1. Gia de Almeida's rating of the film Black Sunday

A complete masterclass in b&w cinematography. Very atmospheric and genuinely creepy to watch, even today.

2. Amandio Filipe Moura's rating of the film Black Sunday

3. chanandre's rating of the film Black Sunday

[Cinémathèque PT: 35mm] A quote from Johnny Sack comes to mind: "I mean what happened to this thing...? (pause) For god sake, we bend more rules than the Catholic church!". And that was precisely what was going thru my mind whilst i sat thru this amazing film screening - what ever happened to the horror/fantastic genre...? Where did it go?

4. Naoya Kugimiya's rating of the film Black Sunday

5. andretz's rating of the film Black Sunday

6. Nolan Barth's rating of the film Black Sunday

Mario Bava's Black Sunday is an eerie and macabre horror film full of beautiful gothic imagery and incredible creative camera work. However, the real star here is the gorgeous Barbara Steele who goes from alluring to terrifying in the blink of an eye! However, I found myself checking my watch every couple of minutes. For some reason it just didn't hold my attention. Maybe I need to give it a second chance.

7. Charlotte Couch's rating of the film Black Sunday

At this point that we are at in film progression, Black Sunday was something I laughed at in multiple scenes just because I compared it to modern day horror movies. But I had to then set myself in the mindset of a teenager in 1960, and this film was something never seen before. The close-up shots with the witch and dark demeanor of the movie was very creepy.

8. amberjack's rating of the film Black Sunday

That was a surprisingly scary film.

9. Nick Schwab's rating of the film Black Sunday

Artistic in its mood and atmosphere, but this is a case of depthless horror that goes only for scares, but isn't scary because it's too beautifully fine-tuned. Horror is an odd emotion: class and sophistication is a good trait for any kind of film, but scares are most effective when they feel dangerous and like a violation. Black Sunday is a quite good film (and is classy and sophisticated) but is safe and polite.

10. David R Williams's rating of the film Black Sunday

A classic of Italian neo-gothic. http://sensesofcinema.com/2003/cteq/black_sunday/

11. Monkey Flix's rating of the film Black Sunday

It has some good moments of creepiness and a great gothic feel.

12. Aardsy's rating of the film Black Sunday

Very stylist gobbledygook.

13. Gracie Thompson's rating of the film Black Sunday

The most entertaining aspect of Black Sunday was the film score. Aside from that, this picture was disappointing in its lack of suspense for being in the genre of horror. While it was created in 1960, the predictability was excruciating dubbing it nothing short of boring. I found this to be a cringe-worthy approach to a "scary" film due to its complete lack of excitement or intruige.

14. Honeychurch's rating of the film Black Sunday

I really wanted to like this and there were some great shots and visuals. But the script was so atrocious and worse the DUBBING! it really ruined the whole experience. Is the Italian version available?

15. DSpaceNine's rating of the film Black Sunday

I didn't appreciate this film as much as many others seem to, but the visuals are awe inspiring. Wonderful photography in a passable old-school horror flick. Might be up for a re-watch before it leaves the service.

16. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Black Sunday

As has been pointed out, Black Sunday is a gorgeous film with a great, spooky atmosphere. But the dubbing is pretty bad and no interesting theme really arises from the concept that the central witch offends Christian puerility through her connection to Satan. Marrying witchcraft to vampirism for a bit of a subgenre mashup was a cool idea, though, and I'd love to see more of Barbara Steel because of this.

17. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Black Sunday

Probably my favorite of Bava's films. Very great tonal quality at play here. Bava does a great job of mixing sound and music into his horrific moments to amp up the terror and creepy tone. There is some bad dubbing and weak voice acting at times, but overall this film is stylistic delightful and one of the better giallo films. And Barbara Steele's eyes... yikes! So awesome.

18. Miguel_GFloyd's rating of the film Black Sunday

Black Sunday, is striking in some of its visual aspect as well as its classic musical score, which was enjoyable. While the film would be considered a horror film of its time, it lacks any truly terrifying moments in comparison to today’s standards. While there are a few notable scenes worthy of the genre’s name, the story as a whole isn’t entirely riveting and so not entirely worth the watch.

19. Myles's rating of the film Black Sunday

Nice lighting! Irritating ending, as usual.

20. FISCHER's rating of the film Black Sunday

Un classique du fantastique ! www.cinefiches.com

21. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Black Sunday

You have to stop burning her at the stake. She's just gonna keep coming back every 200 years. Steele is just slightly awkward, which is endearing, and the cinematography is great.

22. kartina obskura's rating of the film Black Sunday

3,5 love stories and witches ♥

23. ceknklsn's rating of the film Black Sunday

24. zohen lux's rating of the film Black Sunday

this was genuinely scary and i truly hope when my body rises from the ground 200 years from now my eyeliner remains intact too