1. Marina C.'s rating of the film Black Girl

Seemingly blunt in its' message, La Noire De conveys the feeling of being 'noire' in France through the mask: the mask Diouana willingly yet unknowingly gives away. The mask that becomes the embodiment of her slavery in the house in France and the moments where, before the end, she claims it back to herself. As she says "it's hers" and "she was lied to". Frantz Fanon obviously at work here.

2. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Black Girl

The final shot. I hope the Senegalese boy in the mask haunts that white guy forever.

3. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Black Girl

I respect this film more than I enjoyed it.

4. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Black Girl

3.5 stars. Searing Brechtian cinema misrecognised as cinéma vérité. A compassionate and politically serious investigation into the difference between freedom in name and freedom in practice. I realised that I had been mispronouncing Sembène's name to my class - the kind of casual acting out of privilege embodied by the French couple. A film that teaches you to be on your toes against complacency.

5. Jason's rating of the film Black Girl

BLACK GIRL seems at first like a fairly blunt embodiment of standard discourse around colonial appropriation of bodies and spirits, but does a tremendous about-face and becomes a stirring fable about spiritual resistance and reclamation. The final section of the film - in theory little more than an epilogue - turns the movie away from the standard prosody toward a deeply impactful poetry of overcoming. Sublime.

6. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Black Girl

7. Ayinde Anderson's rating of the film Black Girl

8. Aardsy's rating of the film Black Girl

Is France that black void?

9. doublelife91's rating of the film Black Girl

Thanks to Criterion this restored gem of African cinema will be around for a very long time to come.

10. adam's rating of the film Black Girl

11. Ryan Swen's rating of the film Black Girl

An astounding display of interiority made exterior only to those who will listen.

12. Chris's rating of the film Black Girl

surprisingly potent for a short (~60 min) film, executed well and i enjoyed the music; it's always good to get different views and this film goes well with white/french films on colonial/race relations (ie. Claire Denis's films) 9/10

13. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Black Girl

Those moments of glory, moments of beauty, moments of transcendence. I’ve called it pure cinema before. Moments of clarity, of honesty, of truth. I’ve had a difficult time deciding how to grade this, teetering between B+ and A-. It has a couple of those perfect moments. Is it enough? There are things that don’t quite work, but when it does work, it becomes profound.

14. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Black Girl

7.3/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2AA

15. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Black Girl

16. kailanthropy's rating of the film Black Girl

First of all Mbissine Thérèse Diop is quite literally the most beautiful girl ever. Second, I'm going to write a longer analysis of this for cléo journal later this year.

17. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film Black Girl

This is in my mind the best movie ever to come out of Africa. It combines France as a virtual space of desire for a black woman, with the deception when she finally arrives there. Heartbreaking and beautifully shot. In many ways Ousmane Sembene is Africa's Tarkovsky, the thematic similarities between the two are legion.

18. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Black Girl

At first glance seems trite, cliche and even boring, but gets under your skin as you think about it. A testament to body as protest, with added anger since bigotry here occurs solely on basis of color.

19. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Black Girl

..2017 - PLAN - Fil à voir !

20. Dignan's rating of the film Black Girl

Terrific photography but I felt no empathy for the "black girl."

21. Mr. Smifff's rating of the film Black Girl

The best representation of colonialism I have ever seen. Diouana is silent, but we can hear her voice, her frustration, and her despair. We need more movies like this!

22. εξώτερο Διάστημα's rating of the film Black Girl

3,5 Diouana's story is that of many Eastern European women who leave to take care of the old and sick in Western countries, are cooped up in employers' house around the clock, allowed to go out for a few hours on Sunday to attend the mass or the supermarket to buy next week provisions. What does anyone care for their psychical well-being and wear-up? Here's to them. Europe has got its intracontinental blacks aplenty.

23. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Black Girl

24. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Black Girl

A film about masks-- those we choose to wear, those that are imposed on us.