1. Henri de Corinth's rating of the film Black Night

“It’s like Lynch,” “It’s like Greenaway,” “It’s like the Quay brothers,” “It’s like Gilliam,” “It’s like Kafka,” and on and on and on. It's ostensibly in the tradition of Kafka but steeped more so in our popular notion of Kafka (engendered in part by decades of reductive high school curricula). At this point Smolders had been making films for over twenty years -why not compare it to previous work? [...]

2. Raluca Popescu's rating of the film Black Night

3. Alessandra N.'s rating of the film Black Night

4. This is Jake Kath's rating of the film Black Night

The best live action Quay Brothers movie that wasn't directed by the Quay Brothers! This is expressionism entering an entirely different nightmare realm that only really has been touched by Peter Greenway. Quite the show! I just wished it was a little more captivating.

5. Remote Viewer's rating of the film Black Night

A Kafkaesque collage of dream sequences that "doesn't show the man dreaming but the dream itself." We glimpse, as voyeurs, into a staged enactment of altered memory // Themes revolve around metamorphosis, insects, and guilt. There are hints of Lynch and Gilliam // Obscurity keeps it from full-on pretentiousness. From the beginning, no attempts are made to hide its uninterpretable surrealism. Plus, a zebra.