1. Feng Ling's rating of the film Blue in the Face

slices of Brooklyn life I suppose. Fun, weird, and kinda insightful. And now I get to know some baseball history. It could be better with more production value, though that might work against the "Brooklyn spirit"

2. Carrie Hunter's rating of the film Blue in the Face

Too silly and dumb for my taste.

3. Lillian Tong's rating of the film Blue in the Face

It's witty and gives me a warm feeling inside.

4. David R Williams's rating of the film Blue in the Face

Hilarious. Far better than Smoke.

5. Nick Potter's rating of the film Blue in the Face

Certainly not quite as cohesive as Smoke, but then again, this one has Jim Jarmusch, so call it a draw. Keitel is endlessly watchable, and Esposito is an underrated delight as well.

6. Jun Ho Park's rating of the film Blue in the Face

7. Laura Hitchman's rating of the film Blue in the Face

3.5 loved the community feel. JJ is so cool.

8. corycorycorycory's rating of the film Blue in the Face

A full extra star for the Keitel v Jarmusch alone. What a pairing. The whole cast was well above par. Hervery Keitel just slays as Augie. Otherwise, I was more or less let down after being swift'ed away by "Smoke."

9. elena pop's rating of the film Blue in the Face

I loved it even more than Smoke. Amazing vibes and a great genuine feel. A celebration of life and Brooklyn - dynamic, crazy funny and witty.

10. Kaonashiii's rating of the film Blue in the Face

A nice companion piece to Smoke. Looks like they had fun making it. I'm curious as to whether those were Lou Reed's real glasses and whether Ru Paul's legs are taller than I am.

11. raggiodisole's rating of the film Blue in the Face

Freewheeling 90's style, unselfconsciously and joyously

12. Superfrog's rating of the film Blue in the Face

Like Smoke, a meandering set of stories. Pleasant because unpretentious; akin to going to a pub with a mate telling you random anecdotes.

13. gabi gabi gabi's rating of the film Blue in the Face

There were good moments, but I thought some of the characters were cliche. I got bored about three-fourths of the way through. Haven't seen Smoke, but watched because Paul Auster was a director. Roseanne Barr and Mel Gorham were at the core of the piece for me. Study in the potential problems (but also benefits) of working with an incomplete script.

14. ijustgetbored's rating of the film Blue in the Face

This film works (in a way Smoke does not) by not attempting to force a narrative arc onto a meandering story. The points when "plot" comes up are the weakest: selling the store, Jackie Robinson. The improv and episodic nature run the risk of giving the viewer whiplash, but being jolted around is preferable to a tired narrative bemoaning gentrification (and the problems of Auggie, a tiresome Suffering Man trope).

15. Ian Pike's rating of the film Blue in the Face

Gave up after 15 minutes. Doesn't have any of the charm and humanity of Smoke, at least not positive humanity. The negative isn't that entertaining, especially outside of any narrative context. Basically, it makes all Brookliners look like people you would not want to know. Episodic and irritating.

16. selinja's rating of the film Blue in the Face

This made me doubt my love for its predecessor Smoke. It's super hammy, navel gazing, with Keitel awkwardly gluing the narrative together with sketchy improv. I give it 2 stars for Mel Gorham in the mirror, Jim Jarmusch's scene, and that David Byrne was a musical exec.

17. Steve G.'s rating of the film Blue in the Face

Felt like the cinematic equivalent of a Bombay mix. Some parts work (all of Jim Jarmusch and Malik Yoba) and when they do, it's very funny indeed. If they had cut out all of Lou Reed's stuff and the stupid Jackie Robinson bit then it would have been considerably better.

18. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Blue in the Face

Were all the good movies gone from the video store when you picked up this sequel to a failure? Can I pick some movies? Lately it's been more miss than hit.

19. John Tuohy's rating of the film Blue in the Face

I don't know if being born and raised in Brooklyn automatically makes this a must see film but I'm sure it helps. Also the fantastic cast list makes it all the better. I love it! Also, don't miss Smoke.

20. PanelSystem's rating of the film Blue in the Face

It shares a location and a couple of characters with Smoke, but this is very different - almost a VHS extra. A celebration of Brooklyn through improv sketches, vox pops and one celebrity interview, it's a very mixed bag. Some performers are over-indulged, others bring it to life: Lou Reed and the vox poppers, Malik Yoba and Giancarlo Esposito, Madonna (WTF?). Curiosity keeps it watchable.

21. Christian's rating of the film Blue in the Face

What they tried to achieve was the rich, feisty, funny-without-knowing-why Brooklyn of the last century. A nostalgic piece. But maybe they should have set it in that period. they neighborhood they set it in isn't really like this at any more. It's yuppies and film editors and documentarians and yoga studio owners. The grit and color of working people have been pushed farther out in the periphery

22. kris's rating of the film Blue in the Face

i want to go to Brooklyn and eat Belgium Waffles.

23. Tja's rating of the film Blue in the Face

Had I not first seen Smoke and then viewed this sequel, I would have been less impressed. Blue is less tightly structured and more limited in its generally happy emotional range than its forebear. Yet, the warmth of the Brooklyn characters with the addition of Madonna as a singing telegram dressed as a bell-hop, continue to captivate. Wisely, Wayne left it here.

24. Sarah Pietsch's rating of the film Blue in the Face

Easy to watch, enjoyable. Love story to Brooklyn and its people.