1. Ben Wheeler's rating of the film Blood Simple

While I wasn't interested in the characters, nor their fates, I was fascinated by the Coen's 1st effort. Many of their directing trademarks are there: the opening montage with voiceover (No Country), the meaninglessness of triggered events (Burn after Reading) & classic dream sequences (Big Lebowski, Serious Man). It's all there. Man, have they honed their craft since then. It's not bad, just evidence of talent.

2. Rattzz Matanzano's rating of the film Blood Simple

Nice! A build-up of tension, like a good Hitchcock or Tarantino!

3. A47's rating of the film Blood Simple

A wonderful modern noir. There are some brilliant transitions and an urgency to the edits which, i'm afraid, haven't been seen since from the Coens. The range of color successfully used in this film is rare. Great use of props and objects to tell story. Minus a few dialogue scenes, great acting. Spike Lee-like command of place. Scorsese-like use of music. Superb pacing and a story that keeps on giving.

4. Abby.'s rating of the film Blood Simple

Not great, but a solid debut. The cast is good.

5. Daniela's rating of the film Blood Simple

Kinda stupid, but in a good way.

6. Zach Gutierrez's rating of the film Blood Simple

Great little film. It's nice to see how far they have come.

7. Brian O'blivion's rating of the film Blood Simple

John Getz does his best to ruin the whole movie. Otherwise the cast is great.

8. James's rating of the film Blood Simple

Up there with Kane as far as unprecedentedly perfect debut features go. I'd be surprised if the Coens put out a film as lean, mean, and pungent as this at this point in their career. Masterpiece.

9. Lee's rating of the film Blood Simple

One of the most underrated Coens films. I really like it.

10. AntioneOscar69's rating of the film Blood Simple

The roots of arguably the greatest pair of directors of their era; a brutal, twisty, neo-noir classic

11. nothere's rating of the film Blood Simple

Very close to perfect with a few narrative missteps(dat dream sequence). The Coen brothers direct this thing to hell and back. Upon a re-watch, I couldn't help but think of Sam Riami's slight influence in the film; take notice of a few jarring camera shots(burial scene & the finger breaking scene) and that truly horrific climatic stabbing!

12. Harry Rossi's rating of the film Blood Simple

A great start for two of the greatest directors of all time!

13. Aditya Watts's rating of the film Blood Simple

14. Dave's rating of the film Blood Simple

The Coens' neo-noir debut and a strong one at that. It's a "creeper" of a film, one that is likely to pull you back in to re-watch.

15. Nosada's rating of the film Blood Simple

16. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Blood Simple

How to shoot a Film Noir in 1984 ? Ask the Coen brothers, they dit it. With class. They just added to the classic recipe an ounce of black humor, two drops of unrealism, a pinch of brogue and some variations about the word "Blood" which is not as simple as one could imagine. Shake a little, allow to simmer gently during 94 minutes and you'll get the near perfect spaghetti Film Noir. Highly recommended.

17. Katherine's rating of the film Blood Simple

I must say I was a little disappointed in this. Granted it's one of the last Coen Bros.' movies I have yet to see and its reputation precedes it, and yet...it left me a little cold. Very stylish but not much warmth.

18. Beneezy's rating of the film Blood Simple

First Film of Coen Brothers = Great First Film of Coen Brothers

19. Eloi MV's rating of the film Blood Simple

Coen's second best to Barton Fink I think. A Masterpiece!

20. Rob Davies's rating of the film Blood Simple

21. nallan's rating of the film Blood Simple

The Coens Bros were clearly talented from the get go! This is one of their best IMO. In style and quality it is up there w/ Fargo, and No Country.

22. Christopher's rating of the film Blood Simple

I just want to say that this film has possibly the best final 30 seconds of any other.

23. L.A.™'s rating of the film Blood Simple

WOW. An amazing film debut from the Coen's foreshadowing their greatness. Calculating, violent, beautiful, manipultaive. All these things simpy rolled into one.

1 2 3 4 6 Next →