1. josé neves's rating of the film Black Girl

16mm. Beautiful crystalline images of an ideological text that does not replace or overlap them but integrates it with an organic discursiveness. A great lesson from Jean Rouch, which is followed here with an autonomous non-imitative look, that at the same time constituted an initiatory stage in Black African cinema.

2. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film Black Girl

3. Seesaw's rating of the film Black Girl

4. Sean Patrick Stevens's rating of the film Black Girl

Like a great short story it is deceptively simple yet hard to forget.

5. Genadijus L.'s rating of the film Black Girl

Superb and thrilling ending has such a poweful symbolic meaning both for the individual and more global (postcolonialistic) world aspects, in terms of woman rights, status, gender and culture acceptance.

6. letters never sent's rating of the film Black Girl

Powerful but fell flat on some aspect, particularly Diouna's character. It's good that her treatment under her employers wasn't done melodramatically, yet it was all too passive. She was passive, and that decision she made in the end felt too abrupt. Sadly, something like this still happens to domestic workers.

7. dionysus67's rating of the film Black Girl

Visceral in its minimalist portrayal of an African woman's plight as a domestic servant for a bourgeois French family, early Sembène's gem captures a contemporary form of slavery without recourse to dramatic pyrotechnics, but, instead, far more effectively with careful denotations like the black mask on the white apartment wall. The diminution of an entire contintent to instinctual Being is delivered with conviction.

8. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film Black Girl

An intriguing little film from Senegal dealing with racial relationships between Africa and Europe in the 60s. Just wish it hadn't had such a predictable conclusion but essential for African cinema.

9. Marina C.'s rating of the film Black Girl

Seemingly blunt in its' message, La Noire De conveys the feeling of being 'noire' in France through the mask: the mask Diouana willingly yet unknowingly gives away. The mask that becomes the embodiment of her slavery in the house in France and the moments where, before the end, she claims it back to herself. As she says "it's hers" and "she was lied to". Frantz Fanon obviously at work here.

10. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Black Girl

The final shot. I hope the Senegalese boy in the mask haunts that white guy forever.

11. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Black Girl

I respect this film more than I enjoyed it.

12. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Black Girl

3.5 stars. Searing Brechtian cinema misrecognised as cinéma vérité. A compassionate and politically serious investigation into the difference between freedom in name and freedom in practice. I realised that I had been mispronouncing Sembène's name to my class - the kind of casual acting out of privilege embodied by the French couple. A film that teaches you to be on your toes against complacency.

13. Jason's rating of the film Black Girl

BLACK GIRL seems at first like a fairly blunt embodiment of standard discourse around colonial appropriation of bodies and spirits, but does a tremendous about-face and becomes a stirring fable about spiritual resistance and reclamation. The final section of the film - in theory little more than an epilogue - turns the movie away from the standard prosody toward a deeply impactful poetry of overcoming. Sublime.

14. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Black Girl

15. Ayinde Anderson's rating of the film Black Girl

16. Aardsy's rating of the film Black Girl

Is France that black void?

17. doublelife91's rating of the film Black Girl

Thanks to Criterion this restored gem of African cinema will be around for a very long time to come.

18. adam's rating of the film Black Girl

19. Ryan Swen's rating of the film Black Girl

An astounding display of interiority made exterior only to those who will listen.

20. Chris's rating of the film Black Girl

surprisingly potent for a short (~60 min) film, executed well and i enjoyed the music; it's always good to get different views and this film goes well with white/french films on colonial/race relations (ie. Claire Denis's films) 9/10

21. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Black Girl

Those moments of glory, moments of beauty, moments of transcendence. I’ve called it pure cinema before. Moments of clarity, of honesty, of truth. I’ve had a difficult time deciding how to grade this, teetering between B+ and A-. It has a couple of those perfect moments. Is it enough? There are things that don’t quite work, but when it does work, it becomes profound.

22. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Black Girl

7.3/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2AA

23. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Black Girl

24. kailanthropy's rating of the film Black Girl

First of all Mbissine Thérèse Diop is quite literally the most beautiful girl ever. Second, I'm going to write a longer analysis of this for cléo journal later this year.