1. pintobean's rating of the film Blue

Saw in Barcelona and had to legitimately tear myself away. Entrancing.

2. OldGermanCurrency's rating of the film Blue

In the pandemonium of image, I present you the universal Blue, an open door to soul, an infinite possibility becoming tangible.

3. DSPRKY's rating of the film Blue

Not everyone gets to write their own eulogy. Jarman takes full advantage of the opportunity. 3.5/5.

4. Korial's rating of the film Blue

Mostly an auditory experience. The soundtrack and the monologue are among the most touching things I have ever listened to in my whole, short, life. Watched/listened to it about forty or more times, and I still cry. One of the movies I will carry with me in my life.

5. qw0aszx's rating of the film Blue

Watching Jarman's Blue on big screen is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE from watching it on computer, such kind of strong endless deep emotions surrounding you, one of the best cinema experiences I've had so far. Four stars changed to FIVE STARS.

6. stuartdj's rating of the film Blue

Long before top quality home entertainment arrived, people in the U.K. would put their Hi-Fi speakers either side of their (poorly equipped for sound) TV sets and have a great picture and great sound. This was normally just done by the BBC. However, for Blue the film was broadcast by Channel 4 (with sound but without commercial breaks) but with a much better soundtrack carried by the BBC on Radio 3. Great stuff.

7. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Blue

Stripping cinema of almost everything visual (the screen is simply an unchanging, solid shade of blue) and exploring the art through sound and feeling. But in a way the image is almost the most important. It’s the canvas we project the images onto, images that are in blue. I wonder how the experience would change from color to color. It’s hard to imagine anything but blue.

8. Shawn Faust's rating of the film Blue

9. lostlevel's rating of the film Blue

It's a hard one to watch... I confess I don't always find Jarman's work easy to watch but it still casts a strange magic. This film is challenging not only due to the static frame but the forced meditation it instills as a result of the lack of stimulus beyond the sound. It's rather harrowing and mournful but Jarman is eloquent reaffirming his mastery of the medium(s). I can't help but feel deeply effected by this.

10. bryanvmh's rating of the film Blue

"How are we to be represented, if we are to be represented at all?" Never have I been more aware of the edges of my TV screen. Never have I had the kind of piercing headache I got from looking at the screen. Eno kills it.

11. Samuel Wells's rating of the film Blue

With nothing but a blue screen to look at, Derek Jarman gives you nothing to do but focus on the monologue and symphony of other noises that he plays with. The subject material is bleak and challenging while opening the viewer to have a personal investment to the speaker's trial. It rings especially true for me as well. The film does not read one note, instead it provides moments of absurdism to endear it further.

12. Kamran's rating of the film Blue

Not a film but an impressive work of art using elements of sound/music, poetry/metaphor to express something vital & true 85/100 - Excellent (4.5)

13. Luther Ayers's rating of the film Blue

Although very daring this film didn't quiet hit the mark for me. The use of only audio stimuli is what gave this film any value to me. It's interesting for this main reason. A very interesting use of emotion linked as well. Story caught my attention at moments but left me feeling let down at others.

14. David R Williams's rating of the film Blue

Must read: http://jclarkmedia.com/jarman/jarman11.html

15. EdieEmm's rating of the film Blue

Take away the Image, "the prison of the soul", & what's left? Everything. "Blue", Jarman's everything, "transcends the solemn geography of human limitations." Image limits the world to what's visible; "Blue is an open door to soul". I don't know what it says about cinema that Blue's the most intimate film I know, but I know what it says about Jarman. A piece of the Infinite made tangible, before he left to join it.

16. Jeremy Barker's rating of the film Blue

17. unearthly_red's rating of the film Blue

i can't believe there really was nothing on that screen for 1 hour 16 minutes. i thought i won't be able to sit through it, given how my attention span is roughly 2 minutes.

18. Myles's rating of the film Blue

Of the Jarman films I've seen, this is the least annoying and the most powerful. Thank you for leaving us with a bang.

19. Anna Keefe's rating of the film Blue

Blue pushes the boundaries of what is considered a performance art of sorts and what is actually film. With only some flickers of the camera and film reel to indicate that there is any movement throughout the film, figuring out what one is watching is confusing. That being said, the color and sound were both mesmerizing and interesting to look at, just not for the length that the film lasted.

20. Landen Celano's rating of the film Blue

21. turnerBroadcast p3Dr0's rating of the film Blue

This was a film in which I discovered that the glass quality on my monitor really makes a difference. A warmth - a brightness, and a daring that I've never seen in any film - before or since. It is also one of the most difficult to watch. A cross between reflection, horror and the Rats of NIMH. Watch it carefully, give it a chance. The best strategy is to simply listen at first but be aware. Clean your screen.

22. Zac Weber's rating of the film Blue

I'm disappointed I waited so long to "watch" this sapphire mindbender. I always assumed the theoretical dedication would eventually grow tiresome, but the incredible sound design is unlike anything I've ever experienced. I won't soon forget the sense of inescapability — from both life and art — that lingered with me when the film ended.

23. Mtume Gant's rating of the film Blue

Jarman was the master of blending the personal with protest, Blue being a deeply personal goodbye mixed with a final set of middle fingers towards the establishment he loathed. No other filmmaker could make this piece, which is easily the greatest comment you can give a work. Masterpiece

24. saltwater's rating of the film Blue

A powerful and immersive work of art