs otrxs incautxs probándolas.

14. Dan and Emily's rating of the film Bird of Paradise

Great sets and costumes, fun dance numbers. Dolores Del Rio is magnetic! Pre-Hays Code films are even more risque than I imagined as we are treated to a lighthearted interspecies love scene when Johnny attempts to mount a sea turtle.

15. Mylicon_En's rating of the film Bird of Paradise

Visivamente potente e visionario, cliché e sciocchezze della trama si perdonano per la libertà di personaggi ce nel 1932 non nascondevano pulsioni e tendenze.

16. Rachel Tyler's rating of the film Bird of Paradise

Almost impossible to enjoy such a trite plot and flat characters. The movie is, predictably, racist, and littered with lines like, "what if i make you kiss me" and "you belong to me now," all of which perpetuate the dominance of the white male. Not to mention this seemingly harmless flick emphasizes the misconception that lust is identical to love. But as for the filmmaking, the underwater camera work is beautiful.

17. El Biffo's rating of the film Bird of Paradise

Vidor was great (I love THE CROWD), and this film gets 3 stars for being watchable and entertaining, but my appreciation for such racist garbage is very limited. Almost every scene perpetuates white supremacy and the Hollywood meme of Tribal people as "other", "superstitious", and incapable of rational thought. I know, I am supposed to be pleased with Dolores Del Rio dancing topless, or seeing coconut milk dripping

18. Angie Phillips's rating of the film Bird of Paradise

Despite being precode, an interracial couple in those days always ended with death therefore not condemning the radical love nor supporting its fruition. Dolores del Rio exuded both innocence and sex at the same time!

19. Weston Campbell's rating of the film Bird of Paradise

It's a twisted morality which would condemn this film's mild sexuality yet find no fault with its flagrant dehumanization of all but the archetypal white male hero. Aside from that, this is a thoroughly entertaining adventure from a time when the lessons of the silent era had not yet been completely cast aside by the production-line homogeneity of Hollywood's so-called "Golden Age".