1. Ruby's rating of the film Black Moon

Such a pointless and half-hearted attempt at hyper-conscious surrealism. It's like Malle emulated all of the elements that he feels create a surrealist work, but merely replicated them devoid of meaning and substance.

2. Jimmi HRS's rating of the film Black Moon

Malle has attempted to create this Carroll-esque type modern wonderland, but it really lacks any real meaning or direction. The film is just a chain of arbitrary events with a painfully bad actor as the protagonist. Despite her awful acting the character herself isn't particularly a likable character. I really wanted to enjoy the film but its only redeeming quality is the talking unicorn.

3. Morris Bros.'s rating of the film Black Moon

4. Fabio Nosotti's rating of the film Black Moon

5. cineaste's rating of the film Black Moon

I enjoy my dreams more than this reverie by Malle, though he has Nykvist and I do not.

6. Benji's rating of the film Black Moon

I like surreal films. And I enjoyed this. Like Chabrol's Alice film, this starts with a car crash and the windscreen shattering.

7. Through A Glass, Darkly's rating of the film Black Moon

Otherworldly, in a strangely fascinating way. Go follow the unicorn.

8. saptarshi's rating of the film Black Moon

holy pretentious + frenchie misogynie

9. Pymo's rating of the film Black Moon

Alice in whathefuck land.

10. SUPERCONTINENT's rating of the film Black Moon

i'm having such a hard time getting my hands on this! as far as i can tell, it's only available in the box-set and PAL from austrailia.. any suggestions?

11. Jeremy Ashlyn's rating of the film Black Moon

12. tibber's rating of the film Black Moon

I'm not sure I got it, but I know I loved it. Malick meets Lynch Meets Gilliam, but mostly predating them. Brilliant.

13. bugz's rating of the film Black Moon

fantastic is the word for this one

14. Patrick Humphreys's rating of the film Black Moon

My least favourite kind of film. Throw a whole bunch of bizarre, unrelated images and situations together and let the audience figure out the meaning - i.e. the Lynch method. Not a bad way of working, necessarily, but certainly not for me. I love Malle and he's made some of the best films I've seen - particularly Pretty Baby (1978). Some parts of this I found vaguely interesting but it was mostly just tedious.

15. El Biffo's rating of the film Black Moon

The talking unicorn is what really makes it for me. I just love that.

16. Scorpio Velvet's rating of the film Black Moon

17. Greg S.'s rating of the film Black Moon

Hard to believe this work when unrecognized for so long and that it's initial reaction was that the film didn't entirely work and maybe in the 70's I could understand but today the surrealism and childlike playfulness feels way more fluid than the headiness you get with a David Lynch knockoff. Malle's use of animal imagery is particularly skillful. "Dreamlike" is thrown around a lot but this film nails it down.

18. Joshua's rating of the film Black Moon

Precious for most of its time with us.

19. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film Black Moon

Cathryn Harrison is on point as the ephebophiliac pin-up protagonist caught between "Little Joe" and a unicorn in this Louis Malle allegory/sexual awakening concoction. Here, the line between fantastic and ludicrous becomes blurred at times, but the sensual tension (which is the film's common language), is consistent thanks in part to Sven Nykvist's color lighting as well as Cathryn Harrison's energetic performance.

20. LETTERBOXD.COM/XESCIE's rating of the film Black Moon

21. seakat's rating of the film Black Moon

22. Thayná de Paula's rating of the film Black Moon

This looks so much like an actual dream I'd have. Even the way I feel about it is kinda like the way I feel about most of my dreams. And that doesn't make any sense. But that's it.

23. Steve Paixão's rating of the film Black Moon

C'est simplement une aversion au conte classique d' Alice au pays des merveilles. Tout dans le film existe et n'existe pas. Une ejaculation visuelle.

24. Smooj Betty Phace's rating of the film Black Moon

I only watched this film because of that scene in Waking Life when Soderbergh tells the story of how Louis Malle and Billy Wilder met in the 70s. Well, lesson learned: never again watch a film of dream within a dream referenced in another film about a dream.