1. FISCHER's rating of the film Bleak Moments

Remarquable et superbe ! www.cinefiches.com

2. _Lilith_'s rating of the film Bleak Moments

My favorite romantic comedy.

3. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film Bleak Moments

I read a piece recently where Leigh acknowledged his pride for this film - rightly so: such an uncompromising aesthetic at work here. The performances capture sharply and unsentimentally the seemingly unbridgeable gap between people. Presumably this is also the result of the improvisatory development process which, unlike some of his later work, does not lapse into something too mannered. Excruciating, funny and sad.

4. Rachel Aylett's rating of the film Bleak Moments

I'm a huge fan of Leigh and have seen all his films. Recently watched this for the second time and it's terrific. The lead actress is outstanding and I'm amazed she didn't go on to bigger things. Sometimes its too painful to watch the embarrassment. Outstanding debut from a master filmmaker.

5. Laura Hitchman's rating of the film Bleak Moments

Perfectly awkward. Great characters well-acted, more intriguing than gripping so only a 3.

6. Yiota's rating of the film Bleak Moments

i felt naked whilst watching this. i would watch it again and again

7. Michael Clarke's rating of the film Bleak Moments

8. Crina Cătălina's rating of the film Bleak Moments

Painfully slow, with an insufferable bunch of socially constipated characters.

9. 'king Harold's rating of the film Bleak Moments

The exact polar opposite of a Marvel film with too much CGI.

10. raggiodisole's rating of the film Bleak Moments

Was anything as precise a putdown and observation of British mores. Fluent in its use of language and silence to portray the tensions of a frustrated life. Not sure I could tolerate a second viewing though

11. kris's rating of the film Bleak Moments

Its a film that will get you thinking and at times shouting as it is rather slow, i was waiting for something to happen. I did enjoy taking a look at the era and how things used to be, bleak moments indeed

12. Bertie Dixon's rating of the film Bleak Moments

This film is for the most really awkward, and it's brilliant. There are even moments of humour; the restaurant scene is masterful.

13. Superfrog's rating of the film Bleak Moments

I am starting to think I can't do Mike Leigh. On paper I should like the film, in person I want to run away.

14. kimsha100's rating of the film Bleak Moments

Beautifully shot and lit (in a bleak kind of way). Marvellous portrayal of London life in early seventies surburbia. Autism was little known and understood, so in a way, Sylvia is a pariah. I feel for her, especially when the teacher spurns her. Mike Leigh's first film. Quintessentially British ...

15. PanelSystem's rating of the film Bleak Moments

Time hasn't been kind to the audio recording, but Mike Leigh's cinema of heightened character quirks is fully formed here and straight from theatre -unrooted in documentary, it's nothing like the 'realism' of Ken Loach or Maurice Pialat. Contorted by awkwardness, truth comes in spurts, and in an accumulation of desperation. The characters all matter; the sherry moment and the trouser moment are bitingly poignant.

16. innersmiff's rating of the film Bleak Moments

As read as a satire of British reticence and social anxiety, it's brilliant, but tough to sit through.

17. Oh, hi Denny's rating of the film Bleak Moments

life before smartphones was weird

18. chazell's rating of the film Bleak Moments

just disappointed Sylvia didn't turn out to be a vampire

19. Christopher W's rating of the film Bleak Moments

Bleak Moments indeed .. a good reflection of Great Cheetham Street East Salford 7 in the 1960s.

20. Natty's rating of the film Bleak Moments

21. miles's rating of the film Bleak Moments

22. Ayesha Casely-Hayford's rating of the film Bleak Moments

Sylvia: “I was just saying something to you in my head...it was quite amusing...” - ha! This is brilliant, so funny, so sad. Can’t get more real. The characters created are exceptional, subtle & true in every single movement, each flicker of the eye. That restaurant scene - too good. A lesson on living your life or risk getting crippled by a fear of your own breathing! And a bottle of sherry for 59 pence. Winner.

23. baba lola's rating of the film Bleak Moments

A good film about repression. At confusing at first but by the end its rhythm will become clear

24. FéverParallésime's rating of the film Bleak Moments

I'm not nearly articulate enough to write about everything that makes this movie as good as it is