1. Fabio Nosotti's rating of the film Black Moon

2. cineaste's rating of the film Black Moon

I enjoy my dreams more than this reverie by Malle, though he has Nykvist and I do not.

3. Benji's rating of the film Black Moon

I like surreal films. And I enjoyed this. Like Chabrol's Alice film, this starts with a car crash and the windscreen shattering.

4. Through A Glass, Darkly's rating of the film Black Moon

Otherworldly, in a strangely fascinating way. Go follow the unicorn.

5. saptarshi's rating of the film Black Moon

holy pretentious + frenchie misogynie

6. Pymo's rating of the film Black Moon

Alice in whathefuck land.

7. SUPERCONTINENT's rating of the film Black Moon

i'm having such a hard time getting my hands on this! as far as i can tell, it's only available in the box-set and PAL from austrailia.. any suggestions?

8. Jeremy Ashlyn's rating of the film Black Moon

9. filmcapsule's rating of the film Black Moon

The newest Criterion film, it seems.

10. tibber's rating of the film Black Moon

I'm not sure I got it, but I know I loved it. Malick meets Lynch Meets Gilliam, but mostly predating them. Brilliant.

11. bugz's rating of the film Black Moon

fantastic is the word for this one

12. Patrick Humphreys's rating of the film Black Moon

My least favourite kind of film. Throw a whole bunch of bizarre, unrelated images and situations together and let the audience figure out the meaning - i.e. the Lynch method. Not a bad way of working, necessarily, but certainly not for me. I love Malle and he's made some of the best films I've seen - particularly Pretty Baby (1978). Some parts of this I found vaguely interesting but it was mostly just tedious.

13. El Biffo's rating of the film Black Moon

The talking unicorn is what really makes it for me. I just love that.

14. Scorpio Velvet's rating of the film Black Moon

15. Greg S.'s rating of the film Black Moon

Hard to believe this work when unrecognized for so long and that it's initial reaction was that the film didn't entirely work and maybe in the 70's I could understand but today the surrealism and childlike playfulness feels way more fluid than the headiness you get with a David Lynch knockoff. Malle's use of animal imagery is particularly skillful. "Dreamlike" is thrown around a lot but this film nails it down.

16. Joshua's rating of the film Black Moon

Precious for most of its time with us.

17. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film Black Moon

Cathryn Harrison is on point as the ephebophiliac pin-up protagonist caught between "Little Joe" and a unicorn in this Louis Malle allegory/sexual awakening concoction. Here, the line between fantastic and ludicrous becomes blurred at times, but the sensual tension (which is the film's common language), is consistent thanks in part to Sven Nykvist's color lighting as well as Cathryn Harrison's energetic performance.

18. ‏ㅤletterboxd.com/xescie's rating of the film Black Moon

19. seakat's rating of the film Black Moon

20. thay's rating of the film Black Moon

This looks so much like an actual dream I'd have. Even the way I feel about it is kinda like the way I feel about most of my dreams. And that doesn't make any sense. But that's it.

21. Steve Paixão's rating of the film Black Moon

C'est simplement une aversion au conte classique d' Alice au pays des merveilles. Tout dans le film existe et n'existe pas. Une ejaculation visuelle.

22. Smooj Betty Phace's rating of the film Black Moon

I only watched this film because of that scene in Waking Life when Soderbergh tells the story of how Louis Malle and Billy Wilder met in the 70s. Well, lesson learned: never again watch a film of dream within a dream referenced in another film about a dream.

23. ORAS's rating of the film Black Moon

Couldn't get it in the beginning, But its expected for the first viewing, later on in the film I felt Like im living a nightmare where logic is absent and everything is just intriguingly Bizarre, turn off your worries about what is real and what it means, and just observe how atmospheric and grotesque these two hours are, The very first film of Its kind for me, nearly Jodorowsky-esque but yet way beyond

24. NICOLE86's rating of the film Black Moon

I feel like if I were to come back as a creature I would probably look like the unicorn in this piece.